Talk about whatever you want to here, but stay correct
#325684 by Clement
Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:31 pm
Watched back Mr.Nobody after a long while

there's definitely a brilliance to that movie and a real struggle to deliver a somewhat coherent message about life and our place in this incoherent mess that the universe is , I found that pretty great. And I probably need to watch it again to go deeper into its meaning. But it still has some flaws , for exemple , it tries to justify its ending with scientific concepts such as entropy and the arrow of time but I can't help but feel that it is a bit far fetched .

Anyway , I still had an interesting time ;)
#325702 by Bookwyrm83
Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:04 am
Doctor Strange.

Benedict Cumberbatch as a fun, sardonic yet sympathetic fish out of water in a pretty kaleidoscope of Marvel action.
He also gets to play something of a similar role as Iron Man, as when he starts he is rich, arrogant though undeniably brilliant. After being damaged however he must rely on others to teach him what is right, except he goes looking for it actively, without a cent to his name.

Visually appealing, well cast (despite some controversy) and has a good story that will serve well in future films to come in the MCU. I'm actually looking forward to another Strange standalone, where they delve into more of the "weird stuff" they couldn't include here.
#325739 by Bookwyrm83
Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:52 am
Rogue One.

I can safely say I enjoyed it and have so far seen it twice. There may be a third viewing in the future.
While some reviews I noticed after found it too dry for their liking, I appreciate the fact that they didn't make it a complete family film. They promised a war movie and they delivered. The fact that it is better than the Lucas-helmed prequels is more than enough reason to recommend it. For myself, I liked it more than The Force Awakens.

That said, I do want to address a few things, so...
Spoiler: show
CGI Peter Cushing and Carrie Fisher - holy fuck this can go either way. Leia is more convincing because you only see her face for a few quick seconds at the end. With Tarkin however it's pretty obvious they have a stand-in with digital alterations. Sometimes it looks absolutely convincing but when he talks, that's where you can see the seams. A nice concept for characters that existed around this chronology but it can remove you from the moment.
Lack of Darth Vader - I don't mind because he wasn't necessarily required throughout the movie. They saved him up and made his scenes stand out. To borrow a line from Tarkin, he was a statement, not a manifesto. And what a hell of a statement he made.
Like Force Awakens, there were a few cameos here and there but they were welcome. Another surprise however were shots lifted directly from the original Star Wars during the final battle. I later read after my first viewing that these were archival shots unused in any version of the movie but you could've fooled me (technically they did); these bits look perfectly integrated into the rest of the action.
Finally, regarding the two leads, Jyn and Cassian. I liked them both because they were damaged, jaded and pissed off. Considering the war scenario they're in, I don't expect them to be cracking jokes or showing warmth all that often. That's not to say they don't (Felicity Jones shares some very emotional scenes with Mads Mikkelsen) but considering this movie's tone, they played their parts exactly as they should. Naturally some won't like the grey areas as much but I think it was necessary and when those warm aspects do appear, especially at the end, they feel worth the wait.
#325810 by Bookwyrm83
Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:06 pm
Thread bump - another double feature.

Assassin's Creed - calling this one of the better movies based on a video game is being both generous and sadly accurate when you make comparisons. Its more sedate moments actually work best because those allow for suspense and immersion, whereas the action scenes fall prey to the trend of being a confusing slog. A few bad edits, a story that's barely serviceable and an anti-climactic ending don't help matters, either. In its favor though, it is well-cast and has a good (original) soundtrack. Fine if you try to ignore the source material but don't expect that much to begin with.

Hitman: Agent 47 - this one was just bad. More faithful to the lore of the games than the previous Hitman movie, yet less fun, less logical and far too jumbled in its action moments. The acting and storytelling are also too dry and dull to work, though admittedly it does have a few decent moments. Rupert Friend tries as 47 but I don't think he needed an American accent (especially as his English one peeks out occasionally and would have been fine). In the unlikely event they make another movie out of this game, I highly recommend jettisoning Skip Woods from the writers' room. I also recommend skipping this movie, unless you want to give it the MST3K treatment.
#325820 by EphelDuath666
Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:43 pm
I'm currently watching all of Guillermo del Toro's movies with audio commentary by del Toro. Love this guy. He might just be my favorite director, definitely one of my favorites for sure. So very passionate and also quite geeky. You can tell that he really loves what he's doing and he's a real fountain of geek knowledge too. Kinda wish Hollywood studios had a little more faith in him. It's almost a crime when there's a year without a del Toro movie. In my opinion anyways, heh.
#325821 by vt1100
Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:46 am
John Wick - Chapter 2. This pretty much continues from first one and kind of follows same pattern too, if you liked first then you most likely will like this one too. Also Keanu kind of fits for this kind of role perfectly.

Logan. Holy shit!!! This is THE Wolverine movie. Dark, gritty and violent, althought there is humor here and there. I like the idea that there is comic based movies that are made for mature audience, and as this one will surely be a box office hit I'm sure we'll see more of this kind of stuff. Dredd, Deadpool and now Logan, me likey.
#325822 by Bookwyrm83
Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:05 am
I too recently saw Logan and was very impressed. It hit all the right emotional notes and gave us the true essence of the characters. Realistic violence and genuine stakes were also well-utilized.
I'd hold it up there with Deadpool as one of the best in the X-Men series, and as a great example of what a mature audience comic film should be. This warrants a second viewing.
#325825 by EphelDuath666
Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:33 pm
Saw Kong: Skull Island in theater a few days ago and I have to say...'twas fun! Looking forward to Kong vs. Godzilla. And the Godzilla sequel will hopefully be good too. I rewatched the first one a while back and still felt underwhelmed. And it wasn't even the fact that Godzilla was hardly in it. But the movie could have used a better protagonist.

I wish J.A. Bayona had directed the first one. I was really hoping for a mixture of The Impossible (directed by Bayona) and Pacific Rim (directed by Guillermo del Toro who also produced Bayona's The Orphanage). You know, a great mix of drama and monster action with a great cast. I mean, Cranston and Binoche are great but...

Spoiler: show
they die pretty early in the movie and then you're stuck with Aaron Taylor-Johnson for the remainder of the flick
. So that's why, to me, Godzilla was a bit of a missed opportunity. Not bad by any means but also not great. So here's hoping that the sequel turns out great!

But back to Kong. I really, really liked it. Was it the best monster movie ever? Nope. But it's fun, has a great cast and really great special effects and action.