Talk about whatever you want to here, but stay correct
#320208 by Bookwyrm83
Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:04 am
Keeker wrote:Pffft... it was all over the news - hardly a spoiler. Though I must confess I don't get the whole 'spoiled' thing. Nobody would ever watch a movie or read a book more than once if that were crucial for enjoyment. :D


Fortunately I'm on book 4 and read that little scene before it aired.
Unfortunately, as far as the show goes, I haven't actually watched past season 1. I'm still to keeping to my decision to read the books (granted I'm taking my sweet-ass time) before watching the show. I allowed my self the first season after book 3 and noticed just how far ahead even that season was leap-frogging the story. It also felt watching a Reader's Digest rendition, in a way.
#320213 by JuZ
Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:17 am
Keeker wrote:Pffft... it was all over the news - hardly a spoiler. Though I must confess I don't get the whole 'spoiled' thing. Nobody would ever watch a movie or read a book more than once if that were crucial for enjoyment. :D


My wife has read the books and deliberately told me to avoid commercial news outlets until I'd seen that episode. So I did and I enjoyed that moment very much.

Much more so than I would have by reading about it via a passing comment on a forum (or an unscrupulous news site).

PS I am your father, she's a bloke and the quiet, crippled bloke is the criminal mastermind.
#320224 by Keeker
Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:10 pm
I have been known to read the last page of a book before I decide whether it's worth buying. :mrgreen:
#320226 by JuZ
Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:19 pm
Keeker wrote:I have been known to read the last page of a book before I decide whether it's worth buying. :mrgreen:


:lol: Wow!
#321297 by Pik_Nick'92
Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:20 pm
Hardy har thread revival!

Started watching Guillermo Del Toro's The Strain recently. Haven't read the book series its based on but so far its pretty good and promising with what episodes have already aired. Despite the way vampires have been portrayed in film/TV lately, it's good to actually see them put in their somewhat original light, only this time with slight differences. Not really groundbreaking yet, but worth watching if you like that stuff :D

Also been late to the boat and grabbed True Detective on Blu ray a while back and just finished it...Well damn what a story :shock:
#322114 by Bookwyrm83
Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:04 am
Been re-watching Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey. While the show delivers an excellent presentation of human and cosmic histories, there are times where I expect Neil deGrasse Tyson to break out into Monty Python's Galaxy Song.
Anyway, worth watching if you haven't seen it.
#322118 by Keeker
Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:28 pm
Bookwyrm83 wrote:Been re-watching Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey. While the show delivers an excellent presentation of human and cosmic histories, there are times where I expect Neil deGrasse Tyson to break out into Monty Python's Galaxy Song.
Anyway, worth watching if you haven't seen it.

I watched the first episode but was seriously put off by the rather poorly done cartoon sections. It felt like they weren't aiming at adults somehow. I failed to watch the rest. Probably should have as it might have changed my opinion. I think I just expected something more like the original Carl Sagan series but with updated graphics and so forth but for whatever reason that first episode didn't feel right.
#322130 by Bookwyrm83
Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:20 pm
I thought the animated scenes worked, however they do become more interesting as the series progresses; they're also meant to have a multigenerational aim. Maybe give it another chance, as there's a lot of great material throughout the show (at least in my opinion).
#322144 by Octillus
Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:04 am
Keeker wrote:
Bookwyrm83 wrote:Been re-watching Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey. While the show delivers an excellent presentation of human and cosmic histories, there are times where I expect Neil deGrasse Tyson to break out into Monty Python's Galaxy Song.
Anyway, worth watching if you haven't seen it.

I watched the first episode but was seriously put off by the rather poorly done cartoon sections. It felt like they weren't aiming at adults somehow. I failed to watch the rest. Probably should have as it might have changed my opinion. I think I just expected something more like the original Carl Sagan series but with updated graphics and so forth but for whatever reason that first episode didn't feel right.


You have to remember that for Americans, the kids of todays' parents bailed on space - you do have to be multigenerational, and you have none of the buzz of the moon landing and NASA in the 70s to help you.
#322150 by swervedriver
Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:54 am
Started watching House of Cards. It seems pretty intriguing so far, but still need to get used to the main character (Kevin Spacey) occasionally narrating while directly facing the camera. I suppose it's a way to get us viewers more on his side while he manipulates everything from within and doing otherwise bastard-things. Feels a bit weird though, like suddenly we're a character in the room, but then immediately after we're invisible again.
#322152 by KeasbyNights
Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:21 am
^Breaking the third wall, I believe that method is called. When the character directly addresses the audience. It's always a bit unnerving when you don't expect it.
#322155 by Bookwyrm83
Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:31 am
It's the fourth wall, actually.

I like it when shows and movies do that, as long as the gag is clever (mostly is).
#322158 by KeasbyNights
Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:10 am
Damn, one wall off. I knew that didn't sound quite right. My cousin recommended a british tv show that did that frequently. Miranda, I think it was called.
#322187 by Lettuce
Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:40 pm
Peaky Blinders, a mate of mine is actually starring in this as Tom Hardy's character's nephew. Won't lie...it's...pretty fucking cool.
#322350 by Bookwyrm83
Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:29 am
Gotham has been interesting so far (first two episodes just aired here).
I just hope this series doesn't turn out like Under the Dome and prematurely run out of momentum.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest