Talk about whatever you want to here, but stay correct
#273933 by stubear280
Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:40 pm
Forgive me if there's already a topic for this, but I was wondering what TV shows everyone here has been fancying.

Me personally, I've been watching Rescue Me. It took me a while to get into it, it's so painful to watch. (To me, Kenny is the only likable character) It's good once you adjust to it.

I've also been digging Wilfred, I think it's really funny, Elijah Wood is awesome, I loved him ever since I saw Everything is Illuminated, and the guy who plays Wilfred is great, also.
Louie is fantastic, probably my favorite comedy on TV. I think Louis C.K. is great, I love everything he's done. I love the way he combined comedy with honest life lessons (not in the cheesy sitcom kinda way, either.) and this season, I've REALLY been digging his directing skills. He almost makes it seem surreal, there's no show like it on TV right now.

I'm eagerly awaiting the return of Breaking Bad, Bryan Cranston surprised me with his acting chops, and helped make it the most addicting show I've ever seen.

Parks & Rec is coming back, I love Ron Swanson, I think he's the best character since the Fonz, and the greatest mustache of all time. That show has really awesome characters all around. I love how each one has an insane amount to of depth to them, it's really awesome.

and Dexter is coming back! The last season was a bit disappointing I felt, but season 4 was awesome. Jon Lithgow brought it in a big, bad way.

Anyway, if anyone has any shows they like, I'd love some suggestions! (again, sorry if this already been made a topic, I looked around a bit and didn't see one)
#273935 by Octillus
Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:03 pm
Louie is wonderful, and by far my favorite thing on TV.

Except for The Venture Bros. That's top tier for me for many many reasons.
#273936 by ppinkham
Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:16 pm
The last TV show I actually followed was Battlestar Gallactica. I really don't watch any tv now, honestly. Not enough hours in the day, and I just never have the time. Well, I have time, I just choose to do other things with it. lol
#273937 by stubear280
Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:19 pm
Octillus wrote:Louie is wonderful, and by far my favorite thing on TV.

Except for The Venture Bros. That's top tier for me for many many reasons.

Glad I found someone here who shares my love for Louie! Something about that show, it just seems so... real, for a change. Louis C.K's acting and directing has matured so much over the years. Going back, and watching Pootie Tang just seems weird that it's by the same guy (don't get me wrong, I love me some Pootie)

Venture Bros. is so supremely awesome, too! Patrick Warburton has an amazing voice, and is a perfect fit for Brock Samson, not to mention Stephen Colbert's Professor Impossible (another fantastic voice, listening to him read I am America (and so can you) was one of the best audio books ever.

As far as Adult Swim goes, I love Metalocalypse, awesome satire of metal, such off beat humor, I love it! I was a little bummed by the lack of plot development in season 3, but I'm hoping season 4 brings the epicness of season 2!
#273952 by Bookwyrm83
Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:25 am
^Love Metalocalypse, waiting for season 4.

For shows running now:
Family Guy and American Dad I enjoy; didn't care for The Cleveland Show at first, but warming up to the new season. Futurama is also awesome, old and new.
New Wilfred I am enjoying; the original Australian series was funny, but was a bit flat; I like the direction this version is taking.
US version of Being Human is pretty good, gonna see where that goes.
Law & Order: SVU, I enjoy watching that.
And Craig Ferguson.
#273953 by fragility
Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:27 am
Nearly all of my favourite shows have finished now :o(

About the only things I watch are Big Bang Theory and Dexter (we're only just starting season 5 over here so pleeeeeeeeease don't spoil anything for those of us who are such a long way behind)
#273955 by Bookwyrm83
Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:30 am
We're further behind than you (arguably). I haven't seen the new Dexter either, but I'm waiting!
Oh, season 4 of Californication, almost forgot.
#273958 by stubear280
Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:02 am
Bookwyrm83 wrote:^Love Metalocalypse, waiting for season 4.

For shows running now:
Family Guy and American Dad I enjoy; didn't care for The Cleveland Show at first, but warming up to the new season. Futurama is also awesome, old and new.
New Wilfred I am enjoying; the original Australian series was funny, but was a bit flat; I like the direction this version is taking.
US version of Being Human is pretty good, gonna see where that goes.
Law & Order: SVU, I enjoy watching that.
And Craig Ferguson.

Family Guy and American Dad, I love. The Cleveland Show grew on me, too. I love that David Lynch pretty much made fun of himself. I think it's awesome he's self aware enough for that. I LOVE Futurama, better than The Simpsons, which hasn't been good in years. Being Human I have not seen, Law &Order SVU is good, Craig Ferguson is the only late night guy I can stand.

Fragility, a lot of the shows I like are done with, too. Arrested Development is one of my favorite shows ever, but that was cancelled years ago. Such a shame, too. It so damned original and funny! I also love News/Radio. Phil Hartman was AWESOME, I really miss that guy. I also love Roseanne (I'm a huge John Goodman fan), so seeing David in the Big Bang Theory is great! The season of Dexter is pretty crazy. That's all I'm gonna say. :D

Also, while I'm thinking about it, the sketch comedy show Whitest Kids U Know is fucking awesome, in my book. It blows new SNL outta the water!!
#273959 by Faffy
Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:54 am
Dexter, Silent Witness, Six Feet Under, House, QI, The Daily Show, A Bit of Fry and Laurie, Survivors, Old Cartoon Network (Cow and Chicken, I am Weasel, Dexter's Laboratory...)

I don't watch TV much, so the only series I'm keeping 100% track of is Dexter. I LOVE THE LAST SEASON.

Also... it would seem like I've watched a lot of Sex and the City... because every time there's an episode running on TV... I've seen it before. :|
#273961 by Balu
Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:41 am
I have no idea what you guys like about Louie, when I tried it, I barely even smiled.

Anyway, for me, the best thing currently is Community, but I'm also following lots of other shows (far too many to list, mostly US sitcoms).
#273962 by stubear280
Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:54 am
Balu wrote:I have no idea what you guys like about Louie, when I tried it, I barely even smiled.

Anyway, for me, the best thing currently is Community, but I'm also following lots of other shows (far too many to list, mostly US sitcoms).

It's even about the comedy aspect, for me (even though I laugh my ass of), it's partially about capture the essence of awkwardness. I'm insanely awkward, so seeing other people like that and relating to it, is kinda special. Not to mention again, but I love where he's wound up in terms of directing. I love the styles he combined, it's kinda like Kevin Smith meets David Lynch, almost. (Both of whom, I love) I don't know. To each is his own, I just dig it a lot. I haven't seen the

I haven't seen the Community, I'll have to check it out.
#273970 by Octillus
Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:44 am
Louie isn't just awkwardness, it catches a realistic tone so many shows strive for without breaking a sweat, and doesn't mind eschewing that entire tone for the dreamlike and surreal. It's truly wonderful.

As far as Seth McFarlane stuff goes, I know I sound like a pretentious asshole when I say this and fully admit it's my opinion, but I think he's the fucking anti-christ of recycled jokes, piss-poor story-writing, and cheap animation whilst still having a budget and not doing anything creative with it. I hate his stupid random cut-away referential humor, and I basically HATE his work more than just about any other form of popular media. Only cuz I love animation so much. I really really really try not to hate things too.

I figure anything I say that I like from here on out's tainted, so I'll bow out.
#273973 by Tonya Elf
Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:16 am
Wow - too cheap to have cable or whatever it is people have now, and I get NO reception with my rabbit ears here - I watch a lot of TV but it's all streamed or DVDs or Hulu. I LOVE Metalocalypse and Futurama, I end up re-watching Star Trek, Star Trek TNG, Twilight Zone and Alfred Hitchcock a LOT. Thanks for the other ideas, I'll check some of them out.
#273975 by Balu
Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:50 am
stubear280 wrote:
Balu wrote:I have no idea what you guys like about Louie, when I tried it, I barely even smiled.

It's even about the comedy aspect, for me (even though I laugh my ass of), it's partially about capture the essence of awkwardness. I'm insanely awkward, so seeing other people like that and relating to it, is kinda special. Not to mention again, but I love where he's wound up in terms of directing. I love the styles he combined, it's kinda like Kevin Smith meets David Lynch, almost. (Both of whom, I love) I don't know. To each is his own, I just dig it a lot. I haven't seen the

I haven't seen the Community, I'll have to check it out.

The weird thing is, that based on what you wrote, it sounds like a show I'd absolutely love. I guess I'll have to give it another try.
#273976 by stubear280
Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:59 am
Octillus wrote:Louie isn't just awkwardness, it catches a realistic tone so many shows strive for without breaking a sweat, and doesn't mind eschewing that entire tone for the dreamlike and surreal. It's truly wonderful.

As far as Seth McFarlane stuff goes, I know I sound like a pretentious asshole when I say this and fully admit it's my opinion, but I think he's the fucking anti-christ of recycled jokes, piss-poor story-writing, and cheap animation whilst still having a budget and not doing anything creative with it. I hate his stupid random cut-away referential humor, and I basically HATE his work more than just about any other form of popular media. Only cuz I love animation so much. I really really really try not to hate things too.

I figure anything I say that I like from here on out's tainted, so I'll bow out.

Don't feel bad, there's some days I can't Seth's work. It seems like his shows can be a bit too "This is almost as bad as 'REPLACE something popular that everyone is secretly bugged by here'". If I haven't seen it in a while, I love it. I HATE when I watch it all of the time, though. It's basically that one friend that you can tolerate sometimes, but you wouldn't hang out with 24/7 like those closest to you, if that makes any sense. Don't get me wrong, I love it most of the time, but fuck, it can tire me out quickly.