Talk about whatever you want to here, but stay correct
#318179 by EphelDuath666
Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:01 pm
stubear280 wrote:No spoilers, I'm just gonna say this... Breaking fucking Bad.

best fucking episode so far. I swear my heart went bonkers. 1638272 bpm. :shock:
#318186 by stubear280
Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:22 am
So... THIS LOOKS SO AWESOME!

[youtube]kBTd9--9VMI[/youtube]
#318189 by Keeker
Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:50 am
I wondered if they'd remake the Sagan masterpiece. That was such a cool series I named a cat we had after it back in 1980. Mixed feelings about a remake though.
#318191 by Bookwyrm83
Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:42 am
I'm going to give Cosmos a shot simply because the people behind it are passionate about science and Sagan's legacy. Besides, Neil deGrasse Tyson is as good a successor as any.
#318198 by Keeker
Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:32 am
aleksi wrote:Can't wait for this, there's not nearly enough good science programs on television. People disliking the idea of a remake should remember that it's not about hero-worship or Carl Sagan. It's about the fucking cosmos :D

I don't remember the show so much for Carl Sagan as I do for hero-worship of Vangelis' music! :D I really remember it for being a ground-breaking visual experience.

We are lucky in that we do get a lot of science TV here, most notably a regular dose of Horizon, BBC Stargazing Live (though it's only once a year,) Dr Alice Roberts awesome series' on anthropology, Prof Cox's Wonders of the Solar System and Wonders of the Universe were good and Prof Ian Stewart's great shows on earth sciences. Even Dara O'Briain's Science Club injects some well-needed comedy into the science.

I have to admit I'd never heard of the presenter of this new US show until a couple of years ago and only via internet memes. If he's been on a science show here I've not seen it. The only USA TV science presenter I am familiar with is physicist Michio Kaku, from his many appearances on BBC documentaries.
#318203 by stubear280
Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:08 pm
TV needs another show like Cosmos me thinks, it being on Fox is probably gonna give it a wider audience too, which is nice. I love Neil and he's got the passion the show needs.

[youtube]9D05ej8u-gU[/youtube]

Here's his take on the whole, "We are all star stuff" thing. He makes it informative and emotional just like Carl did.
#318207 by JuZ
Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:40 pm
Keeker wrote:
aleksi wrote:Can't wait for this, there's not nearly enough good science programs on television. People disliking the idea of a remake should remember that it's not about hero-worship or Carl Sagan. It's about the fucking cosmos :D

I don't remember the show so much for Carl Sagan as I do for hero-worship of Vangelis' music! :D I really remember it for being a ground-breaking visual experience.

We are lucky in that we do get a lot of science TV here, most notably a regular dose of Horizon, BBC Stargazing Live (though it's only once a year,) Dr Alice Roberts awesome series' on anthropology, Prof Cox's Wonders of the Solar System and Wonders of the Universe were good and Prof Ian Stewart's great shows on earth sciences. Even Dara O'Briain's Science Club injects some well-needed comedy into the science.

I have to admit I'd never heard of the presenter of this new US show until a couple of years ago and only via internet memes. If he's been on a science show here I've not seen it. The only USA TV science presenter I am familiar with is physicist Michio Kaku, from his many appearances on BBC documentaries.

Yay for all the Carl Sagan and Neil deGrasse Tyson love in here right now! You guys are awesome.

I am an unabashed Neil deGrasse Tyson fan, so when I realised he was involved in this I literally jumped out of my chair. The guy is a legend as far as I'm concerned. He inspires me to think differently, and that's about the biggest compliment I can think of to give anyone.

Keeks, the "most astounding fact" clip is a very good indication of his presenting style. There are hours upon hours of his lectures, speeches and interviews on YouTube.

Stephen Colbert sums him up pretty well when he talks about his favourite guest: "Not only do I love what Neil knows, but I love that he loves what he doesn't know".

Here are a couple of short clips to give you an idea of the way he thinks, rather than the hour plus lectures that are out there and are worth watching if you have too much time to kill:

[youtube]CzSMC5rWvos[/youtube]

[youtube]danYFxGnFxQ[/youtube]

#318210 by stubear280
Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:31 pm
Although we may not get Carl's great turtle necks, we will get Neil's great space themed neck ties. :D

In all serious, though... I'm not pitting Sagan and Tyson against each other seeing how they have the same goal, to educate people. Both Sagan and Tyson want people to know how astounding it is that we're even alive and how astounding it is that we've come this far and that the universe holds a lot that we can learn from, take that knowledge and apply it in a way that we can improve and extend life. (run on sentence, no fucks given.) This is a show that people need now, it's hopeful, inspiring and informative. I'm in 100% Whenever I'm feeling down and I need a pick me up, I watch cosmos. I hope I feel that same about the new version.
#318211 by JuZ
Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:19 pm
stubear280 wrote:Although we may not get Carl's great turtle necks, we will get Neil's great space themed neck ties. :D

In all serious, though... I'm not pitting Sagan and Tyson against each other seeing how they have the same goal, to educate people. Both Sagan and Tyson want people to know how astounding it is that we're even alive and how astounding it is that we've come this far and that the universe holds a lot that we can learn from, take that knowledge and apply it in a way that we can improve and extend life. (run on sentence, no fucks given.) This is a show that people need now, it's hopeful, inspiring and informative. I'm in 100% Whenever I'm feeling down and I need a pick me up, I watch cosmos. I hope I feel that same about the new version.

I agree, there's no point in comparisons. :shock:
#318213 by fragility
Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:46 pm
stubear280 wrote:Although we may not get Carl's great turtle necks, we will get Neil's great space themed neck ties. :D

Completely agree. The two are entirely separate things in my mind and I am really glad they're doing it!!
#318217 by Faffy
Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:33 am
I'm loving this forum right now. :3

More Tysonawesome:
[youtube]qikjljlbTQw[/youtube]