Talk about whatever you want to here, but stay correct
#273993 by Wosko
Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:51 pm
seth macfarlanes humor... not for me i miss 1994 simpsons and such as for a good show on that there tv theres gonna be a new trailer park boys sketch comedy show on canadian showtime that im really looking forward to
#273995 by mrbean667
Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:56 pm
I'm quite partial to Spooks. Family Guy was good once, but then McFarlane decided to inject an overt message into each episode. That got tiresome very quickly.
#274025 by Bookwyrm83
Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:20 am
I will admit I don't like the fact they've made Brian into a bit of a douche in the last couple of seasons. This last season wasn't as good as some of the older ones, and even had two near-total misfires for me, being the Rush Limbaugh episode and the AA episode where Peter has Death teach him a lesson. Some funny gags, but the story in both was a let down. There were episodes that made up for it though. I don't care what anyone thinks, but that Road to the North Pole episode is Emmy-worthy on its own.
#274034 by simbelmyne
Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:40 am
I'm very very much into TV shows - Lost, Breaking Bad, Six Feet Under, True Blood, Weeds, Trailer Park Boys, Black Books

I'm looking forward to the new Breaking Bad season, as there was a major cliffhanger at the end of season 3. And I'm just watching season 3 of True Blood (season 4 started last week). What is more, the new season of Weeds also started last week.
So unlike as in Europe all the great TV shows start at the beginning of summer (and Dexter at the end of summer) while in Europe you basically can't switch on your TV screen in summer.
#274061 by stubear280
Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:10 am
simbelmyne wrote:I'm very very much into TV shows - Lost, Breaking Bad, Six Feet Under, True Blood, Weeds, Trailer Park Boys, Black Books

I'm looking forward to the new Breaking Bad season, as there was a major cliffhanger at the end of season 3. And I'm just watching season 3 of True Blood (season 4 started last week). What is more, the new season of Weeds also started last week.
So unlike as in Europe all the great TV shows start at the beginning of summer (and Dexter at the end of summer) while in Europe you basically can't switch on your TV screen in summer.

I was so upset when I first found out how long I was gonna have to wait until I found out what when down in Breaking Bad! We've only got a few more days now, though. I'm super excited!
#274105 by JuZ
Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:03 pm
Thanks to the OP for the topic... I've been meaning to start a tv thread for ages so I can stop clogging up the movie thread!

Current stuff... Game of Thrones makes the goofy kid centres of my brain jiggle with ecstasy. So cool.

Saw an interview with William H Macy recently and he said he'd pretty much given up on indie film. He said the movies do big fun, and that the great work in writing, acting and character development often happened on tv now.

If you think about The Sopranos, The Wire, The West Wing, Six Feet Under, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, etc etc... I can see why he would say something like that.

The Simpsons (early years) achieved epic status and changed tv for the better. And I love it dearly. That Groening maybe didn't know when to say enough is enough shouldn't diminish what they achieved with that show. Homer Simpson has made me laugh more than any other character.

I agree that Family Guy is cheap, lazy and often unimaginative. But it also cracks me up sometimes.

Really keen to see Louie.. Louis CK is a stand up comedy superstar.

I love watching old Star Trek too whenever it comes on, especially TNG which I watched religiously when it first aired.

First 48 is an excellent crime doco series... I actually find the real cases much more interesting than most cop shows.

Graham Norton is a wally but his show makes me laugh so I can't resist.

Idiot Abroad is my current companion (appropriately!) as I travel the US.

Party Down was a classic that many missed. Check it out... Very funny.

And QI is tv perfection.
#274109 by stubear280
Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:28 pm
JuZ wrote:Thanks to the OP for the topic... I've been meaning to start a tv thread for ages so I can stop clogging up the movie thread!

Current stuff... Game of Thrones makes the goofy kid centres of my brain jiggle with ecstasy. So cool.

Saw an interview with William H Macy recently and he said he'd pretty much given up on indie film. He said the movies do big fun, and that the great work in writing, acting and character development often happened on tv now.

If you think about The Sopranos, The Wire, The West Wing, Six Feet Under, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, etc etc... I can see why he would say something like that.

The Simpsons (early years) achieved epic status and changed tv for the better. And I love it dearly. That Groening maybe didn't know when to say enough is enough shouldn't diminish what they achieved with that show. Homer Simpson has made me laugh more than any other character.

I agree that Family Guy is cheap, lazy and often unimaginative. But it also cracks me up sometimes.

Really keen to see Louie.. Louis CK is a stand up comedy superstar.

I love watching old Star Trek too whenever it comes on, especially TNG which I watched religiously when it first aired.

First 48 is an excellent crime doco series... I actually find the real cases much more interesting than most cop shows.

Graham Norton is a wally but his show makes me laugh so I can't resist.

Idiot Abroad is my current companion (appropriately!) as I travel the US.

Party Down was a classic that many missed. Check it out... Very funny.

And QI is tv perfection.

No prob, Bob. My friends and I have been marathon watching tv shows for the past few months now, and I wanted to chat about them here on the board, with all of the lovely people here.

I haven't seen Game of Thrones, but after hearing your opinion of it, paired with your opinion of other shows, I'll check it out.

I can definitely see why William H Macy said that, too. (I'd LOVE to see him doing a show, I thought hew phenomenal in Fargo, and Magnolia.) The plot lines of most shows have become much deeper than some of the flicks Hollywood's been crankin' out. I mean you have shows like the one's you just mentioned, and you have Kevin James' new movie The Zookeeper...

The Simpsons were so funny. Groening was a comic genius in the beginning, really. (I also love that he has a love for obscure music, such as I do. He's actually arranged a yearly festival for abstract music. It's called All Tomorrow's Parties.) I love his work on Futurama, too.

I agree that Louis C.K. is a comedy superstar. The best around these days, to me.

I haven't seen any Star Trek, all versions seem like you need to see them from the start, which I never get the chance to do.

Can't say I've seen Garham Norton's show, but I'll check it out.

Idiot Abroad is an awesome show, I love Karl, and Ricky Gervais. I love the Ricky Gervais animated show, I have a massive love for podcasts, so seeing goofy little visuals to that podcast makes me happy. Seeing Karl go places is brilliant, I think!! Have fun traveling the US! Don't stop in Georgia, if you can avoid it. Not too much do here, not gonna lie.

I keep seeing Party Down on Netflix, but I haven't watched it yet. I'm hurrying to catch up Rescue Me before the last season starts. I HATED the first 3 seasons of that show, honestly. It was just a bunch of firemen being assholes. Season 4, and 5 have gotten a lot better, though. The characters are finally maturing a bit, it seems like.

I keep forgetting to mention these ones, since I'm thinking of FX, but I love It's Always Sunny in Philly. That show makes me laugh to no end! Sons of Anarchy is great, too. Seeing Peg Bundy in a serious role is amazing. She does a great job.
#274494 by Leechmaster
Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:26 pm
Just finished watching The Wire last week and, as I posted in the Un-Awesome thread, it has left a massive gap in my life that I shall never fill. Easily the best series I've ever seen...

Currently trying to fill the gap with Dexter, which we just started watching two nights ago. It's good... There's something lacking about it although I can't quite put my finger on what it is yet. There have been a few really annoying moments where he vocalises some link to past episodes that could've been left unsaid but that's probably just me nitpicking. I dunno, it's pretty good alright so far, I'm probably just still grouchy that there's no Bunk or Lester Freamon. :P

As for things I've liked in the past.. Early Simpsons is the absolute shiiiiiit. Me and my mates are constantly flinging classic Simpsons clips and one-liners around Facebook... The really old stuff will never get old but everything from around season 13 or 14 on is just fucking drivel.

What the Simpsons was, I think Futurama now is. The new series that just started up at the end of June has been really good so far, and there weren't many weak episodes in the return series from last summer either. Also Zapp Brannigan is my hero. :D

We're gonna start watching Breaking Bad once we get through all the series of Dexter... Plus I want to start watching Spartacus cos I've got pretty much every episode DVR'd. Hopefully by the time we've watched all that Boardwalk Empire will be back and then when that's done maybe Game of Thrones will be back soon and all will be well. :mrgreen:
#274497 by Sinkharmony
Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:06 pm
Leechmaster wrote:Just finished watching The Wire last week and, as I posted in the Un-Awesome thread, it has left a massive gap in my life that I shall never fill. Easily the best series I've ever seen...

Currently trying to fill the gap with Dexter, which we just started watching two nights ago. It's good... There's something lacking about it although I can't quite put my finger on what it is yet. There have been a few really annoying moments where he vocalises some link to past episodes that could've been left unsaid but that's probably just me nitpicking. I dunno, it's pretty good alright so far, I'm probably just still grouchy that there's no Bunk or Lester Freamon. :P

YES! I just watched the entire Wire series earlier this year and I agree wholeheartedly. Just absolutely incredible TV, it was so complex and interesting. Usually cops and robbers shows are totally boring to me but this is something different. I just got the season 1 of Treme on DVD which is done by the people who did the Wire and I'm hoping it's half as good.

Dexter is a good watch but coming right off the Wire it's not going to be the same kind of thing. It's a great show and I have a lot of fun watching and following it but very few shows approach The Wire in terms of depth. Breaking Bad however, now that'll be something that gets you right back to Wire levels of awesomeness. Breaking Bad may just be the best TV show in my opinion... the acting is incredible, the plot just pulls you in and the experience of what happens to the main characters is mind blowing. Good stuff, enjoy it!

And if you enjoy Bunk, watch Horrible Bosses. There's more than a subtle homage to the Wire in it.
#274516 by stubear280
Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:50 pm
Breaking Bad this Sunday for the U.S. SO EXCITED!

The Wire, I need to check out, since it's receiving so much praise here.

Boardwalk Empire, I also need to check out. I love Buscemi, I think he's great. I was so happy to see him land a role in St. John of Las Vegas, I think he did a great job in that. Seeing him in a TV drama is great, I'm sure.
#274530 by JuZ
Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:49 am
stubear280 wrote:Breaking Bad this Sunday for the U.S. SO EXCITED!

The Wire, I need to check out, since it's receiving so much praise here.

Boardwalk Empire, I also need to check out. I love Buscemi, I think he's great. I was so happy to see him land a role in St. John of Las Vegas, I think he did a great job in that. Seeing him in a TV drama is great, I'm sure.

Oh man, get ready for some seriously awesome TV. The Wire is just ridiculously good, I have no words. My folks borrowed the series from me and devoured all 5 seasons in a week. The problem with genius though is that it can kinda spoil everything else in the genre!

News: Found out what William H Macy is doing - he's starring in a US remake of the UK series Shameless.
#274542 by stubear280
Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:07 am
Man, I'm really excited about The Wire now!! I'm easily hooked on shows, so I'm sure I'll watch the entire series and love it! As far as it ruining that genre, I'm not too big on it, anyway, other than Monk, which is AWESOME in a quirky sorta way. Tony Shalhoub knocks that role outta the park. I'm not putting those two shows on the same level, though. Just thinking of shows that involve the law. I'm ready for the addiction, though!!

As far as William H. Macy in the Shamless remake goes, I just watched the first episode of the Brit version, I wonder how they're gonna pull that off. hmmm We'll see, I guess.

I also hear Deadwood is good. Anyone here have a verdict on it?
#274630 by JuZ
Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:01 am
Yep, Deadwood is worth watching too. Ian McShane is a big part of why - he's excellent as Al Swearengen.
#274653 by daneulephus
Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:32 am
+1 for Dexter, Weeds, and The First 48. I also love True Blood, but I have a good excuse.

Oh, and Breaking Bad...but that seems like a given.
#274742 by Bookwyrm83
Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:12 pm
Boston Legal was a fun show. I think I liked seasons 3 & 4 best, as they made the most interesting and convincing stories in those ones. My favorite moment remains where Denny Crane (Shatner) suddenly announces he has an erection, and that he is now ready for trial - everyone else in the room is both bemused and appalled.