Talk about whatever you want to here, but stay correct
#305175 by JuZ
Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:01 pm
Bookwyrm83 wrote:
JuZ wrote:
Bookwyrm83 wrote:Believe me, if I could find 8% or more beer readily accessible, I'd get it.
For a country that (reputedly) loves beer, the majority of beers at about 5 or less, thus higher content beers are welcome regardless of their percentage.

Still, I suppose I could get 7-8% at the Bavarian place I know.

Quite a few stronger brews are stocked by the evil empire now (1st Choice, Dan Murphy's). Imports mostly though so you'll be paying through the nose for them.

Yeah, that figures. Oh well.

Seeing as you're in Melbourne, here's a possible solution:

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com
#305179 by Lemurfist
Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:26 pm
I don't buy based on ABV. Just happens that I went on this imperial IPA/Stout kick last month. Honestly, some of my favorite beers are simple session lagers somewhere in the 4% range. Mind you, I won't actually session them as my reaction to the gluten would really suck. Get away with one or two pints per day but go past that and ow.
#308357 by sylkicks
Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:16 pm
In the beer realm, so excited that fall is approaching-- Oktoberfest, pumpkin, and harvest beers galore. Yeeeeesssssss. And beer festivals.

Bought a twelve pack of Sam Adams Oktoberfest the other day, and it's already gone. Surprisingly good beer from Sam Adams, and honestly one of my favorite beers, oddly enough..
#308370 by Octillus
Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:13 pm
sylkicks wrote:In the beer realm, so excited that fall is approaching-- Oktoberfest, pumpkin, and harvest beers galore. Yeeeeesssssss. And beer festivals.

Bought a twelve pack of Sam Adams Oktoberfest the other day, and it's already gone. Surprisingly good beer from Sam Adams, and honestly one of my favorite beers, oddly enough..

I know of a pub in Williamsburg that will tap 12 different kegs of pumpkin ale sometime next month.

It will be glorious
#308376 by Lemurfist
Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:50 pm
There's a place out my way that had 6 different pumpkin beers on tap in May.
#308441 by sylkicks
Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:36 am
In May? I don't think I'd be as into that... pumpkin beer for me screams Fall.
#308466 by Lemurfist
Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:48 pm
Yeah. They are a really odd place. Get the sort of selection only a hardcore craft beer would have but don't exactly make it a point to sell things fresh.
#309626 by sylkicks
Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:09 pm

Mol
#309628 by sylkicks
Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:18 pm
Photo of the pour:

#309629 by Bookwyrm83
Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:37 pm
Can't wait to be back in California - I intend to look for some of those beers mentioned above. Never had pumpkin beer before - the idea is enticing.
#309632 by Lemurfist
Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:17 pm
Been enjoying some Narragansett beers lately. Their standard adjunct lager is remarkably flavorful for fizzy yellow water and the oktoberfest is a real value for money.
#320625 by Bookwyrm83
Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:35 pm
Reviving this thread after finding this my local bottle shop:

Not only does it taste great (strong IPA, somewhat fruity) but it also led to a nice conversation about horror movies with the guy at the counter, who is from the same region as David Schofield (aka the dart player). Beware the moon!