3%
3%
13%
13%
35%
35%
#29239 by FinnAtLondon
Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:56 am
Well I think we should be glad that the 80s hairy speed competition is over, and understand that it went too far. But now it seems that the general audience rejects guitar solos. I think that is an overreaction. What do you reckon will happen in the future?
Last edited by FinnAtLondon on Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

#29240 by Ceessie
Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:09 am
I voted the don't-care thing....

But only because you mentioned THE DARKNESS..... :chain:
Horrible band, if that is how the 80's are going to return I think I'm gonna wish it had never existed in the first place. Still, nothing beats a good solo.... nothing!

#29241 by FinnAtLondon
Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:11 am
I am not sure are the choises in this poll that good really.

Well I ment with that "I dont care" option that you do not reject solo guitar.

And 80s could come back... beware of the hair

#29242 by FinnAtLondon
Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:24 am
I don't want to be a hypocrite. I voted that shred will be back. I sort of miss it now. I think the current "non solo"-consensus in metal IS an overreaction.

#29243 by Regal Jenkinson
Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:44 am
I agree with you there Finn, but I voted for the tasteful solo.

A solo should only appear when a song calls for it and the solo should replicate the song, or interprate it. I hate fast wanky solos which are there just for the sake of fast wankery.

#29244 by FinnAtLondon
Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:47 am
I can live with that. 8)

Wanna get drunk and listen to wankery metal?

#29266 by Apophis
Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:52 am
Grasshopper say a solo is only a bad solo when it is misused or abused.

IE:
solo's every 2.4 seconds sounds shit because you can't hear anything other than the ultra-cheesy solos and the inevitable keyboards keeping them company.

solo's for different bands can sound completely different, even if they're both note-identical, meaning the context within which they're used. I'd never completely rip solo's to shreds (pun intended) because for all the shit Mike Amott-flagellation and COB fret-board wanking, there's the likes of Trey Azagthoth, Vitek and the Hoffman brothers who are fucking legends at solos.

#29373 by 7lights
Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:54 am
The world is waiting for the nexy Motley Crue I think. Some baddass booze, drugs, chicks and rock and roll band. People are sick of hearing about singer whine about how sad they are and how they have problems, people want to hear about kicking ass and stuff :)

#29375 by Regal Jenkinson
Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:06 am
7lights wrote:The world is waiting for the nexy Motley Crue I think. Some baddass booze, drugs, chicks and rock and roll band. People are sick of hearing about singer whine about how sad they are and how they have problems, people want to hear about kicking ass and stuff :)

I agree.

#29377 by Drumdude13
Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:21 am
7lights wrote:The world is waiting for the nexy Motley Crue I think. Some baddass booze, drugs, chicks and rock and roll band. People are sick of hearing about singer whine about how sad they are and how they have problems, people want to hear about kicking ass and stuff :)

Hhhhhmmmmm............Evenlight ? :lol:

That Scott guy is the equivalent of Nikki Sixx in Motley Crue ! :lol:
Beavis is like Mick Mars !!!! Quiet, crazy mutha' fucka' ! :lol:

#29378 by Regal Jenkinson
Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:23 am
I love sleaze though.

#29379 by 7lights
Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:24 am
Well that leaves you to be Tommy Lee, I guess you get be the guy with the chicks and possibily Hep C..:)

#29385 by -THe-Billy-
Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:04 am
Shred will ahve its day again, but not like it has in the past. If anything its going to be more about the composition instead of every instrument following one note while the guitarist starts raping his fretboard.

We've heard shred and heard some pretty fast people, but thats all been done and overplayed so now there's the "now what?" If it comes back, it will be on a musical level where its the overall composition and musicianship at those speeds that will amazw the audience. Just an opinion.

#29386 by 7lights
Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:10 am
Of course I agree, the basic ideas always come and go, it'll just have a new twist on it.