Talk about whatever you want to here, but stay correct
#323887 by Jopie
Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:18 pm
Hi there ya'all,

My name is Johan and I am from the Netherlands. I first met Devin after a show with Vai (I was, and still am a huge fan of the man) in 1993, when they were the support act of (I believe) Aerosmith (I left before they started playing). Next to his initials Devin drew me a nice nipple on my shirt.
A couple years later I saw S.Y.L. at headbangers ball and was immediately intrigued. My first album was City, and from then on I was completely sold and that never went away. Picked up Terria later on and realized that I was listening to a major creative force that resonated with me in a way that you all out here will probably recognize. Since I felt myself part of a niche fanbase (dude, a what?) of a hidden musical phenomenon, the work of Devin had a special place in my (not so grand) cd collection.
In 2003 I went to a SYL/DTB concert which was absolutely brilliant, although I fractured three ribs in the process. After "Addicted" I lost track a bit, mostly due to difficult circumstances. In the void following a tragic event last year, I have regained my passion for music, guitar playing, and... in-deeeed, Devs work!!! :-).
I had a lot of music to catch up to, and found myself in a Devin Townsend shopping frenzy, making me the proud owner of almost his entire discography (including "By aThread" and "Contain Us" :-D). I truly love every album in my DT collection.
I also love to see that, despite the fact that I have 24 hours or so more life experience on this planet, his coming of age (pardon my french) and existential struggles still resonate with me. Yes, "Grace" can make me cry (absolutely no sarcasm).

In short: I am a fan of Devin Towsend just like you guys ;-).
Thanks for reading :-)
#323890 by swervedriver
Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:49 am
Hoi :)
#324834 by Phott
Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:48 am
GREETINGS!

Long time fan of Devin and all his musical works, and I especially enjoyed the Toontrack livestream he did, it was amazing to see the process which is not all too unfamiliar. I am a hobby musician studying Psychiatry, I've been playing guitar for about 8 years and have messed around with a variety of other instruments on the side. Figured I'd say hello as I just joined. Also check out this badass tattoo I got, favorite musician and favorite album!

#324838 by kettle
Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:51 am
Why the inside of your arm? almost like 'self-harm' - studying Psychiatry probably balances that somewhat.

I only just logged in for the first time in a very long time.

hello!
#324845 by Silvana
Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:41 pm
Hi everyone! Dropping by to say hello as I just joined. I'm from Argentina, been listening to Dev since the SYL days and my nick is my real name.
#324848 by Tyroshai
Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:22 pm
Hi Phott and Silvana, good to meet you! Welcome :)
#325010 by NapoleonComplexion
Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:15 pm
Hey, Folks. I'm Tom. I was watching NAMM videos about three weeks ago and happened upon one of Devin's. He was just singing and playing guitar without a backing track. There wasn't anything extraordinary about it - he wasn't doing any guitar pyrotechnics or wanking - but I could tell the cat was smart and I liked his sense of humor.

My interest was piqued enough to forego the NAMM propoganda and check out some of Devin's stuff. The first thing I saw was 'March of the Poozers' live at Royal Albert Hall. And a fan was born. The heavy guitar riffs with the syncopated choral hits grabbed my ear suddenly and without warning. The Z2 Digipak arrived last Saturday.

I don't know what to say about Dark Matters or Devin. Any superlatives I could muster sound trite or insufficient. But I'm floored. I think Dark Matters belongs in the Smithsonian and that Devin is a funny, bald, prolific, musical genius. I'm looking forward to checking out the rest of his music.

I hope I can contribute something worthwhile to the forums, or at least not be a nuisance. Cheers!

- Tom
#325029 by Tyroshai
Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:49 pm
Greetings! :D
#325040 by KeasbyNights
Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:01 pm
I'm not a newbie, but it's been fucking ages since I've logged on and had any presence in the forums. I missed it very much, and I missed all you Devhead psychos. (I'm sure Bookwyrm missed seeing the squid hat in the comments.) I've had a LOT on my plate in life, general anxiety disorder being the front running reason for my absense. But I'm adjusting and learning to balance all the nonsense in life enough to make room for social interactions of the typing and reading vein again. I won't be perfect, and I'll go periods of time missing still I'm sure, but I love this place and all you folks along with it. I'm glad to see people still here. Let's keep the Devy flames a-burnin'! :D

P.S. Welcome to all the newcomer's! I hope you find as much joy in this wacky place as I do. :)
#325045 by swervedriver
Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:56 am
Welcome, ye new and olde! :D