Talk about whatever you want to here, but stay correct
#325027 by swervedriver
Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:11 am
Not necessarily: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercooling

But in case of advertisers, they're probably just lying. :D
#325038 by KeasbyNights
Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:42 pm
NapoleonComplexion wrote:If water were "ice cold", as sometimes advertised by merchants, wouldn't it be frozen and undrinkable?

Mitch Hedberg talked about the same thing. :lol:

"'When they say a drink is ice cold, that's bullshit. If a drink were ice cold, it would be solid!'
'Hey Mitch, you want a beer?'
'Sure.'
'It's ice cold!'
'Goddamn it! I guess I can lick it!'"
#325042 by NapoleonComplexion
Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:34 pm
KeasbyNights wrote:
NapoleonComplexion wrote:If water were "ice cold", as sometimes advertised by merchants, wouldn't it be frozen and undrinkable?

Mitch Hedberg talked about the same thing. :lol:

"'When they say a drink is ice cold, that's bullshit. If a drink were ice cold, it would be solid!'
'Hey Mitch, you want a beer?'
'Sure.'
'It's ice cold!'
'Goddamn it! I guess I can lick it!'"

Nothing new under the sun, eh?
#325066 by fragility
Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:31 pm
Ah, that's referring to "taste" and "smell" as the nouns that describe the thing that those sensory organs pick up, therefore, the equivalent for hearing is "noisy"... although, I don't think anything can be "sighty", and "touchy" means something else.
#325067 by NapoleonComplexion
Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:32 pm
Fair play on the "noisy" point. Well taken. But that brings up a far more interesting and important point, beyond the arbitrary addition of the letter "Y" to adjectify a given word. "Noisy" and "smelly" both have negative connotations, whereas "tasty" is a favorable term. I call sensory bias.

Good call on "sighty", whose absence is further proof of a sensory conspiracy.

And I'm gonna leave "touchy" alone.
#325081 by Bookwyrm83
Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:19 am
I think perhaps I do have friends at work, as when my light-hearted pondering about throwing myself from a 22 story window became serious, so did their reactions.
At least we could agree it would be darkly amusing for a pedestrian to hear "I REGRET NOTHING" getting louder and when they look up, well...you know what happens next.

At least it was a colleague who helped me out of that mood. If it were a manager suggesting we go and have "a private talk", I probably would jump.
#325082 by Bookwyrm83
Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:23 am
On an unrelated note, why is it lately every time I go to the Yahoo homepage the main "news" article is about penises?
#325083 by swervedriver
Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:23 am
Bookwyrm83 wrote:On an unrelated note, why is it lately every time I go to the Yahoo homepage the main "news" article is about penises?

I'm not sure you want me to speculate on that. :wink:
#325086 by KeasbyNights
Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:02 pm
Bookwyrm83 wrote:I think perhaps I do have friends at work, as when my light-hearted pondering about throwing myself from a 22 story window became serious, so did their reactions.
At least we could agree it would be darkly amusing for a pedestrian to hear "I REGRET NOTHING" getting louder and when they look up, well...you know what happens next.

At least it was a colleague who helped me out of that mood. If it were a manager suggesting we go and have "a private talk", I probably would jump.

I can relate to that feeling. Thank god I work on the ground floor or I'd have done it months ago. Sorry work is so stressful for you though, in all seriousness.
#325101 by Bookwyrm83
Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:09 am
It's not just work, though that plays a pretty big part.
I actually had to leave early today because I thought I was going to have either a stroke or a stress attack.
Fortunately my GP gave me the thumbs up and recommended more exercise and meditation to help reduce the negativity.
I suppose doing windmills whilst listening to metal covers both.
#325115 by KeasbyNights
Tue May 03, 2016 10:09 pm
Just had a job interview at IKEA today. Hopefully it pans out. My stress levels are directly related to the emotionally abusive, now acting manager over me. Met with HR, told them I know he hasn't been sacked because he isn't costing them money or good employees, until now, cause I'm leaving because of him.