Talk about whatever you want to here, but stay correct
#324817 by Bookwyrm83
Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:22 am
I must be getting jaded with what (relatively) few games I have because I recently looked at my copy of The Last of Us and remembered I haven't completed Normal Story + mode. I also only have 5% of the achievements I think.
Yet when I consider playing it, I just shrug my shoulders and do something not video game related.
Then again, I feel the same about my copy of Splatterhouse, and I've only completed Act 1 of that game. Meh.
#324903 by EphelDuath666
Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:00 am
still not very blown away by Fallout 4 alas but it's getting better....at least the story quests are. Strangely enough the side quests are kinda 'meh'. But I'm digging the game anyways. I guess a game doesn't need to be super awesome to still be entertaining and good! And this is definitely a very good game despite everything. (although I do miss the hyper bizarre and funny quests that Fallout 3 had).
#325156 by Victimlas
Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:42 am
Playing Uncharted 4, and boy, was it worth the wait! One of my favorite franchises, only second to Mass Effect. Game is pure eye candy and the gameplay just awesome as always. I am trying to play it slowly- don't want it to end
#325161 by swervedriver
Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:40 am
I ran through Dark Souls 2 (not 3, 2.. don't have a current-gen console or decent pc) with considerably more ease than DS1. Gameplay is probably a little improved, and I like how more bosses have a second or third phase. However, the lore/story is rather unimpressive and the level design is not great. Case in point, the location of the lava castle: you reach it from an elevator in a tower, which is free-standing if you're looking at it from below, but suddenly you're up in a castle which is surrounded by lava lakes and mountains...

The seemlessly interconnected world of Dark Souls 1 was amazing, and combined with the lore and everything else it's easily one of my favorite games. Dark Souls 2 feels more like a rushed imitation than a proper sequel. And yet, it's still a good game and fun to play. :)
#325170 by EphelDuath666
Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:23 am
Uncharted 4 was/is amazing. It doesn't just look amazing, it's also a crazy fun game. Love all the gameplay additions (that rope is fuuuuuun) and love the much more open location which makes exploring a real treat!

Also...not too sure what to think of those upcoming upgraded consoles, that could backfire for Sony and MS. Oh and Mass Effect Andromeda looks sweet!
#325171 by Tyroshai
Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:53 pm
EphelDuath666 wrote:Mass Effect Andromeda looks sweet!

Also uhh...New Pokemon coming in November (shh, it keeps me out of trouble) :wink:
#325717 by EphelDuath666
Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:12 pm
soooooo, I'm surfing on a bit of a retro wave right now. Played through Resident Evil 1-3 (part 1 on PS1, parts 2 and 3 on Gamecube), Silent Hill 1 on PS1 and Metal Gear Solid 1 on PS1. No, I won't say something like "they don't make games like these anymore"...that would be such a cliché :P

However, I greatly enjoyed myself revisiting these classics. Played these games and Final Fantasy 7 like a maniac when I was a teenager. And they are actually still really good. It's quite amazing how one still remembers how to solve all the puzzles in these games, after so many years.

So here's my question for y'all. What's your favorite blast from the past? Which games from the 80's and 90's (and maybe the early 00's) did you or do you still enjoy the hell out of?

When we're talking mid to late 90's my favorites are the ones I mentioned above. Plus the Discworld games, the Broken Sword games, Tomb Raider was awesome, Legacy of Kain and Soul Reaver both were great too.

When we're talking early 90's then all the Mario related games come to my mind of course...Super Mario World, Super Mario Kart. I loved the Mortal Kombat games...heck, my parents were cool enough to buy them for me, heh. Oh well, I turned out to be a peace loving vegetarian anyways. Contra 3 (aka Super Probotector for us European folks) was also GREAT fun...so much fun to blast through that one with friends. I actually kinda liked the fact that they replaced the soldiers with robots for the European market...'cause it's robots! :) Then of course All the great Japanese RPG's such as Chrono Trigger (thank god for those NTSC converters) and adventures like The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past. Such great stuff.

So what about you?
#325719 by Thominator
Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:31 am
Currently addicted to Pokémon Sun.

In terms of retro games I don't play that much (I was only born in 95). The early Pokémon games are still awesome of course. Some early 00s games that I still greatly enjoy are Fable and Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2
#325720 by Bookwyrm83
Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:36 am
I've been playing video games since I was 3 and had an Atari (cannot quite remember which model, 2600 I think - we had both the joystick controller and the dial controller I recall). We later also had classic NES and SNES, although at one of the schools I went to we had N64, Sega Genesis and I think PS1. I always preferred the SNES out of all of them. Especially because I never had a Gameboy of my own (had to borrow cousins' or friends' games) and it was fun to play on the Gameboy converter cartridge.

As far as games from my (misspent) youth go, I have to wade through memories as my old consoles and games have been lost to time and cousins who took them after we moved overseas. May as well compartmentalise my favorites here.
Atari:
Desert Falcon
Pac-Man & Ms. Pac-Man
Fast Food
Space Invaders
Yars' Revenge

NES:
The first 3 Super Marios
Duck Hunt
Contra
Metroid
Kid Icarus

SNES:
SUPER METROID (all caps because it's awesome)
Super Mario All Stars
Mario Kart
Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island
F-Zero
Super Street Fighter II
Mortal Kombat (the original three)
Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2 (didn't really play the others as much)

Super Mario Land and Metroid II were always the most fun on the Gameboy converter. No surprise that I loved Mario and Metroid the most.
#325721 by EphelDuath666
Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:53 pm
Thominator wrote:Currently addicted to Pokémon Sun.

In terms of retro games I don't play that much (I was only born in 95). The early Pokémon games are still awesome of course. Some early 00s games that I still greatly enjoy are Fable and Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2

very good picks too. :-)

Bookwyrm83 wrote:SUPER METROID (all caps because it's awesome)

YES, forgot about that one. I played through that game again a few years back and had a blast.

I forgot NES classics of course....especially MEGA MAN! So difficult and frustrating but also very rewarding. The first 2 Contra/Probotector games were great too of course. DuckTales on the NES was awesome too.
#325725 by Tyroshai
Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:57 am
EphelDuath666 wrote:NERDGASM

[youtube]Lj1iGtRakHE[/youtube]

:happy:

Fucking fantastic!!!!!!! :shock: :shock:
#325771 by EphelDuath666
Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:06 pm
well, I have been playing video games a lot lately after I didn't do much gaming this past summer.

Played through The Last Guardian which was a wonderful, unique and just jaw dropping experience. I really love Team Ico, they really know how to create unique games that are true works of art. Yes, it's not perfect by any means. The camera can be a pain in the rear, the controls aren't the most precise ones out there. Yet this game somehow manages to make you forgive all these shortcomings by creating an experience that you won't forget. And Trico is just way awesome :) And it's really rare to play a game that can move you, heck, possibly even make you cry...a game that gives you the feeling that you've just played something special after you finished it. This one's one of those games.

I also played Watch Dogs 2. I liked the first one, although I do understand that some people were underwhelmed by it. The second Watch Dogs game however gets a lot of the things right that Watch Dogs 1 struggled with. The addition of the drones for example was one damn fine idea because it opens up a lot of possibilities to tackle missions. Sure, you can absolutely go in guns blazing and just shoot your way through a mission but this game really wants you do take advantage of all the stealth mechanics and they are tons of fun.

For example, you can sneak through a building yourself and just get the mission done that way. OR you use your drones to help you by making them hack and manipulate your environment. Heck, you can even just use your remote controlled RC car to get through a mission. Watch Dogs 2 in that sense kind of approaches gameplay like Metal Gear Solid 5 did, for example, where you could approach missions in several different ways. I understand that Watch Dogs 2 didn't sell all that well but I sure hope that more people give it a chance eventually. I had a blast playing it.

I also played and beat Final Fantasy 15. I will admit I was not a big fan of Final Fantasy 13. FF13's characters were too silly and everyone was just constantly whining. When it comes to gameplay it was also way too linear I think. For the majority of the game you were just running through a set path fighting monsters over and over. Yes, eventually you ended up in a more open, sandbox-type environment but that was really just a big, green field with some monsters on it. Not very exciting....

.....now Final Fantasy 15 however takes a completely different approach. Right from the get-go you find yourself in a huge, beautiful open world that is filled with little outposts and towns, wonderful scenery and lots of beautifully designed creatures...which you eventually of course end up killing, heh. :P Yes, the usual Japanese trademarks are all there: emo haircuts...check. Girls in tiny hotpants with gigantic boobs in tiny bras...check. Well, you get the idea. However they didn't go overboard.

OK, I will admit there were times when I wanted to strangle Prompto in his sleep (he's one of your team members). Well, pretty much constantly actually. But after a while you get used to him. But this game is just hugely fun. Yes, there's no turn based fighting system anymore but in all honesty, I can absolutely live with that. Due to the sheer amount of enemies you have to fight in this game, or Final Fantasy games in general, a turn based fighting system can really make things feel tedious. FF15 takes the Mass Effect/Dragon Age approach which means you can switch to 'wait mode' if you want to and then you can pause the game and plan your actions. Or you choose the action mode which plays a lot like other western RPGs and is therefore a lot more fast paced.

Combat is a lot of fun, really. Fighting some of the biggest monsters you'll ever get to see in a game (one is as big as a mountain, not kidding) is just fun and enormously satisfying. I will admit that side quests aren't really this game's strength. NPCs basically just give you fetch quests or bounty hunts. But somehow it's still fun to do them.

I really did enjoy the story too and I really don't have to mention FF15's cut scenes. Final Fantasy games always had some of the best cut scenes you'd ever get to see and the series' 15th installment is no exception. Jaw dropping stuff, really. Anyways, I highly recommend that one too.

Not sure what I'll play next but I hope it'll be something good! :D
#325780 by swervedriver
Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:52 am
I've paused my time with Fallout 4 for a bit to play through Just Cause 3. Graphically it's gorgeous, and the wingsuit provides a very entertaining way of getting around the huge map. Still, it's one big liberate-the-map sandbox without much else going for it, it feels rather empty. Well, you could expect that given the huge map, but there's not much else to do besides the main story missions but a few scattered challenges and collectibles. It feels like it's missing features, so replayability is pretty low. But, it's good mindless fun for a couple of hours to wreak explosive havoc and tether soldiers to passing jet planes. :D

Gonna see about continuing with Fallout 4, but Dark Souls 3 is tempting me more and more. And I kinda want to try speedrunning Dark Souls 1, just to see if I can finish it in an evening's worth. :)