Talk about whatever you want to here, but stay correct
#324282 by Bookwyrm83
Sun May 03, 2015 7:07 am
EphelDuath666 wrote: Remember the days when you bought a game and you got what you paid for? No on-disc DLC, no app requirements, no BS, just games.

This is one of the reasons I tend to wait for super-duper ultimate game of the year complete etc. editions that are inevitably released, as they feature the content immediately and you don't need an app for them (the ones I've bought, anyway).

With that said, I seriously do not understand the need for DLC especially when it's already on the disc. In the good old days, you unlock these things by getting good at the game and/or beating it, and thus were rewarded for your efforts. DLC and apps seem almost like blackmail for those who want the fullest experience their money can buy.
And yes, I am aware games still feature unlockable items but a lot of the time the emphasis seems to be downloading or purchasing.
In comparison I prefer expansion packs; you get a hard copy of all the new shit and generally value for money. I suppose downloading it as it comes might be easier but it's also a pain in the ass. Whatever, I'm not that hardcore a gamer, what do I know.
#324310 by EphelDuath666
Sat May 16, 2015 2:36 pm
played plenty more Mortal Kombat over the past few weeks. And I do love it. Guess you can at least play the living towers and challenge towers while you're online without a ps+ membership so that is something. And they re fun actually. And there's a special tower that allows you to play as the DLC characters for a week, each time one gets released. So that is kinda neat...try before you by. Even if they are still VERY much overpriced. But playing as Jason Vorhees was kinda neat. Still won't shell out the dough for the DLCs and will just wait untill there's a game of the year edition available for 15 or 20 Euros, which should include all the DLC anyways.

Of course at some point you don't want to spend hours with a beat 'em up anymore. So, after watching Studio Ghibli's 'The Tale of Princess Kaguya', I finally started to play Ni no Kuni, a game for PS3 that Studio Ghibli was involved with. It's real eye candy but also a very good game with a sweet story. Really enjoying it a lot so far.
#324311 by Bookwyrm83
Sat May 16, 2015 5:55 pm
Recently bought The Last of Us game of the year edition on PS3. Disappointed that Left Behind and a bunch of other content is solely DLC based, but at least the vouchers are there so I won't have to pay extra (slight sarcasm). Knew I should have waited for PS4 where the good stuff is (apparently) in disc.
Based on its own merits though, it is a beautiful looking game and I really enjoyed the story and inventiveness. More human enemies than infected but it does provide a good change of pace from most other zombie games. DLC gripes aside I'm glad I got it.
#324344 by EphelDuath666
Fri May 22, 2015 4:52 pm
TLOU is one of the great ones, George. Glad you're enjoying it!

Picked up The Witcher 3 today, I'm looking forward to play it. but probably not before I finish Ni no Kuni. I almost kinda want to pop in the disc just to take a gander at The Witcher 3's visuals.
#324362 by Hiddos
Sun May 24, 2015 1:55 am
Oh yes, TLOU is absolutely great. I love it how not only the story is gripping and the graphics are beautiful, the rest of the game is technically great as well. I have not seen a single bug or glitch anywhere, and every time I died it was thanks to me, not because of the game.

Left Behind is good as well. Not as good as the main story, but it provides some extra explanation, and... (not a story spoiler but a gameplay spoiler)
Spoiler: show
I thought playing from Ellie's perspective was great as well.
#324372 by EphelDuath666
Sun May 24, 2015 10:04 am
I really hope they'll make a sequel, with the same characters too. Joel and Ellie are such great characters, just goes to show how far games have advanced over the years.
#324374 by JuZ
Mon May 25, 2015 2:26 am
Check out the making of doco if you haven't already. It's an interesting insight into the process and made me appreciate the game even more. So much thought goes into directing the player through subtle and, I think, quite beautiful use of the environment.

Some good stuff on the acting and character development too.
#324401 by EphelDuath666
Fri May 29, 2015 2:37 pm
JuZ wrote:Check out the making of doco if you haven't already. It's an interesting insight into the process and made me appreciate the game even more. So much thought goes into directing the player through subtle and, I think, quite beautiful use of the environment.

Some good stuff on the acting and character development too.

oh my, almost 90 minutes long, sweet. I'll have to check it out!

Also The Witcher 3 :shock: VERY awesome stuff. I hope I won't run into too many bugs but so far it's been very impressive. Played through The Witcher 2 prior to this and enjoyed it. It seemed kinda short but I don't know whether that's because it actually was kinda short or because I enjoyed it so much. And I did enjoy it a lot.
#324408 by JuZ
Sat May 30, 2015 3:24 pm
I loooooved the first Witcher, but I will have to go back and play 3 (and 2 I guess) when I have the time. Enjoy it for me!
#324412 by Cosmic Sea
Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:34 pm
Bethesda's Fallout page has a countdown timer, currently with 13 and a half hours to go. Supposedly an announcement is coming up. Whatever it is, please let it be Obsidian who's doing the actual developing. Please, let it be Obsidian.
#324422 by Victimlas
Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:12 am
Just finished The Order: 1886. It was a cinematic experience like Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls. Really enjoyed it but oh so short... Not sure why they couldn't make it a tad longer. Story wise they could have taken more time to develop it. All in all great game if you are not paying full price.
#324423 by EphelDuath666
Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:25 pm
Victimlas wrote:Just finished The Order: 1886. It was a cinematic experience like Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls. Really enjoyed it but oh so short... Not sure why they couldn't make it a tad longer. Story wise they could have taken more time to develop it. All in all great game if you are not paying full price.

agreed, I got it cheap and did not regret it. Technically it's quite incredible. Everything looks amazing with great textures, although that nasty motion blur effect makes it really hard to take some proper screenshots, heh. Oh and what's your thoughts on Far Cry 4, now that you're probably done with it?

Still playing the Witcher 3. It's HUGE. So much to do! And I'll have to say, the characters in this game are among the best I have seen in any video game. The bloody baron in particular is an amazing, deep character with deep flaws but lots of heart. His quest line really blew me away. Great writing, voice acting and performances in general.

Every little side quest tells a little story. Sometimes side quests even turn into really lengthy, continueous missions that take you to several locations. I have to say I played quite a few next-gen games now. This one REALLY impressed me. It's right up there with GTA5 and the remastered edition of The Last of Us. Imagine Bioware and Bethesda made a game together...it would look like The Witcher 3.
#324435 by JuZ
Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:56 pm
I finally got around to finishing the storyline of GTAV - and realised that I was basically at the end of the game when I fired it up to finish it!

I don't feel as compelled to wander the environment as I did in RDR. Maybe because I spent so much time doing that instead of playing the game!

Wife and kids are away until tomorrow and I'm under strict orders to play games all day. Not sure if I should just give Deus Ex a try or pop down to the shops and pick up something else cheap like The Saboteur. I'd love to get the last Dragon Age game but I'm a super tightwad budget!
#324437 by Bookwyrm83
Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:15 pm
With all the recent Bat-mania going on I recently popped in Arkham City to finish all the challenge maps I previously left half-complete. These were largely extreme combat modes that I didn't get 3 trophies for and a couple of Riddler campaigns (I found myself much more comfortable passing the predator challenges). As Batman, I've now completed all single levels and only have a couple of campaigns to go, though I have to watch my temper and choose the right modifiers to finish these correctly.
If I can do that, I can turn my attention to the other characters and finish off their campaigns/challenges, which are woefully behind in numbers (except maybe Nightwing).
#324438 by Octillus
Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:56 pm
Splatoon. I am the prettiest hipster squid girl.