Talk about whatever you want to here, but stay correct
#324978 by Bookwyrm83
Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:30 pm
Deadpool
I enjoyed it and found it better than the Wolverine spin-offs. The plot is formulaic but seems deliberately so, which allows for greater appreciation for the humor and fourth wall breaking. I also like that it limits the number of other X-Men characters that appear, focusing on the central character and giving us the Deadpool we deserve. The fact that it's aimed squarely at adults and not teenage hordes makes it all the more credible and lets the nature of the comics shine through.
Stay through the end credits.
#324980 by EphelDuath666
Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:02 am
Deadpool was so awesome! I laughed my ass off throughout the entire movie. That...tiny...hand. That's one thing you can't unsee! Heh
It may be too fucked up and immature for some people so it's definitely not for everyone. It was, however, right up my alley.
#324981 by vt1100
Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:58 am
Deadpool.

Yes, holy shit! Only thing I didn't much care was Colossus, annoying cgi character with annoying accent (yes he's russian but still...). Morena Baccarin however...uuh. 4.5/5
#325052 by Bookwyrm83
Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:05 am
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

[youtube]cjpeo3VAvdw[/youtube]

To be fair, I actually liked Affleck and Cavill as the duelling leads as it's evident they put all of their effort into this, both physically and mentally. The only real casting problem I had was Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor and the movie confirms him to not be good choice, or at least not a good direction for the character.
The story had an interesting concept with a few neat twists, and though I never felt completely bored I thought they tried to cram in too much and simultaneously rushed some things as well; a few sequences (particularly one dream sequence) felt out of place or slowed down the movie. I didn't mind the nihilistic tone but it was a bit irksome when the choices of the characters became illogical, even for the message the film was delivering. The fight scenes were mostly great, however towards the climax became a near incomprehensible whirlwind of visuals.
Not completely terrible but definitely disappointing.
#325056 by Victimlas
Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:53 am
Nathan_lol wrote:Requiem For A Dream

holy shit ive been meaning to watch it for years and it was really good. any film that ends with ass to ass is good

One of my favorite movies ever... just not very happy go lucky lol :shock:

Last movie we saw was "Room"- wow! Incredible performances and a movie that really gets into the characters' emotions. It's hard to even put it into words just a fantastic movie.

On a lighter note, saw "Zootopia" with my kids and it was an awesome movie! Disney can have the same tired storylines but I thought this one was fresh and tackled some "controversial" subjects tactfully. Like Inside Out, it's a movie grown up can really enjoy :D
#325060 by KeasbyNights
Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:29 pm
Bookwyrm83 wrote:Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
Not completely terrible but definitely disappointing.

Same. :/
#325070 by EphelDuath666
Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:57 am
yes, Batman v Superman kinda bummed me out. Affleck is a pretty great Batman actually but I had no worries in that regard anyways. What really bothered me was the script, the not so great CGI and Jesse Eisenberg, who really didn't do a good job playing Lex Luthor. He was actually really annoying.

Also no huge fan of how they portrayed Batman. I don't think I've ever seen Batman just mowing people down like crazy. I know this is supposed to be inspired by The Dark Knight Returns but in those comic books he uses rubber bullets and genereally doesn't just kill folks. Oh well. I could live with that kind of artistic freedom if the writer(s) had done a better job otherwise. Kinda worried about Justice League now!
#325073 by Bookwyrm83
Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:10 pm
EphelDuath666 wrote:Also no huge fan of how they portrayed Batman. I don't think I've ever seen Batman just mowing people down like crazy.

I love how people I've talked to about this are bothered by the fact that Affleck's Batman is a killer in the movie and yet somehow forget his approach isn't much different to Keaton's Batman. The only real difference I can think is that Affleck's character lost his moral compass during those 20 hard years and eventually gave into his darkness. Keaton on the other hand was still a fairly early incarnation but also a borderline serial killer (true that he mostly pummelled his enemies in both films but quite a few were blown to hell).
Howbeit, maybe Batfleck will regain his morality in Justice League and stop killing after the events of BvS. I'm more concerned with the handling of the story overall as there way too much for BvS to handle in one movie.
#325087 by KeasbyNights
Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:15 pm
It felt like the movie should have been called..

Spoiler: show
"Batman & Superman: Moms and Memories"

...cause the whole movie was backstory and introducing the idea that they both had a mom named Martha. The actual "versus" fighting lasted all of 20 minutes (though I understand it was mostly the tension and disagreement throughout the whole thing). I just felt like, due to the amount of ground they had to cover in this movie, we could have done without as much focus on the Batman origin story, and really as much history building as they did.. I mean, for god's sake there's like 10 Batman movies, if you don't know his parents were gunned down and he fell in a well and got spooked by bats then too bad, you deserve to be lost during the movie.
#325096 by EphelDuath666
Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:21 am
Bookwyrm83 wrote:
EphelDuath666 wrote:Also no huge fan of how they portrayed Batman. I don't think I've ever seen Batman just mowing people down like crazy.

I love how people I've talked to about this are bothered by the fact that Affleck's Batman is a killer in the movie and yet somehow forget his approach isn't much different to Keaton's Batman. The only real difference I can think is that Affleck's character lost his moral compass during those 20 hard years and eventually gave into his darkness. Keaton on the other hand was still a fairly early incarnation but also a borderline serial killer (true that he mostly pummelled his enemies in both films but quite a few were blown to hell).
Howbeit, maybe Batfleck will regain his morality in Justice League and stop killing after the events of BvS. I'm more concerned with the handling of the story overall as there way too much for BvS to handle in one movie.

Well, but Snyder's main argument for Batman's killing spree is that he wanted to stay true to The Dark Knight Returns which inspired BvS while the fact of the matter is that Batman ain't a maniac in that comic book series. I read the books several times and watched the animated movie several times and he doesn't kill in those. His tank/batmobile uses rubber bullets and technically he also doesn't 'kill' the Joker. Sure he breaks his neck but the Joker finishes himself off.
Now I'm all for artistic freedom but when Snyder says that Batman kills in BvS because he killed in TDKR then he didn't do his homework. A little bit of context would have helped the movie in that regard too instead of squeezing in so many dream sequences and letting half the movie play in slow-mo.

As for Burton's Batman movies, I love them. I really do. But when it comes to Batman lore I take them as seriously as Lego Batman, heh. :wink:

Now having said that I could still live with all that. Batman obviously killing ain't my preference but for the sake of character development I can live with that. Heck, if that had been done well I might have even embraced the idea. A story about redemption can be told well. But not in this movie. But there were just too many things that were either annoying or just unnecessary. Lex Luthor just really got on my tits. And yes, there was far too much sqeezed into the movie to make it a 150 minute 'epic'. Sometimes less is more.

Spoiler: show
The whole Doomsday/Death of Superman story was unnecessary and should have been saved for another movie. And Batman's 180º turn when he's about to murder Superman didn't work either. Not so much the fact that he changed his mind or how he changed it. But him and Batman being best friends, joking around right after a 20 minute long fight to the death. Not so sure about that.

Oh well, the movie still has its moments and it's not the turd that critics say it is but it's still disappointing.
#325113 by Bookwyrm83
Tue May 03, 2016 9:50 am
Captain America: Civil War

Now this is how you do a showdown. This movie not only has the advantage of several years of build up, but asks all the right questions surrounding superheroes and vigilantism. Both sides have intelligent arguments and reasons for choosing either control or freedom. The fact that matters get personal in a way that is both comprehensible and make you feel empathy on all sides (including that of the central villain) make for a more engaging and satisfying experience.

There's a lot of material going on this film but it doesn't feel overstuffed (I definitely want to see more of Black Panther). It also maintains a consistent balance with light and dark that the MCU has become known for, though I would say it's probably the most pessimistic entry so far, all things considered. Whilst a lot of the in-fighting is confined to one or two major sequences, these scenes have consequences that are going to extend in all upcoming movies.

I suppose the inclusion of Spider-Man is a bit gratuitous, as we now have to go through his back-story all over again with his next film. Ant-Man was well suited for the time he was given and didn't give too much of his character away in case one hadn't seen his origin movie. It's also interesting to note that despite this being the third Captain America, a lot of the film focuses on Tony Stark, with Steve Rogers almost playing second fiddle. Almost.

Absolutely worth checking out.
#325121 by EphelDuath666
Mon May 09, 2016 7:04 am
Bookwyrm83 wrote:Captain America: Civil War

Now this is how you do a showdown. This movie not only has the advantage of several years of build up, but asks all the right questions surrounding superheroes and vigilantism. Both sides have intelligent arguments and reasons for choosing either control or freedom. The fact that matters get personal in a way that is both comprehensible and make you feel empathy on all sides (including that of the central villain) make for a more engaging and satisfying experience.

There's a lot of material going on this film but it doesn't feel overstuffed (I definitely want to see more of Black Panther). It also maintains a consistent balance with light and dark that the MCU has become known for, though I would say it's probably the most pessimistic entry so far, all things considered. Whilst a lot of the in-fighting is confined to one or two major sequences, these scenes have consequences that are going to extend in all upcoming movies.

I suppose the inclusion of Spider-Man is a bit gratuitous, as we now have to go through his back-story all over again with his next film. Ant-Man was well suited for the time he was given and didn't give too much of his character away in case one hadn't seen his origin movie. It's also interesting to note that despite this being the third Captain America, a lot of the film focuses on Tony Stark, with Steve Rogers almost playing second fiddle. Almost.

Absolutely worth checking out.

couldn't agree more. It was tons of fun. And I think they may skip the Spider-Man backstory this time, or I at least hope so. If it's set after Civil War then they really don't have to explain it all again since Parker already is Spider-Man in that one.
#325125 by swervedriver
Sun May 15, 2016 2:08 am
I'm well behind, but..

Deadpool. Truly made me laugh. Does a good job of not taking itself too seriously, although there were a few moments where I felt it was pointing that out a little too much. But then there's usually a masturbation joke to immediately follow that, so all is forgiven. :D

The Martian. Requires some suspension of disbelief on Matt Damon surviving some of the things thrown at him, but it's a good story. I like the focus on scientifically-solid inventiveness. :) Some more mental breakdowns would've been nice though, it felt a little too.. 'Disney' at the very end, when everything is just lovely forever for everyone, despite probably some traumas from being abandoned and alone on a planet for over a goddamn year. I don't think that last scene was necessary.