Talk about whatever you want to here, but stay correct
#324085 by Hiddos
Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:00 pm
Just saw Interstellar as well.
I'm not sure what to think. I don't really buy the story of it, but it looked absolutely fantastic. I'll watch it again in plenty of time and see what I think then.
#324086 by vt1100
Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:26 pm
Hiddos wrote:Just saw Interstellar as well.
I'm not sure what to think. I don't really buy the story of it, but it looked absolutely fantastic. I'll watch it again in plenty of time and see what I think then.

Visuals in this movie are excellent, I have to agree on that. So, next up is Dracula Untold and this was actually quite nice although vampires as genre are starting to be bit...old. Still, I undestand that Universal is planning to reboot monster genre and this is the first character to get that treatment.
Deliver us from evil This is a movie about demonic possession, so nothing new here either. Too long and characters are thin as they come.
#324087 by swervedriver
Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:28 am
Joining the Interstellar party here. Looks great, interesting premisse, but it absolutely shits all over itself in the last half hour.

Spoiler: show
I'll go along with gravity manipulation through spacetime, but no way this dude escapes a black hole (where apparently time shift is not an issue anymore) and gets picked up by exploration drones just in time before his oxygen runs out. I guess they really needed to crowbar a happy ending in there.

Also saw the latest Hunger Games installment, which was enjoyable but felt anticlimactic. Which I suppose you can expect from a movie chopped in half.
#324088 by Bookwyrm83
Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:14 am
My views on Interstellar haven't changed, but I must admit the most gratifying part of the theatrical experience was the epic piss I took once the credits rolled (in the men's room, of course).

On a similar note, saw 2001 in the cinema for the first time yesterday. As far as detail and audio are concerned, the theatrical experience beats the hell out of home video. I hadn't watched it in several years so I was reminded by things I forgotten about. Then again there is a reason it's one of those films I can only revisit once in awhile.
And for those who knew and loved the Astor (Justin) the screening was on the last day. Apparently it will open again under new ownership in June, largely how we know it to be, but it remains to be seen just how things are going to be run and if it will be aesthetically the same.
#324091 by KeasbyNights
Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:04 pm
Saw Jupiter Ascending with my girlfriend on the recommendation to see it purely out of it being aTERRIBLE movie. And the verdict? It was. It was horrid. It's as though they tried to cram too many plot lines, too many characters, too many types of aliens, and too many ideas into one movie. It dragged on and on, it had "major" plot threads that would enter the movie then die out as soon as they didn't come to fruition, and then it would be as though they never existed in the first place.. Within the first 15 minutes I felt like I was watching a movie on SyFy channel at 3AM, the kind of low budget writing one could only expect from a movie that was only able to get the slot when precious few are awake to begrudge themselves through it. That all being said, it was visually a beautiful, very well done work. But the contents were horrible. Mila Kunis was still hot though at least, lol.

And also, I saw Fast and Furious 7 yesterday. It delivered all that you could expect from a Fast/Furious movie. It had cars, bumpin tunes, half naked ladies, and lots of fight scenes. I loved it all, because my inner meathead comes out and enjoys those types of movies every time. Plus the ending was poignant, I don't know if this would be considered a spoiler or not since it is probably just assumed, but still

Spoiler: show
I really loved the memorial they did for Paul Walker at the end. I worried it would have been a bit tacky, but they gave his life and his role in those movies and sweet replay. I am a sensitive type so you know I was bawling my eyes out at the close of the movie. It really was lovely, and the story had a good end.. Although it did leave another cliff hanger with Jason Stamos' character…so I really do wonder if they plan to continue on with an 8th movie..
#324094 by Faffy
Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:41 am
I saw 'The Imitation Game' last night.
I get the feeling that, apart from a few major events and characters, I was watching a WHOLE load of fiction there. Aside from all the likely inaccuracies, it was a good film though. But don't watch it to educate yourself about Alan Turing. Go read a book or find a decent documentary or something.
#324210 by Tyroshai
Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:45 am
EphelDuath666 wrote:
Tyroshai wrote:Just watched Málmhaus (Metalhead). An Icelandic movie based around the theme of loss, death, becoming and acceptance. Well-shot and a great story. 7/10.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2374902/

bought it several months ago and really liked it too!

Still can't get the Baldur/Óskar tractor scene out of my mind...
#324227 by EphelDuath666
Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:16 pm
Tyroshai wrote:Still can't get the Baldur/Óskar tractor scene out of my mind...

yeah, was the same for me!

Got a fancy digibook version of the movie which includes an interview with the director. Pretty interesting stuff!
#324260 by Bookwyrm83
Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:20 am
Avengers: Age of Ultron.
Not quite as fun as the first Avengers movie, although the opening sequence and the final act are fantastic. It's what is in between that goes up and down, where the pacing seemed to alternate between being rushed, slow or just right. It had plenty of humor and tension but didn't seem as concerned with build up (until about the half-way mark, anyway).
The style and visuals can't really be faulted, and everyone puts on a great performance. James Spader's Ultron alone is worth the price of admission, though the fight between Hulk and Iron Man was a definite crowd pleaser. Overall 8/10.
#324270 by vt1100
Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:19 am
Also Avengers: Age of Ultron and boy did I like it, hells yes! Brought back to mind those bw comics I used to read as a boy, and apparently that boy is still alive. Watched this in 3D, could easily been 2D also as I barely noticed whole effect (which is kind of good thing).
#324309 by vt1100
Sat May 16, 2015 2:33 pm
Mad Max: Fury Road

Well damn, this is how you make movies! Road Warrior x10 and added madness. I'm going to see this one again in theatre so I reserve right to give final judgment after that, right now I'm speechless...