Talk about whatever you want to here, but stay correct
#322393 by Bookwyrm83
Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:41 pm
It is, but I recently bought myself a multi region Blu-Ray player. A cheap one, but it works fine and does the job with both Blu-Rays and DVDs of other regions.
#322427 by JuZ
Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:11 pm
Godzilla.

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh it was alright. I'm guessing it looked better on the big screen.
#322428 by KeasbyNights
Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:32 pm
Watched the Cornetto Trilogy. I'd seen Shaun of the Dead before, but never got around to Hot Fuzz or The World's End until now. I love all the parallels between the movies, and the healthy mix of both bombastic, crude humor, and subtle, smart humor. I like the idea of each movie having to do with a specific flavor of Cornetto ice cream. Really interesting idea and very well executed. And funny as all hell to boot. Pegg and Frost work so well together I'd think they actually have been childhood friends.

TL;DR - These movies are three of my new favorites.
#322502 by EphelDuath666
Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:06 pm
and the Halloween marathon goes on....passed the halfway mark!

October 13th:

Dolls. Dolls was pretty fun. It was directed by one of my favorite Horror movie directors called 'Stuart Gordon' and while it may not be as good as From Beyond or Re-Animator, I still had fun watching it. It's pretty cheesy and the acting is really far from good but the movie still worked for me. It's somewhere between Child's Play and Puppet Master guess. Pretty typical 80's horror cheese but sooooo yummy.

October 14th

Next up was Piranha. Yeah this is super cheesy, the acting is pretty bad too and it's more than obviously a Jaws rip-off but at least Joe Dante (Gremlins) made no secret of it. There's actually a gal that plays a Jaws arcade game. So at least this movie is very selfaware. But it's also quite fun. I mean, there's not much story to it but then again it's a movie about mutated piranhas, so...you know...you get what you pay for, heh.

October 15th

The next movie I watched was '100 Bloody Acres', an Australian dark horror comedy flick and it was sooooooooooo good! Well done Australia. It's about 2 brothers making fertilizer out of human road kill and of course that gets them into all sorts of trouble. I'd say people who enjoyed Tucker & Dale vs. Evil will enjoy this one too although 100 Bloody Acres is certainly less goofy and quite a bit more dark. But still I think it's a movie for the same type of audience. Watch it.

October 16th

And then yesterday I watched 'Open Grave'. In this movie a group of people wake up in the woods, all of them lost their memory. And to make things worse they are surrounded by dead bodies and insane people. So step by step have to find out what happened. I actually liked this movie quite a lot. It's a very different take on a well known, specific genre (don't want to spoil anything) which makes it feel fresh. That movie really wasn't on my radar or at least I didn't expect to like it that much. I think this is one that I'll actually return to at some point.
#322879 by Tyroshai
Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:41 am
The latest Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles dealy.

Surprisingly not all that shit.
Michaelangelo carries the majority of the dialogue though (thankfully!)
#322928 by Huffer
Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:10 am
walt wrote:
Lancermoth wrote:The Ranger.

Set ten years after global economic breakdown.

Won't spoil it.

10/10

Is it possible that you are referring to "The Rover"?

I think he is. Poor guy. He must be having a rough week.
#323190 by Bookwyrm83
Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:21 am
Interstellar
Saw it at the IMAX and it was totally worth it. Christopher Nolan sure knows how to capture immersive detail with these cameras, which adds to the experience.
As far as story goes, it was engaging and realistic in depicting a dystopian future. It's well cast and has interesting twists and arcs.
However it also becomes too sentimental, particularly in the last act. This leads to situations which are simultaneously brilliant and far-fetched. I'd put it on par with The Prestige - great looking and executed but a little overdone.
Still, absolutely recommended, particularly in a proper IMAX cinema.
#323196 by vt1100
Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:44 am
Riddick
And this was director's cut which actually doesn't offer that much, but my philosofy is that if it's out there I want to see it. Story is faintly similar with Pitch Black, remote planet with hostile animals. Also loads of macho bs obviously. Not great movie but somehow I manage to enjoy these as they do have some things in order.

Perfect Sense
This was bit odd one. People starting to lose their senses one by one, finally ending up without ability to smell, taste, hear and see. It's also love story, and Eva Green's tits. As people could still feel touch, I would imagine that playing with those puppies isn't all that bad past time activity :mrgreen:
#323213 by stuz
Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:25 am
vt1100 wrote:Riddick
And this was director's cut which actually doesn't offer that much, but my philosofy is that if it's out there I want to see it. Story is faintly similar with Pitch Black, remote planet with hostile animals. Also loads of macho bs obviously. Not great movie but somehow I manage to enjoy these as they do have some things in order.

I actually enjoyed it and liked it much more than Chronicles of Riddick, which was a complete mess to me. :)
#323219 by swervedriver
Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:26 am
Grand Budapest Hotel

Such a fun movie! Couldn't help but smile throughout most of it. :) If you're looking for something light-hearted to watch, definitely check this one out.
#323240 by Faffy
Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:59 am
Went to see The Babadook with my university "class" last week. Some were scared by it... some found it interesting and meaningful... I was a bit bored by it. :P It was good, it just progressed a bit too slowly for my taste. Absolutely brilliant performances though. Very impressive considering that the entire film was carried by only two actors most of the time - one of which was a child.
#323246 by Eames
Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:51 am
Fury

Dissapointingly generic patriotic take on WW2 from the perspective of a sherman tank captained by Brad Pitt and that guy from Transformers, along with some people I didn't know.

Not amazing and about 3 brilliant setpieces through the whole movie, the rest was ok but a bit bland...

Could have really done with being a 18 certificate because the violence was crap.

6/10
#323276 by Bookwyrm83
Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:02 am
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For.

It was decent enough. Not quite as fun as the original, however still entertaining and with its own memorable moments.
Eva Green seems to be typecast as the sultry black widow as of late, but she makes it an art and never is there a dull moment when she's on screen. It's also nice to see Nancy return and resolve her tale of woe.

I suppose I might have liked this more had it been released maybe 5 years ago, but it still delivers the goods.