Talk about whatever you want to here, but stay correct

Mathematics is the language of Nature...

23%
23%
11%
11%
9%
9%
3%
3%
4%
4%
#12563 by Vesper
Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:35 pm
and they are as follows:

that's the post/user value ;) according to the last standings, NOT COUNTING this one ;)

the meaning of this?

numbers DON'T MEAN ANYTHING :)

(Mullhawk is a junkie, oh gods, we hate his forum-skills ;))

Anyone into PI (the movie?:))

#12635 by Devinaddicted_Nils
Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:30 pm
well, mathematics is veeeeeeery interesting if you understand it... :D :D :D

unfortunately I don't :wink:

#12638 by Coma Divine
Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:47 pm
Oh absolutely, mathematics holds sway from the tiniest to the near-infinite.
    Quantum Theory and Special Relativity - while not being the most easy-to-reconcile nor obvious of bedfellows - have an exclusive relationship that defines the function and form of the All.
      God as mathematician? Intriguing theory...
        Human behaviour...now THERE is something that mathematics can only regard as indeterminate...and within that tiny flaw in the quantum foam of the space-time continuum exists the remarkable concept of Free Will.
          :D

#12640 by The Dev
          Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:54 pm
          Fully yeah :shock:

#12642 by Devinaddicted_Nils
          Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:57 pm
          The Dev wrote:Fully yeah :shock:

well Dev, if I remember right the world used to be mathematics for you, eh? Chaining to a sofa, consume some mushrooms... :? Should have been a nice trip :D

no wonder that you decided "yes" :mrgreen:

#12747 by FinnAtLondon
          Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:51 am
          Definitely. I know almost all math. :shock:

For example:

Your happiness does not follow the curve of how well you are doing, it is the derivative of that.

#12748 by Oz
          Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:57 am
          it must be the finnish education system - my grandfather used to work out some massive hard mths as a hobby... and yeh i agree with it as well, but less about the numbers and more about numbers represent

#12749 by FinnAtLondon
          Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:02 am
          Oz wrote:it must be the finnish education system

Cool stuff.

#12754 by King Fear
          Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:37 am
          Numbers don't mean anything, as they're only a convenient representation of the "numbers themselves", and completely dependent on the decimal system we happen to use. Ten I have of fingers fine. For example, if we were chickens, we'd use the octal system. The "numbers themselves" are so mind-boggingly abstract we can't even imagine them.

#12757 by Oz
          Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:41 am
          i can see your argument, but i think someone (with more mathematical knowledge then me) would be able to rebut that.

#12760 by Devinaddicted_Nils
          Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:44 am
          hm. I've also heard about that theory a while ago...but I don't know whether it's right or not. It would make sense a lot.

#12763 by Apophis
          Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:52 am
          I think I must have left my brain at the entrance.... or it might just be the vacuuous yawning cavern of nothingness currently occupying my head.

#12819 by simbelmyne
          Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:39 am
          Devinaddicted_Nils wrote:
          The Dev wrote:Fully yeah :shock:

well Dev, if I remember right the world used to be mathematics for you, eh? Chaining to a sofa, consume some mushrooms... :? Should have been a nice trip :D

no wonder that you decided "yes" :mrgreen:

you've read that in german rockhard, haven't you?? it's a funny story indeed!!

#12822 by The Dev
          Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:49 am
          As a metatphor yeah, essentially just 0 and 1 will do it...the others just make it more convienient I think

#12827 by kettle
          Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:02 am
          King Fear wrote:Numbers don't mean anything, as they're only a convenient representation of the "numbers themselves", and completely dependent on the decimal system we happen to use. Ten I have of fingers fine. For example, if we were chickens, we'd use the octal system. The "numbers themselves" are so mind-boggingly abstract we can't even imagine them.

surely it's a case of - it doesn't matter how you measure it, nature is proportional or disproportional by definable rules, you just have to choose a language to communicate "it" to other frightened souls in order to be reassured enough to spend a moment appreciating the facts with the limited senses that humans have been blessed with.

some beings would probably find this task easy, while others may find it more difficult, a dog in a mirror for example.