Talk about whatever you want to here, but stay correct
#325658 by Bookwyrm83
Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:34 am
Dear America,
Specifically, dear Republican voters,

Fuck you!

Sincerely,
An expat and likely soon to be ex-citizen of the USA, or as some of the more cunty among you would label me, a traitor.

P.S. Not that it matters but I feel the need to express this. I am American and I did vote Clinton. I do feel sympathy and sorrow for the sane who are now watching their world collapse. I also live in Australia and am very aware of what slimy assholes the politicians here can be.

I loved growing up in California and miss living there. I miss my family, the landscape, the places, the unique benefits and freedoms that it had to offer. Then again, I'm sure there were plenty of expat Germans who felt the same way around World War II.

Pardon me if I no longer want to be associated with a nation of alt-right shitbags, non-committal millennials, hypocritical Libertarians (and Democrats, for that matter) and hordes of those wilfully ignorant of facts and history who instead wish to believe in baseless conspiracies, shallow trends and delusions of grandeur; all while following a moron into a state of literal retardation and bankruptcy (financial and moral). You voted for him! Hope you're happy and you don't mind when he spearheads World War III and turns the nation into a nuclear ground zero!

But hey, marijuana is now legal in California, so I'm glad my vote resulted in something good.
#325659 by fragility
Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:20 am
How do we possibly explain to our children that despite EVERYTHING they have seen to the contrary, neither abusing women nor racism are acceptable?!

This has been a thoroughly s****y week!
#325661 by Octillus
Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:32 am
Words can't even describe how bleakly I feel about it. I've disowned both my father and my cousin.
#325672 by iceblink
Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:14 pm
Great! Glad Trump won!
All the meltdown is ridiculous. These people on the street don't want democracy obviously, or freedom of speech.
There was a democratic election, a 2-horse race, 1 would win and 1 would lose. Because the 1 they wanted didn't win they throw a hissy-fit. Sore losers indeed!
It's a democracy, this is what happens. This result definitely shows what can happen in a democracy when the unexpected gets thru'.

Teenage girls crying because Clinton the corrupt didn't win, unbelievable and silly. People saying 'what do i tell my children.' For god's sake what have you been saying to them up to now, seriously? Scaring them.
You say what i said before, democratic election because we live in a democracy, unfortunately the one i wanted didn't win, but in 4 yrs times we'll have another go. What is the problem? People are so soft these days in our nanny-states.
Because of some of clinton's supporters and the news channels this past yr, especially CNN, people who have a right to vote for who they want were too scared to voice who they supported a lot of the time. That isn't on!
'Freedom of speech is fine but not when it disagrees with me!'

People are still moaning away instead of trying to work out why Trump won, they still don't get it and some will never get it at all.
Mark my words, in the next few yrs there will be documentaries on the clintons being released spelling out just how bad they have been to the American people.

Yes Trump is a bit of a prick, but so what, we all are at times. I really hope he can stop this obsession the West has about political correctness. Don't know how it could be done though?
He will be the most scrutinized President i expect. I daresay the reporters will be hoping for comments by him when he thinks the mics are off. I wouldn't be surprized if one or two of them try to lead him in a certain direction in the hope he stuffs things up and say something 'bad.' I really don't think he will get a fair go over the next 4 yrs.
As long as he is better than weak Obama, the President that drew a red-line in the sand and said cross it if you dare! Putin stepped right over it and took back the Crimea and other bits of Ukraine, Obama did nothing. That gave Putin and the Chinese a big message.
Trump is naive to be sure, and i hope the people that surround him are not 'yes' men. I hope they are experienced in particular fields and confident.

I always supported Clinton and felt sure that one day she'll become the President. But then i started reading up on all the negative press she and Bill were receiving, and it changed my mind on them. I've always been much more on the Democratic side of things even tho i wanted Trump to win in the end.
If he'd of been against anyone else i would of supported them.
Both parties, in The States and elsewhere, have changed and lost their way imo.

Anyway, Trump will not be able to do so much of what he said he would so people shouldn't get too freaked out.
Lessen political correctness, protect free-speech[which we no longer have in Australia] control the borders and increase the military. I suspect the last two here won't be popular but imo they are vital, they make sense.
People who think the military should be shrunk[like in Britain] need a reality check and to look around. We don't live in La La Land where everyone loves each other, despite what The Greens say.
It would be fantastic if countries didn't have weapons, but they do.

As for what Trump said on the tape regarding Females. Wow, talk about hypocrites![the guys on the news channels moaning about Trump.] Do females in our society really believe that males do not speak like that at times? If they do then they are naive.
Ask a man and he'll obviously say 'oh no, of course not, i never speak like that.'
There are particular situations where most guys do talk like that about women. It depends where they are and who they are with. A lot of the time it's about trying to gain acceptance from other, more Alpha males who initiate the comments.
I'm not saying this is a regular thing, not at all. Although over the years i've met the odd guy who is like that most of the time unfortunately.

When i first went online i joined a few different forums. In no time at all i was shocked at how so many young guys viewed females, i couldn't believe it. I still recall myself saying out loud, 'I thought this had all disappeared years ago.' But it hasn't.
I still go to those forums and i'm still shocked at how many males 'hate' females and see them as almost a different species that needs to be conquered, to be lied to and tricked.
A lot of these people are teenagers! Where do they get these views from? Their dads?
I often reply to these disgusting threads, posting videos on the suffragette movement, history of feminism in The States, etc. Whether they take any notice i don't know. Hopefully the occasional person does.
Why do i still visit them?
Because there are some guys on the forum who are not like those ones. Plus the forums are informative about the particular subjects they specialize in.

No doubt people here will have a go at me, and that will simply show that freedom of speech is fine, but not when one disagrees with what the other has said.
#325678 by EphelDuath666
Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:43 pm
nah, man...I might not agree with your choice for president but it's OK.

I however, as an outsider, will say this.....EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK
As I was watching the entire election day and night live on TV I wasn't sure whether I should laugh, cry or just shake my head. I mean....Donald Trump. That's really all you have to say. Donald friggin Trump. So who's gonna run against him in 2020....Snooki? Has this world gone completely bonkers now? I mean, I knew it went bonkers at some point...but Donald Trump? Seriously?

Now I'm German and even I know who Donald Trump is, who he was all his life...I mean, EVERY American, as a result, must have known from the get-go what they've gotten themselves into, first and foremost on the Republican side and then everyone else who switched sides or was undecided for a millions years and then chose Trump. I mean come on....was that the best you could do? Seriously? Does anyone really believe that just because Julian Assange doesn't pursue a personal vendetta against Trump that the RNC and Trump DIDN'T/DON'T have anything to hide? The guy that has people like Roger Ailes and Stephen Bannon by is side is more trustworthy than Clinton? Seriously?

Now don't get me wrong. I still respect people who voted for him, why wouldn't I, most of them are certainly decent people. But they just as certainly allowed this fool to fool them. Big league...as he likes to say. And everyone who didn't vote for him should at least find some comfort in the fact that he didn't win the popular vote...as little as that may seem worth right now, it does SAY something. The majority of you folks made the right choice.

But no worries...us Germans will re-join the club of madness next year because I'm sure the right wing populist fuckwads over here will do mighty fine in our election too.

Well, if there's one thing I learned then it's that you can be absolutely everything you want to be and you don't even have to be qualified for it. So, since that is the case, I'll be a heart surgeon from now on. Any volunteers?
#325681 by Octillus
Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:42 am
There has been racist violence that has already occurred as a direct result of this. I'm sorry, but I cannot accept anyone in my life who voted for this man. If it were just a normal election swing, things would be different but I will not abide fascism
#325683 by Victimlas
Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:15 am
I am a Bernie Sanders voter and the last person I would have voted for was Trump, but I do also think everyone needs to calm down. There was racist violence after Obama was elected as well. The worst of the worst come out during times like this.

The sobering fact is that even Obama supporters voted for Trump. I refuse to believe that just after electing and re-electing the first African American President, half of the voters are racist or fascist. People are tired of Washington and thought this would be change. Honestly, I doubt Trump is going to do even half of the things he promised on his campaign. He has already started backpedaling on some of the most important issues. He looked scared sh*tless when he met Obama and that's awesome. Shows he realizes he is in over his head. We have no choice but to give him a chance and hope for the best.
#325685 by Octillus
Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:36 am
We have to hope for the best but should absolutely expect the worst. I live in the most diverse metro area in the world (Queens) and a friend had swastikas etched into his recycling cans. A woman on the bus was screamed at to take off her hijab until she left the bus. A woman was pushed in front of a train and murdered - this one I'm not certain is because of racism, but it does not bode well for the, you know, extremely red and conservative New York City.
#325687 by Bookwyrm83
Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:53 pm
Upon calmer reflection, it's more likely I'll simply become a dual citizen here. I have thought about it for awhile but am absolutely convinced now. Besides, it will allow me the opportunity to vote in future and I absolutely will take advantage of that.

Fortunately, I do not have Facebook and so do not have to be exposed to all the negativity being expressed there (says the guy who wrote the start of this discussion), particularly I presume from some of my more conservative relatives. My mother and sisters on the other hand are trying to ignore their accounts for effectively the same reason.

While I do agree with hope/unity/free speech/democracy etc. the results are still stomach churning. I don't suppose any of the previous Republican nominees would be much better but I doubt the division would be as extreme if one of them got in. Well, maybe Ted Cruz. That being said, I do hope the country doesn't completely fall into ruin over the next four years.

On a completely unrelated note, RIP Leonard Cohen.
#325689 by Victimlas
Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:08 am
Octillus wrote:We have to hope for the best but should absolutely expect the worst. I live in the most diverse metro area in the world (Queens) and a friend had swastikas etched into his recycling cans. A woman on the bus was screamed at to take off her hijab until she left the bus. A woman was pushed in front of a train and murdered - this one I'm not certain is because of racism, but it does not bode well for the, you know, extremely red and conservative New York City.

That's just horrible :( :( I hope things start settling down, there's no excuse for behavior like that

I am not a Trump supporter or an apologist. I was one of those people that were completely and utterly shocked he won. It was like a slap in the face. I just personally don't want to dwell on the negativity and pessimism that's rampant on Facebook. I don't like Trump but I don't think it will be the end of the US either. He's also backpedaling a lot so I think he's more liberal than he's portrayed himself to be. If you watched 60 minutes his tone is completely different.
#325691 by EphelDuath666
Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:49 pm
yeah, I think this is one of those 'let's wait and see' cases. A friend of mine in NC put it this way: "I'm not too worried about Trump, I'm more worried about the people". It's pretty much the same thing over here. The right wing populist dip shits don't worry me too much. It's their supporters who really scare the crap out of me. It's amazing how blatant racisim and political incorrectness are being seen as one and the same now. Everywhere. I grew up with friends with all kinds of backgrounds...and yes, that includes muslim friends too. So I kinda take this "political incorrectness" thing, or as I call it...the racism and xenophobia thing... rather personal.

People like Trump, his new dip shit chief strategist Stephen Bannon, the twat waffle that is Frauke Petry over here in Germany (she's the head of the Alternative for Germany, a party of twat waffles)...these people have given racists, xenophobes and homophobes a voice. Whether they actually stand for the things they say or said remains to be seen. But I do think they have opened pandora's box.

The fact that Trump dialed down somewhat in that interview on 60 minutes is at least something. But he has said so many conflicting things over the past months. And there's Bannon by his side and Trump listens to that guy which to me is very concerning.

And in regards to all the turmoil on the streets...as long as there are no riots, I believe those folks have every right to be on the streets. it's mostly latino folks, african american folks, homosexual folks...and I think they have every right to be worried too. I'd be worried too if I were them.
#325695 by JuZ
Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:02 am
Just when you think he might not be so unrelentingly awful he appoints Stephen Bannon as Chief Strategist.

Wow.
#325704 by Victimlas
Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:37 am
I know! Unbelievable... even from a strategic point of view it makes no sense
#325713 by Octillus
Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:31 am
This happened:

http://m.motherjones.com/media/2016/11/ ... ews-people

But I'll give you a gist. The most mainstream news network in the United States flashed the phrase at the bottom:

"Alt-Right Founder Questions If Jews Are People"

Now you can argue about context, you can argue about that it's the media cherry picking and phrasing from a fascist's speech, but the reality is this - we are in a world that has declared this is a normal message to put out into the ether.

I'm just at such a loss and feel the wind out of my sails. In the wake of the election have been spending so much energy to try and be an advocate for queer people, people of color, muslims, everyone who was being oppressed by these fucking assholes, even in New York. But I'm selfishly afraid that I'm going to a future where I have to hide my heritage, because I'm not practicing and I just pass as a dopey white guy.

I don't talk about this too much, but when I was in high school I used to be basically castigated by my "friends" for not really being a Jew because I didn't practice. That being Jewish wasn't a race, and it was only a faith, etc, because their world view had been shaped almost entirely by angry libertarian prattling from South Park. There was a lot of other malice, and I wasn't exactly the most likable teen either - but that shit always stuck with me.

I've been losing family on my father's side over this. I just can't abide those who normalize the world and make mainstream ideologies that dehumanize others, and sad to say for what feels like the first time as a straight cis white male, myself.