N/A
N/A
6%
6%
11%
11%
#13170 by Apophis
Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:35 am
right. I've heard all Mastodon and about 3 or 4 Today Is The Day, and got curious as to who everyone else prefers.

I can understand TITD's appeal, but for me Mastodon are a far healthier prospect - probably because they're more metallic hence appeal to me more.
I know Brann Dailor and Bill Kelliher used to be in Today Is The Day before leaving and forming Mastodon so there's bound to be some similarities, I just prefer the latter.

everyone elses view is...?

#13199 by Ramses-Bringer Of War
Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:53 am
I'd say Mastodon have just edged it.

I really enjoyed the Today Is The Day albums: Temple Of The Morning Star & In The Eyes Of God, but 'Sadness Will Prevail', was just a little too over the top with experimentation and it's rather relaxed sense of focus. I found it quite difficult to digest in places, and often found myself wishing the CD would end so I could put something else on.

Mastodon though, shocked the shit out me with the sheer gargantuan metal sludge-fest of, 'Remission'. I already had their e.p. - which pretty much equates to a demo CD compared to the album. 'Remission', just heaves power and earth!!! I can't wait to see them 'live' with Dillinger in June. I've heard they play tight as fuck like Neurosis. As much as I love Dillinger, I'm sure Mastodon will slap them bitches up!!! hehehehehe!!! :D

#13231 by Apophis
Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:10 pm
Dunkelheit wrote:I don't think I've ever heard Mastodon, any good?

http://shop.relapse.com/artist/artist.a ... stID=10063
and listen to March Of The Fire Ants... or watch the video.

I'm just gutted that they're only playing one UK date, in London, in June :cry:

#13274 by Sinkharmony
Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:44 pm
Mastodon are great, their live show is alot of fun. Remission was such a great, fresh combination of different styles of metal. Today is the Day doesn't do much for me.

#13333 by Apophis
Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:52 am
looks pretty damn conclusive so far :guitar:

#13344 by Dunkelheit
Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:40 am
Apophis wrote:
Dunkelheit wrote:I don't think I've ever heard Mastodon, any good?

http://shop.relapse.com/artist/artist.a ... stID=10063
and listen to March Of The Fire Ants... or watch the video.

I'm just gutted that they're only playing one UK date, in London, in June :cry:

Now that kicked some arse.

#13551 by dub
Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:00 pm
I'd say its unfair to compare a legacy of six brilliant albums with a band who only have one release and an EP. There's nothing wrong with liking both! ahah

Even so, if I were to compare In The Eyes of God with Remission, TITD would just take it for me. Just.

I've got the Lethargy 'Discography' and Brann is fucking brilliant on that too.

I'm looking forward to the upcoming albums 'Leviathan' and 'Kiss the Pig', just about equally. The real ace I'm wanting is the retrospective TITD DVD.... :D

Opinions on TITD are usually extreme either way I guess, a band with truly limited appeal.

#13770 by Apophis
Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:16 am
please excuse my denseness, but have they announced the name for the new Mastodon album yet?

#13854 by MullHawk
Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:59 pm
Thats a really tough poll. It depends what album you are talking about though, In the eyes of god would take it for me.

#13870 by Krazee-Eyez Killa
Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:50 pm
I"m so pissed, Mastodon is playing really close to me next weekend and I can't get in, fucking 18+ shows. :x

#13894 by Sinkharmony
Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:54 pm
Krazee-Eyez Killa wrote:I"m so pissed, Mastodon is playing really close to me next weekend and I can't get in, fucking 18+ shows. :x

18+? What's the point of that. I can understand 21+ but why 18+? You should get a fake id and just go anyways.

#13929 by dub
Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:53 pm
The drinking ages isn't 21 everywhere in the US is it? Perhaps it's 18 in his state.

The new Mastodon is called 'Leviathan', the new TITD; 'Kiss the Pig'.
#13932 by Sinkharmony
Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:58 pm
dub wrote:The drinking ages isn't 21 everywhere in the US is it? Perhaps it's 18 in his state.

I'm pretty sure it's 21 everywhere in the US. It's different in Canada though.
#13939 by Krazee-Eyez Killa
Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:17 pm
Sinkharmony wrote:
dub wrote:The drinking ages isn't 21 everywhere in the US is it? Perhaps it's 18 in his state.

I'm pretty sure it's 21 everywhere in the US. It's different in Canada though.

Yep its 21 here so I have no idea why its 18+. But I still am gonna try to find some way to go.