Talk about whatever you want to here, but stay correct
#282515 by Lolliklauer
Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:02 am
I highly recommend two visionary thrillers by Daniel Suarez, "Daemon" and "Freedom (TM)".

Daniel Suarez books use today's world as a background for a multi-faceted story that centers around the heritage of a computer genius, who uses relatively dumb (also called „narrow“) artificial intelligence systems derived from the „learning“ algorithms who control characters in computer games to completely change the world.

There is an excellent interview with the author, done by the spokesperson of the german hacker group "Chaos Computer Club". That interview is very long, but i learned more from it than from two years of reading newspapers:

http://www.faz.net/artikel/C31013/english-version-understanding-the-daemon-30335650.html
#285001 by Bookwyrm83
Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:55 pm
Getting Off by Lawrence Block. Saw it at the library in the new books display, loved the cover and the promise of sex and violence; distributed by Hard Case, and they usually deliver the goods. This book is no exception.
The story is of a nymphomaniac serial killer, who murders every man that she has sex with, steals their money when necessary, and moves on. She frequently changes her identity, preferring not to stay in one place for too long. One day she realizes that there are still a few guys she's been with that she hasn't killed, and she makes it her mission to track them down and finish them off.
This book has everything a good pulp novel needs: dark humor, eroticism, and bloody deaths, and it delivers them all with relish. Very glad I read this.
#285222 by RockMum
Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:48 pm
EVERYTHING by Clive Barker is amazing, the first one I read was Weaveworld. It was in development for years with Showtime and the Beeb but never really got the final go ahead, the script was written by Michael Marshall Smith, I highly recommend Only Forward if you like dystopian futuristic cities, kind of like Phillip K Dick and Judge Dredd with cats and plenty of gore. Other Clive Barkers I recommend are Gallilee and Sacrament, and The Great and Secret Show, might have to read that again because it was so long ago I've actually forgotten it. Lettuce has met Doug Bradley, Pinhead from Hellraiser. 8) I also recommend the audio books of Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys, read by Lenny Henry, and The Graveyard Books read by the man himself. Also Smoke and Mirrors, a collection of short stories. One of those, called The Price is in development as a CGI film narrated by himself too. It's about a black cat who lives in the basement of an old house and protects the family who live there.
#285236 by mrbean667
Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:35 pm
Room by Emma Donoghue.

Jack is five. He lives in a single, locked room with his Ma. Nothing is real outside the Room. Only Old Nick and his occasional visits. Until one day Ma tells Jack that there is something more...

Told from a kid's perspective. This book is absolute genius. All I can say is, it will change your fucking life. Read it.
#317535 by Bookwyrm83
Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:28 am
Reviving this thread after reading Stephen King's Joyland. It's one he wrote for the Hard Case Crime publishers, with cover art that has the look of a pulpy title.

It's about a young man who gets a job working in an amusement park, and learns that a girl was murdered in the haunted house ride some years before. It's rumored that her ghost lingers in the haunted house, as well. He gradually becomes involved with finding out the identity of her killer. Sounds almost like a Scooby-Doo episode, doesn't it? Especially as the park's mascot is a grinning German Shepard.

That said, it does run in a similar vein to the stories in Different Seasons or The Green Mile, being both a murder mystery and a human drama you can relate to. In fact, it's more so the latter, although it works effectively at keeping you guessing. Whilst it's not one of his longer books, it's certainly one of his most moving. I was damn near in tears by the end. Worth checking out.
#321280 by Lettuce
Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:56 pm
I never read novels, almost all of my books are textbooks; but I was recommended The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien by a friend. Very dark and decades ahead of it's time.