Talk about whatever you want to here, but stay correct
#182225 by sj_2150
Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:51 am
so i havent read a book in at least 6 months and i really dont know what to read next. The last book i read was The Executioners (AKA Cape Feare) and the book was acctually very crap compared to both the Cape Feare films. Ive heard that i should read 1984 by George Orwell too but id like a selection of books i can think about anyway. im open to ANY suggestions on what books to read too. so any suggestions? :)
#182226 by Devy, spelled Devy!
Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:59 am
Anything by H.P Lovecraft :) But I don't know if you like short, florid horror stories written in the late 1800's and early 1900's *shrug*

More suggestions to come! I like this thread - There's too many good books out there.
#182232 by frequency-lsd
Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:26 am
Friedrich Nietzsche - The Antichrist
Friedrich Nietzsche - Human, All To Human
Nietzsche was a great german philosopher, He wrote critical texts on religion, morality, contemporary culture, philosophy, and science

Mark Z. Danielewski - House Of Leaves
this might be one of the most interesting books i have ever read, many many storylines at the same time, sometimes even on the same page!
some info from wikipedia:

The format and structure of the novel is unconventional, with unusual page layout and style, making it ergodic literature. It contains copious footnotes, many of which contain footnotes themselves, and some of which reference books that do not exist.[1] Some pages contain only a few words or lines of text, arranged in strange ways to mirror the events in the story, often creating both an agoraphobic and a claustrophobic effect. The novel is also distinctive for its multiple narrators, who interact with each other throughout the story in disorienting and elaborate ways.

#182233 by psychotic
Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:49 am
Philip K Dick - Valis
Philip K Dick - The Divine Invasion
Philip K Dick - The Transmigration of Timothy Archer
Philip K Dick - The Man in the High Tower
Philip K Dick - A Scanner Darkly
Philip K Dick - Radio Free Albemuth
Philip K Dick - Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Philip K Dick - UBIK

Outside of my obsession with Philip K Dick, I can also reccomend a number of books I've been reading on the paranormal, however, I'll just leave it to the authors. Troy Taylor and Leslie Rule seem to be the best ones to read from, at least from my perspective.

Also, classical readings, such as Dante's Divine Comedy, Homer and Virgil's writings like the Iliad, Odyssey, and Aenid are highly reccomended.
#182236 by djskrimp
Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:16 am
chip8088 wrote:Depends if you like Sci Fi. If you do, then read Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. Hands down my favorite book of all time.

Wow.....same here. "Speaker For the Dead" changed my life, and (funnily enough) about the same time I started listening to Devin Townsend.
#182239 by Kivenkantaja
Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:44 am
Steven Hall -The Raw Shark Texts

A guy loses his memory, gets letters from himself and fighst a conceptual shark. A little something to twist your mind. Good book. A thriller of some kind I guess?

Jeff Lindsay - Darkly Dreaming Dexter

Yeah, yeah the same Dexter that's on showtime. Read the book and don't watch the show. A healthy dose of Massive Attack is recommended while reading this.

Terry Pratchett's discworld novels, or at least some of them, are quite good. Stay away from the first two or three and your good. Hogfather and Soul Musicare highly recommended.

Because I am a cynical bastard I'd also like to recommend The Lord of the Flies. The only book I've ever referred to as 'one of my all time favourites'.

#182248 by chip8088
Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:06 am
djskrimp wrote:
chip8088 wrote:Depends if you like Sci Fi. If you do, then read Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. Hands down my favorite book of all time.

Wow.....same here. "Speaker For the Dead" changed my life, and (funnily enough) about the same time I started listening to Devin Townsend.

NIce! I read Ender's game three times, heard the book on tape during long car trips twice, read Speaker for the Dead through Children of the Mind twice, and Ender's Shadow twice...i'm a bit obsessive. haha
#182252 by Josiah Tobin
Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:20 am
Neuromancer by William Gibson is one I always recommend if it hasn't been posted. Possibly my favorite book bar none :) Just amazingly structured, fantastic plot and the atmosphere is thick enough to choke you.

Also, I just recently finished the Otherland series by Tad Williams, which left me with a fantastic impression. The best ending to one of these 'epic' series of books I've read yet.

Another novel I've read relatively recently that sticks out as particularly excellent is Myst: The Book of Atrus. Even if you haven't played the game it's a fantastic, solidly-constructed story in itself with wonderfully unique characters and settings.

~Josiah
#182268 by BlueRaja
Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:42 am
Josiah Tobin wrote:
Another novel I've read relatively recently that sticks out as particularly excellent is Myst: The Book of Atrus. Even if you haven't played the game it's a fantastic, solidly-constructed story in itself with wonderfully unique characters and settings.

~Josiah

Oh wow! I read all 3 of the Myst novels. I was quite obsessed with everything-Myst for a few years. :D

I'll recommend my usual selection:
It & Insomnia - Stephen King
Weaveworld - Clive Barker (his short story books are also goodly bizarre)
Into Thin Air & Into The Wild - Jon Krakauer (first helps feed my everything-Mt Everest obsession)

There's also this thread: http://www.hevydevyforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4753
#182270 by Amber
Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:01 pm
Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. It's his fist published book (I think) And its really amazing. The characters depth is astounding, and the story is very interesting too. Cleverly written, and part of a trilogy. (although the second two aren't out yet ;-;) :D
#182272 by soundsofentropy
Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:09 pm
Orwell's 1984 is good, and so is Aldous Huxley's Brave New World (and most of the rest of his stuff). My favorite stuff is by Thomas Pynchon. For instance, Gravity's Rainbow is quite a trip. There's also James Joyce's stuff--Ulysses is a great, big read. Sounds like there are already some great recommendations on the thread, so I'll leave it be. Enjoy. :D
#182280 by MeOpsis
Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:05 pm
Just gonna go from the top of my head:

Cryptonomicon and Snow Crash By Neal Stephenson
Wraethu By Storm Constantine
Cat's Cradle By Kurt Vonnegut
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

I'll add more later.
#182282 by Devy, spelled Devy!
Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:07 pm
Josiah Tobin wrote:Neuromancer by William Gibson is one I always recommend if it hasn't been posted. Possibly my favorite book bar none :) Just amazingly structured, fantastic plot and the atmosphere is thick enough to choke you.

Hmmm that sounds interesting, what is the book about? Is it science fiction by any chance? :)

Oh, since were talking about Kurt Vonnegut - Slaughterhouse Five. That book is fantastic. Cat's Cradle is great too, those two books are eerily similar in some respects.