Talk about whatever you want to here, but stay correct
#237924 by Tyroshai
Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:22 am
swervedriver wrote:
Tyroshai wrote:
swervedriver wrote:
sarai-chan wrote:I haven't read this yet, but I just wanted to share, since I am so excited! :D
I bought a book called "Nostradamus - The Prophecies"!
Was only 2 euros, so I decided to go for it.
It's in english, and has some difficult words, so I need to tackle it with my dictionary.
But he was an interesting guy, so I am looking forward to read it.

Carry on!

All you need to know:
[youtube]5aAMSBLNIpg[/youtube]

Too bad it's a bit out of sync though.

Too bad it's a bit not funny though :P

Like your face.

Well, that's something to be glad of.
#237929 by Biert
Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:22 am
Tyroshai wrote:
swervedriver wrote:
Tyroshai wrote:
swervedriver wrote:Too bad it's a bit out of sync though.

Like your face.

Do you see us laughing though? Didn't think so. Don't be so sure it's "Something to be glad of".
#237961 by Tyroshai
Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:31 pm
Biert wrote:
Tyroshai wrote:
swervedriver wrote:
Tyroshai wrote:

Like your face.

Do you see us laughing though? Didn't think so. Don't be so sure it's "Something to be glad of".

I'd rather my face didn't make people burst out with laughter.
Well, my face already has more comedy value than Hans. That's not difficult. :P
#237984 by swervedriver
Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:36 am
Tyroshai wrote:I'd rather my face didn't make people burst out with laughter.
Well, my face already has more comedy value than Hans. That's not difficult. :P

Stay on that side of the pond then, your face might be a lethal weapon over here.
#238034 by sarai-chan
Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:58 am
Biert wrote:
Tyroshai wrote:
swervedriver wrote:
Tyroshai wrote:

Like your face.

Too bad it took me a whileto figure out how to read the small print.
:roll:
Started to read Da Vinci Code instead :D
#254036 by Bookwyrm83
Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:23 am
Recently discovered Joe Hill, son of Stephen King and an excellent author in his own right. Just read Heart-Shaped Box, a tale of an aging rock star who on a whim buys a ghost online to add to his collection of the macabre, unaware his purchase is a real ghost that's out for blood. Recommended for great storytelling, memorable charaters, and the many respectful references to metal, rock and music as a whole.
#254056 by Tonya Elf
Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:37 am
Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. Absolutely brilliant writer, uses language and sentence structure phenomenally. It is an absolute tragedy that he committed suicide in 2008 - he was unbearably talented. I don't generally read contemporary fiction, but if you enjoy reading, the book is terrific.
#254065 by BrunoN
Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:42 pm
Alucard was asking about Metro 2033 in VG thread: it's rather good. Nice and very Russian adventure-horror story with plenty of interesting places and characters with personalities. Moscow's metro system makes good setting for post-apocalyptic story. Everything's much more complex than game, also has much less firefights. Second book, Metro 2034 is good too, altough dark and bitter as fuck - first one is almost optimistic compared to it (and it's pretty fucking depressing already).
#254114 by mrbean667
Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:01 am
I'm sure it's been recommended before, but:

House of Leaves. Seriously. Best book ever.
#254117 by simbelmyne
Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:13 am
David Grann - The Lost City of Z

A book about the real story of adventurer Percy Fawcett who is searching a city/civilization like El Dorado in the Amazonian jungle and disappears. It's very well written and investigated and the author travels to the places where Fawcett has been.
#255435 by Bookwyrm83
Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:34 pm
Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child write great books, generally scientific crime thrillers.
Relic & The Ice Limit I'd recommend as good places to start. Their solo books are also worth reading (Preston's Blasphemy I loved).
#281315 by lunarsea
Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:38 am
Has anyone read the 'His Dark Materials' trilogy? I'm on the (third) Amber Spyglass and loving it!
#281318 by shiram
Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:45 am
I just read "God, No! Signs You May Already Be An Atheist and Other Magical Tales" by Penn Jilette.
Pretty awesome and fun book, that guy has had so many cool experience it's quite fun to read about them, and he writes the same way he speaks, so it felt like he was narrating in my head.
#281322 by Bookwyrm83
Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:59 am
Recently read "Paradise Lost, Smyrna 1922: The Destruction of Islam’s City of Tolerance" by Giles Milton. Basically, it's a historical account of the Turkish city of Smyrna (now known as Izmir), which was one of the most successful cities in Turkey at the time, thriving on working multiculturalism, and was populated mostly by Christians.
The city's downfall came after the war between Greece and Turkey, when the victorious Turkish army marched into the city and razed it to the ground, sparing the Turkish Quarter. Because of the tense political climate after the First World War, the Allied countries found themselves able to do little for those being massacred right before their eyes.
The material is taken from eyewitness accounts from diaries and survivors of the incident. Hard but powerful reading, and absolutely worth the time.