Post HevyDevy fan art, covers, mashups, guitar tabs, etc here
#66360 by Justinic
Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:53 pm
I just recently purchased a Shure SM57 mic, and I got the standard XLR cable with it. When I got home, I remembered that I don't have an XLR connection on my Audigy card, which is what I run into to record on my PC. So, I ordered a XLR to 1/4 adapter from musicians friend, thinking that would solve my problem. Now the problem is, when I hook it up to my PC, the volume is insanely low. Like I have to crank my input all the way up (which gives me a lot of extra noise) and I still have to turn the sound way up on the track itself.

Is there something I need to do, or am I F'd in the A?

#66399 by Woocifer
Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:10 pm
You might wanna look into getting a preamp that you plug the mic into that you can control the in and out through it and have the XLR and 1/4" out work for you instead of against you.

I have a ART Studio V3 Tube preamp for my mic...now if I can only get it to sound nice with these crappy programs....

#66421 by GDiddy
Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:19 pm
Yeah, you can't run an sm57 without a preamp. I suggest a Neve 1073. However, if you don't have $3500 to spend on a preamp, I would check into what your local pro audio store has to offer. You can find some cheap ones for probably under $100.

#66422 by Greg Reason
Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:34 pm
Yes, you definitely need a pre. Behringer make cheap ones for like eighty bucks that don't sound incredible but will do the trick. You could also run it through a guitar preamp if you have one of those... I sometimes put mics through my Digitech 2101.

#66522 by Mr_Chimp
Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:06 am
The obvious thing thats been overlooked is where the cable is plugged in!

If the jack was plugged into the MIC input or the LINE input.
If the MIC was plugged into the LINE input the level would be really low,
you would need to plug the SM58 into the MIC Input. This is designed for microphone and has a louder preamp.

Try this first, but a good external preamp wouldn't hurt.
#66614 by mo
Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:28 pm
Justinic wrote:I just recently purchased a Shure SM57 mic, and I got the standard XLR cable with it. When I got home, I remembered that I don't have an XLR connection on my Audigy card, which is what I run into to record on my PC. So, I ordered a XLR to 1/4 adapter from musicians friend, thinking that would solve my problem. Now the problem is, when I hook it up to my PC, the volume is insanely low. Like I have to crank my input all the way up (which gives me a lot of extra noise) and I still have to turn the sound way up on the track itself.

Is there something I need to do, or am I F'd in the A?

I know what might be wrong. If you're recording through windows XP, go to your volume properties, then go to the recording options (under FILE, PROPERTIES), then when you go back to the main screen, hit advanced and there is a microphone boost in there, see if that helps.

#66635 by Woocifer
Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:23 pm
Does that particular mic need phantom power? That might also be the problem...if you have no power to it...guess what...its dull and weak and like a little girl...ahahhaha ;)

#66857 by Justinic
Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:55 pm
Mr_Chimp wrote:The obvious thing thats been overlooked is where the cable is plugged in!

If the jack was plugged into the MIC input or the LINE input.
If the MIC was plugged into the LINE input the level would be really low,
you would need to plug the SM58 into the MIC Input. This is designed for microphone and has a louder preamp.

Try this first, but a good external preamp wouldn't hurt.

I record through a Soundblaster Audigy 2. The mic input on the back card is a 1/8 jack, so I don't use it. The one on front is labeled Line in 2/Mic in 2. That's what I connected to but I have to crank the volume all the way.

mo wrote:
I know what might be wrong. If you're recording through windows XP, go to your volume properties, then go to the recording options (under FILE, PROPERTIES), then when you go back to the main screen, hit advanced and there is a microphone boost in there, see if that helps.

Tried that, it was already checked. Also made sure none of my volumes were cranked way down.

Woocifer wrote:Does that particular mic need phantom power? That might also be the problem...if you have no power to it...guess what...its dull and weak and like a little girl...ahahhaha ;)

Nope, it's a Dynamic mic, not a condensor.

#66858 by Justinic
Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:56 pm
Also, for those familiar with preamps, is this one any good?

http://www.music123.com/ART-Tube-MP-i37170.music

I don't know much about them other than I've heard a little praise on this one and I like that it has 48V Phantom power with it.

#67038 by Woocifer
Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:32 am
That's the step down from my preamp. Mine actually has a selector knob and tube so you can change the tone of the recording.

Its a cheap solution to help ya out!

#67048 by Mr_Chimp
Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:10 am
It looks like a nice pre-amp is required. The art is very nice, there are a few on the market, this got some really good reviews :

http://www.dv247.com/invt/22801

#67566 by mass_infinity
Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:06 pm
Check out the Digidesign Mbox. Its a Pro Tools interface/pre. Its got Focusrite Pre's in it so you know its gonna sound decent aswell as 2 ins, 2 outs, Spdif in and out and ya get pro tools le with a bunch of wicked plug ins.

They go for dirt cheap second hand on ebay, even if you wanted a new one i don't think they are that pricey.

#67596 by A-Daamage
Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:25 am
As everyone has pretty much stated, you need a preamp. That's why most PA's have mixers with preamps built into them.