Post HevyDevy fan art, covers, mashups, guitar tabs, etc here

Which EMG for the neck (Gibson LesPaul)?

27%
27%
23%
23%
#69992 by Devinaddicted_Nils
Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:30 am
I hate decisions...I wanna grade up my Les Paul with EMG...81 for the bridge is clear for me...but what about the neck?

Any experiences with the mentioned above?

#69996 by IBrokeAString
Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:57 am
I only have experiences with the EMG 60. You can pretty much take what they write in the advertising for it.
Bluesy, Twangy, etc. Sounds nice

#69997 by Devinaddicted_Nils
Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:08 am
EMG 89 has the functions of the 85 AND you can switch it into Single coil use (dunno which one from EMG)...so that's what makes me suffer due to the decision...

Hetfield uses the 60 afaik.

#70085 by Morphine
Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:39 pm
I use a 60. I never cared for the tones I got from the 89 despite it's versatility.

#70411 by kent
Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:53 pm
while I cant help you on that decision,, i might recomend that you go over to http://www.johnpetrucci.com and look on his forum if you havent done so allready. Do a search on the forum and you'll find all kinds of posts about EMG's. IF you dont find what your looking for then join the forum and post your own question. Theres a guy there with the username CAMBA, and he's an EMG freak so he could probably give you some pointers.

#70417 by Devinaddicted_Nils
Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:21 pm
thanks. I might check the Petrucci-forum.

@all : And thanx for your opinions though. Keep on going with that.

#70628 by Archetype
Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:28 am
am I the only guitarist who doesn't like EMG pickups? I know that Devin uses them and lot of metal guitarists, but I think they're wussy pickups. The volume is really nothing compared to other pickups.

Maybe it's just me, but I like the fuller, uncut guitar sound more, than the clinical / straightforward EMG sound

#70650 by boogie
Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:12 am
Archetype wrote:am I the only guitarist who doesn't like EMG pickups? I know that Devin uses them and lot of metal guitarists, but I think they're wussy pickups. The volume is really nothing compared to other pickups.

Maybe it's just me, but I like the fuller, uncut guitar sound more, than the clinical / straightforward EMG sound

You're not alone. I like passive pickups better, too.

Probably my fav humbuckers are the Steven Kersting Dualtone IIs. He winds them to every customer's specifications. Great pickup! http://www.skguitar.com

Tammo

#70706 by Devinaddicted_Nils
Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:35 am
:shock:

wow...I thought things like that would be way more expensive...this is nothing for unique PUs

#70762 by IBrokeAString
Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:09 am
Archetype wrote:am I the only guitarist who doesn't like EMG pickups? I know that Devin uses them and lot of metal guitarists, but I think they're wussy pickups. The volume is really nothing compared to other pickups.

you are not! I think EMG's are fucking wood sound killers. Last year or so I posted here and said that a fucking barndoor would sound awesome with an EMG on it. And I second the remark on the volume. But that's probably because of the EQ thingy thats hidden somewhere inside the polyacrylic casing. That goes especially for the EMG 81. The EMG 60 I tried indeed sounded nice.