Post HevyDevy fan art, covers, mashups, guitar tabs, etc here

#14579 by Falk
Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:44 pm
Well in fact, even when I move some notes on the lower string, I can't really play that well, that pinky's always too damn short and I miss it 3 times out of 4...

And just to precise, always verify the tabs I write^^, cuz' I'm far from an experienced player and could do mistakes, and I wouln't want you to copy my mistakes, though you should hear it as soon as you take your guitar and play^^.

And just to precise too, I use guitarpro a lot, in fact I'm short on budget, and so never could afford guitar lessons, so all I know about music theory (which I figure isn't much) comes from http://www.cyberfret.com and what I could figure out by myself in guitarpro.
For example, a few months ago, after having played for more than one year in economic picking, I read that site again and realized I miss the sentence where it's written "PLAY STRICtLY ALTERNATE"... Argh !

Well I don't play 5 hours a day, but anyway I had to relearn what I knew. I know on most of guitar/band board there's often a "economic Vs alternate picking" thread, and now I would say alternate, this really developpes a reflex in your right hand and you stop thinking of it.
Well I'm sick of it, I have to find some work and pay some guitar lessons !

But all that to say that I find guitar pro really good.
You can mute the guitar track and play on the rythm, etc etc...

#14722 by FinnAtLondon
Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:45 am
Hey Falk, it's not mandatory to take lessons to get better, but remember to listen other guys comments that help you avoid picking up bad habits.

That economy vs. alternate debate, I have taken the alternate path. It's good for all around playing. Still, you might want to check out Frank Gambale and Shawn Lane videos ( :shock: ), they really can prove me wrong. But still, that economy thing seems quite artificial and premeditated, alternate picking is so automatic for me. REMEMBER! Use only your wrist, not fingers or elbow!

#15156 by Amaran
Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:55 am
StrappingYoungLad wrote:i promise ill post all the scales hes showed very soon...:) keeop an eye out or PM me..
*bump* :)

#15466 by -THe-Billy-
Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:08 pm
danra wrote:i pm'd strappingyounglad and he didn't reply, so i dunno...anyone else?

what exactly did you need help with?

#15496 by danra
Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:20 pm
he said he had a load of scales in cgcgce he'd written down from talking to Devin, and i thought it'd would have been cool to have them typed up. suppose I'm gonna end up working them out myself though....ho hum, if only i wasn't so lazy...

modes, here i come.

#15701 by StrappingYoungLad
Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:26 pm
FinnAtLondon wrote:Hey Falk, it's not mandatory to take lessons to get better, but remember to listen other guys comments that help you avoid picking up bad habits.

That economy vs. alternate debate, I have taken the alternate path. It's good for all around playing. Still, you might want to check out Frank Gambale and Shawn Lane videos ( :shock: ), they really can prove me wrong. But still, that economy thing seems quite artificial and premeditated, alternate picking is so automatic for me. REMEMBER! Use only your wrist, not fingers or elbow!

True...i have NEVER had a single guitar lesson in my life...and i've been playing sinc 1995 ;) Just follow your heart, eyes and ears...

Chris

#16558 by Amaran
Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:47 pm
yeah, I can't await to finally get my hands on those scales. But I'm sure SYL will post them soon enough, something like that takes some time :)

#16615 by StrappingYoungLad
Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:30 pm
Yeah..i'll post them guys...i know i'm on here a lot..but that kind of thing is time consuming...especially with all of the uni work i have...5th year is a bitch :( For the next 3 weeks i'll be OVERLY exerting myself as a high school teacher :twisted:
Chris

#17013 by Greg Reason
Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:24 pm
Yeah, I was considering putting on of my guitars in CGCGCE but I decided against it.... It's just treading a little too closely on his coat tails I think! I just tune everything down a whole tone now.

#17299 by -THe-Billy-
Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:26 pm
Falk wrote:Yup' Danra, I don't have very big hands neither, well especially that crappy pinky finger which is one inch smaller than the other fingers... When I'll get rich, I'll do a custom guitar with a thinner neck :p as I have really thin fingers, I'm sure I could handle 7 or 8 strings on a regular neck :lol: .
The C scale in E :

E||----------------------------------------------------------10--12--13--||
B||----------------------------------------------10--12--13--------------||
G||-----------------------------------9--10--12--------------------------||
D||------------------------9--10--12-------------------------------------||
A||-------------8--10--12------------------------------------------------||
E||--8--10--12-----------------------------------------------------------||

Same in open C, 3 notes per string, kinda weird
E||------------------------------------------------------------10--12--13--||
C||-------------------------------------------------9--11--12--------------||
G||--------------------------------------9--10--12-------------------------||
C||--------------------------11--12--14------------------------------------||
G||--------------10--12--14------------------------------------------------||
C||--12--14--16------------------------------------------------------------||

Same in open C, with 4 3 4 3 4 3... (and 15 17 19 on the out of place E string^^)
E||--------------------------------------------------------------------------||
C||----------------------------------------------------------12--14--16--17--||
G||----------------------------------------------12--14--16------------------||
C||------------------------------12--14--16--17------------------------------||
G||------------------12--14--16----------------------------------------------||
C||--12--14--16--17----------------------------------------------------------||

Same in open C, but 3 4 3 4
E||----------------------------------------------------------------------13--||
C||----------------------------------------------------------12--14--16------||
G||------------------------------------------10--12--14--16------------------||
C||------------------------------12--14--16----------------------------------||
G||--------------10--12--14--16----------------------------------------------||
C||--12--14--16--------------------------------------------------------------||

This tuning is great for 4 note per string patterns. If you do strict 4 note per string exercises it really improves finger independence and is even quite practical in standard tuning.

E--------------------------------------------------------------------------19-20-22-24
C------------------------------------------------------------16-17-19-21--------
G---------------------------------------------14-16-17-19-----------------------
C-------------------------------14-16-17-19-------------------------------------
G----------------12-14-16-17-----------------------------------------------------
C-12-14-16-17--------------------------------------------------------------------

using the scales this way also gets a lot of range.

#17382 by -THe-Billy-
Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:23 pm
danra wrote:with my size hands i can barely reach 4 frets on most of the fretboard let alone 6.

i hate my hands.

I don't have long fingers myself, just patience!