Post HevyDevy fan art, covers, mashups, guitar tabs, etc here

#17916 by Dustdevil
Sat May 01, 2004 4:57 pm
.......tough..... this stuff kills me...
where are those Dev tabs, so we can check this tuning out! :D

#18118 by Amaran
Sun May 02, 2004 12:40 pm
Yeah, I hope we'll get them in the near future. Since I'm going to start learning to play guitar, I'll use this tuning from the start :) :) ...I guess that's easier than trying to "forget" all the habits that one developed while using standard EADGBE...

#18132 by Falk
Sun May 02, 2004 2:02 pm
Mmh I'm far from being an experienced guitar player, but I wonder if this is a good idea.
Well I can't advise anything, I would just ask to as much guitarist as possible what they think about that.
There's already many debate about starting with acoustic/electric guitar, playing strictly alternate/ economic, so... Well, just my 2 cents^^

#18135 by Sinkharmony
Sun May 02, 2004 2:19 pm
I don't see any problem with it. If you plan on being a songwriter than jump with both feet into the open C pond.

The most important part is that you start playing as soon as you can. Then play as much as you can.

#18174 by ibanez
Sun May 02, 2004 3:33 pm
open C is a fantastic tuning, it really is as flexible as standard E, its not jumping on anyones coat tails and if it sounds like Devy then who gives a flying fuck!!

This "being original" bullshit is just that, bullshit! The greatest composers who ever lived learned from other great composers, you can only learn from the best and in my opinion thats the best way to learn.... just learn riffs and change some notes here and there, maybe a different rythm, tempo, whatever make something sound totally different from an already thought of riff. I am sure most of the geratest composers did just that.

I have been reading a lot about learning to play guitar, its amazing what shite people blab which really is irrelavent to actually learning to play guitar (not saying anyone here blabs it)

Figure out what you are good at then develop that skill, its highly unlikely that you will be great at all styles and skills, its not a competition of who is better than thou, its not a case of being original its purely about music and expressing what you want to express, if the skills you already have are not enough so you can easily express yourself using a guitar, then learn what you must to be able to express yourself! If what you know is enough then develop those skills so you are playing without thinking "what next".

but who am I to talk, I am struggling at the moment with trying to express myself, I thought it was lack of creativity but later learned that its not the creative thing that holds me back but the skill level I am at. So I am practicing damn hard everyday in order to pick up that guitar and play without giving much thought into what it is that I am trying to express.

I suppose its like a language, like every language, if you only small talk then a small vocab is all that is needed but wanna go deeper then you gotta build on that vocab so you can effortlessly express what you wanna say.

In open C the chords sound just wierd and wonderful, very nice sound, I love it. The patters seem very symetrical and soloing actually isnt that difficult once you get the patterns and positions figured out (which I am trying at the moment). Its a very logical tuning.

as for learning on acoustic, dude buy a good Classical guitar and an electric. I found that while learning on classical (which I havnt played for beards) I developed great strecthing technique and a good way to sit while playing guitar, not to mention it really improves your chops. But it doesnt really matter if you learn on steel string acoustic or electric, they both have different techniques to play... you dont play a steel string the same way as you play an electric so your gonna have to learn the "way" you play an electric even if you played steel string. Obviously it will be easier but it is different.

???

#18296 by -THe-Billy-
Mon May 03, 2004 8:29 am
ibanez wrote:
???

Hehe, no worries bro, that was expressed very well. :)

#20012 by Amaran
Sat May 08, 2004 6:40 am
StrappingYoungLad wrote:i promise ill post all the scales hes showed very soon...:) keeop an eye out or PM me..
*bump* :)
#20379 by HappyCamper
Sun May 09, 2004 9:03 pm
i started playing in 1996, got into the whole "wow dropped d is cool" crap but then found a tea party song in open c in like 1998 and since then have only used open c and open b. i have adopted open b because i'm just a fan of tuning down to b for metal.it's a rad tuning, i don't think i will stray too far from it in the near future. also, yeah, you don't need lessons to get good, i have never had a lesson and i get decent reviews of my skill. i think also having a really good ear for detail helps, i mean, i have worked out how to play about 90% of City, SYL, Terria, Infinity and Accelerated and about 50% of Heavy as a Really Heavy Thing without ever seeing a tab for any of the songs. I dont mean to sound like i'm tootin my own horn or anything, just illustrating that you don't NEED professional lessons to become professional. But yeah, open tuning is fucking cool once you get really used to it, as i said i've been using it for years, before i even knew of Devin so if i'm ripping anyone off i guess it ain't him. by the way, this be my first post so hi every one. --the happy camper from queensland.

#21753 by Greg Reason
Wed May 12, 2004 10:08 pm
Hmm, I wrote an original in CGCGCE for the Devy Flood CD, it took me a whole five minutes to write the five minute song ;o) You just tune her up and it's instant Devy! Pretty tuning... Only thing is, my song is a little tricky to play because essentially the tuning is a C major chord and my song is in C minor, but hey.... It's all part of the fun.

#39926 by Jigsore
Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:44 pm
CGCGCE is definetly a great tuning. I can't wait for August 14th. Hopefully i'll be able to pick up some of his tricks...Well, at least a riff or two hopefully (I gotta figure out the run in Truth!). After listening to SYL and Devin's solo material, I've decided to use a slight variant of his tuning on my main guitar: CGCGCD. The cool thing about it is you get a sus2 chord (my fav) just strumming open, and you can also play an open minor as well as the CGCGCE major. It is a very interesting tuning (i love the droning sound it produces!), and as we all wait for StrappingYoungLad to show us those scales he has, I've stumbled upon something that may prove useful to us. It's a scale/mode/chord generator. You select the root note, the tuning (you can submit your own, but CGCGCE is already in there), the scale or mode or chord (you can also use the user-defined ones as well as submit your own), and it outputs a fretboard with 23 frets showing all the notes and the intervals (i think that's what they're called?). They're color coded even! It's helped me figure out the scales i want to know.

Check it out here: http://www.power-chord.com/gaff/mapper/

#39937 by Kinski
Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:53 pm
Open string tunings in general are quite cool. I've written a few things and arrangements in CGCGCE and DADGAD.

-Alec

#39949 by Amaran
Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:03 pm
Hey, Jigsore, the link you posted is the best thing ever! :)

Thanks a lot!!

#48584 by Archetype
Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:37 am
Open C tuning is guitar playing made easier I think. Chords are easier to play, and all the alterations are easier to add.
It becomes a little frustrating for me sometimes, because I study guitar at the Amsterdam School of Pop-music, where I (most of the times) take my guitar with me with standard E-tuning, and learn all the scales, chords and combinations. But then back home, I also want to learn it on the Open C tuning, so I'll have to convert to that tuning again.
As a fun note, if you like 'alternative' playing, just play standard E tuning scales and chord positions on the open C tuning. You get awesome sounds, and 'original' sounding stuff.

#48819 by -THe-Billy-
Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:53 pm
Archetype wrote:Open C tuning is guitar playing made easier I think. Chords are easier to play, and all the alterations are easier to add.
It becomes a little frustrating for me sometimes, because I study guitar at the Amsterdam School of Pop-music, where I (most of the times) take my guitar with me with standard E-tuning, and learn all the scales, chords and combinations. But then back home, I also want to learn it on the Open C tuning, so I'll have to convert to that tuning again.
As a fun note, if you like 'alternative' playing, just play standard E tuning scales and chord positions on the open C tuning. You get awesome sounds, and 'original' sounding stuff.

I'll have to disagree with the "guitar playing made easier" statement.

Once you get into trying out chords beyond the majors and minors its just as technical and for leads there's a lot of jumping around on the fretboard. 4 note per string stretches are very useful in this tuning and that in itself requires a great demand of finger independence. When using the arpeggios and sweep picking in this tuning there is a lot of finger rolling which is also a very detailed technique that can easily be misplayed. Just my 2 cents, but the tuning is not easier in my opinion, just different.

#48875 by Archetype
Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:24 pm
That's what I meant the alterations like, flat 5's, 9's, etc. I think it's easier to add on open C tuning. But anyhow, you're right the appregio's and sweeping is more difficult in open C, but I wouldn't really understand why you would want to do that in open C tuning anyway. I mean open C is a great tuning, don't get me wrong, but for some things iit's not quite useable.