Post HevyDevy fan art, covers, mashups, guitar tabs, etc here
#278866 by DylanHunter
Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:50 pm
ok im a vocalist/guitarist
i can sing opera and i can scream things like syl
but ive been trying to figure out from watching live performances
HOW DOES DEVIN NOT LOSE HIS VOICE DOING BOTH IN ONE SONG??
its amazing i have not seen one performance where he loses the tiniest section of his voice
HOWWWW? :shock:
#281116 by Cg138
Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:44 am
A fuck ton of practice. If you've heard some of the earlier live recordings, you'll discover quite quickly that it hasn't always been that way. I don't know where everyone else stands on this, but I find the Official Bootleg album to be cringe-worthy at times.
#281615 by coreysMonster
Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:29 am
Cg138 wrote:A fuck ton of practice. If you've heard some of the earlier live recordings, you'll discover quite quickly that it hasn't always been that way. I don't know where everyone else stands on this, but I find the Official Bootleg album to be cringe-worthy at times.

Agreed.

It's just one of those things where you get better the more you practice, but the amount you need to practice to get to Devin's level is incredible.
#281629 by swervedriver
Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:18 am
Sobering up probably worked wonders as well.
#282201 by Feather
Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:58 pm
The thing is if you're using bad technique and creating bad habits then you'll be damaging your voice and probably only get worse. So when doing risky vocals like screaming it's important to have a good vocal coach (still doesn't completely protect you from the damage of harsh singing).

I think I ready Devin saying he takes/took singing lessons. Anybody know with whom?
#282479 by Tall-Latte
Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:58 pm
ppinkham wrote: and that's just the way he was made.

defying doctors across the globe... perhaps for mine it was , left a few sandwiches outta the lunchbox.. but still a tasty snack
#284134 by Octo
Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:16 am
It's a combination of two things.

A: He can sing properly.
B: He can scream properly.

It's that simple.

Regardless of your vocal stylings, as long as you have good technique you won't ever damage your voice.

There is just as much chance to wreck your vocal chords while singing with a bad technique as there is when screaming with a bad technique.

You could spend a infinite fuck ton of time practising, but if you are also practising with bad technique you will never get good and will also possibly hurt yourself.
#284167 by mrbean667
Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:50 pm
Octo wrote:It's a combination of two things.

A: He can sing properly.
B: He can scream properly.

It's that simple.

Regardless of your vocal stylings, as long as you have good technique you won't ever damage your voice.

There is just as much chance to wreck your vocal chords while singing with a bad technique as there is when screaming with a bad technique.

You could spend a infinite fuck ton of time practising, but if you are also practising with bad technique you will never get good and will also possibly hurt yourself.

That's true. The important bit is not the practising part, it's the practising properly that counts. Lots of people fuck up their voices because they might know how to scream and sound good, but they try that for a few songs and by the end they sound like an old woman.