Post HevyDevy fan art, covers, mashups, guitar tabs, etc here
#285896 by Manwards
Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:25 am
I honestly wouldn't mind hearing "Ih-Ah!" or, say, "Sunshine and Happiness" on the radio every now and then. A little more exposure would give Dev more money and therefore more freedom to do the projects he wants. I think Epicloud will be his best shot at a larger audience, and hey, that's fine. As long as he keeps writing songs for himself, and not for a demographic, but I just can't see that.
#286361 by Slatewoman
Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:24 am
ha. i just lured my best friend into SYL by playing him 'skin me'. i was under the impression that he vetoed dev altogether because he disliked his voice, but i guess he just disliked what i played him from ocean machine. makes sense though. he's really into weird, abrasive stuff in general.
#286436 by ppinkham
Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:38 pm
My wife, who mainly is a top 40 type of music listener, didn't really like all that much from Dev at first. The first song she dig become attached to was SYL's "Wrong Side," which fucked with my head for a while. I would have never imagined she would like anything from SYL. Ever.
#288534 by quakegod667
Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:51 pm
Welcome to my world. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one in my high school who likes Devin's various works, while everyone else is listening to their flavor-of-the-month pop/rap/dubstep songs (if applicable). I've tried to introduce some of my friends to DTB with Accelerated Evolution, but they're all like "THIS IS GAY AND IT SUCKS", even when I tried introducing them to some Deconstruction stuff. I can respect that people have different tastes, but it's really aggravating being the only one who enjoys music for being good (in my eyes) and having substance rather than for the sake of popularity. It's lonely being a DT fan, but so worth it.
#288612 by Estbarul
Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:45 pm
I have some friends who do listen to Dev stuff, but yeah, the "general population" should be more aware of his work... I don't think it's gonna change that much in the future, we'll still be saying like "yeah, dev is such an underrated artist...", because not many people have acces or get to know his music, I'm sure that, with the right approach to the public he'll get a lot of fans.
#288800 by Odysseas
Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:33 am
Yeah, sometimes life can be wierd. My gf really liked Ghost and some other stuff like Ih-Ah, Trainfire, quiet Riot etc... but everytime she listens to Kingdom she's like 'I really LOVE this song, it just gets me every time!' My mum loved Demon League.
But there's something that needs be said. Most of Dev's stuff is quite inaccessible to most poeple due to its complex structure, massive production and the wall of sound multi-layered thing. It's easier for a long-time metalhead to understand these because our ears are used to it.
#289219 by Slatewoman
Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:20 pm
Odysseas wrote:Most of Dev's stuff is quite inaccessible to most poeple due to its complex structure, massive production and the wall of sound multi-layered thing.

that's so weird to me. i guess the complexity is somewhat understandable, but the huge wall of sound business is what i've always valued ever since i first started getting into music. it seems like lush production and layers would be universally appealing. it's like a candy store for the brain, maaaaan.
i mean that generally. dev is certainly not for for everyone, but the musical qualities themselves are just... so.... juicy. i have a friend who once told me that all the prog stuff i listen to has too much going on and that it takes too much energy to listen to. he's no idiot though. he's a fairly accomplished musician and is growing quickly as a producer. i assume he would understand that unless you''re trying to learn the song, you take a passive role as a listener and let the music present itself instead of chasing it down. maybe this friend is particular is just too wrapped up in the technical side to be passive. whatever, yo.
#289220 by DevinJayLeibe
Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:46 pm
I introduced Dev to three friends, who all went on to absolutely love it. They each had different tastes but, come on, it's Dev. He's now among their favourite artists, and they've been to gigs. :D MORE CONVERTS! MORE!

One band that never fails to impress when I introduce them to people is Ulver though, I've pointed many peoples to their music... Dev I save for the best of folks though. Like my finest wine. Muahaha.
#296945 by Jamvanman
Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:02 am
I am the only one I know who likes Devin / Strapping.
Went to his show by myself when he was here - didn't say a word to anyone all night.
Doesn't bother me at all. Was a fantastic concert, loved it!
#296974 by Octillus
Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:16 am
Jamvanman wrote:I am the only one I know who likes Devin / Strapping.
Went to his show by myself when he was here - didn't say a word to anyone all night.
Doesn't bother me at all. Was a fantastic concert, loved it!

Are you old enough to buy beer? Have a beer with a guy also having a beer. This is how I survive gigs, since most of my friends aren't into the same things I'm into.
#297023 by Bookwyrm83
Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:11 am
...did he say beer?

If the bar has the option of free water, and if you find yourself getting to the jug just before someone else, pour that person water as a courtesy, throw in a bit of small talk, and there you have it. Works for me.
#297085 by Jamvanman
Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:19 pm
Octillus wrote:Are you old enough to buy beer? ...

Ha ha...yeah I'm 42! Just quite content being by myself (apart from being married with two kids), but perhaps you're right I should remember ... Beer!
#297948 by NamasteLikeBender
Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:48 pm
I've been able to introduce some people who already listen to metal to Devin Townsend, but not people who listen to poppy crap all the time. If I have a chance at converting people to Devin, though, it will probably be trying to play Ghost to some hipsters. Or pretty much anyone.
#300843 by ChaosD.
Fri May 04, 2012 2:35 pm
I kinda spread the word around about him when I got into his music and now theres a pretty healthy Devy subculture going on around me. They all only dig his solo stuff though, SYL is just a bit too extreme for them.