Post HevyDevy fan art, covers, mashups, guitar tabs, etc here
#285677 by Slatewoman
Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:22 pm
am i the only one who is SO RONREY because none of my friends listen to dev or SYL?
the best reaction i can get out of people i know know in real life is "yeah, he's got talent", the worst being "LOL FAGGOT SHIT".

it's not a big deal, but musical compatibility is really important to me and it gets annoying when nobody i know likes what i spend the majority of my time listening to.
#285685 by Octillus
Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:24 pm
Nope, definitely my world. There's one person in my life who does like Dev a lot, but that's a long and complicated answer and for almost always I have to justify listening to him, it sucks.
#285692 by JuZ
Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:16 pm
Yeah not much 'round these parts neither, partner.
#285718 by ppinkham
Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:37 am
Nobody I know outside of my little family likes Devin. My son likes Devin's heavy stuff, my wife likes Devin's lighter stuff, but my friends, co-workers, and the rest of my family just don't get it. They like their music simple. Well, my brother Bobby could probably be converted. He's always had somewhat diverse musical tastes, leaning more toward heavy music. The problem with him is trying to get him to listen to something new. He rarely listens to suggestions. He just likes to discover things for himself. Elitist prick.
#285732 by Bookwyrm83
Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:14 am
When it comes to friends, et al, I can count on one hand how many are actually into Dev's music, and not just listen to it once and say, "Yeah, not bad." My girlfriend likes some of his stuff, generally the non-SYL material.
#285741 by Faffy
Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:25 am
The majority of my friends at home (in Norway) listen to Madonna, Tori Amos, popular music, some pop-rock and some elctronic music... sooooo not much Devness there really. One of them likes Dev though, and joined me to the gig in Oslo even. :D But she got into Dev's music through her boyfriend... because none of my friends have much faith in my taste in music. xD
#285744 by JuZ
Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:04 am
Madonna...

Erk.

#faints#
#285816 by Lettuce
Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:55 am
A good chuck of my friends listen to Dev, but I didn't know most of them when I first got into him. I was 16, and the girls in school who DID claim to listen to metal only did it on the basis that the band members were fit. Why they were scared of Dev beats me...

But yeah, there's loads of bands I like that my friends don't like :P It looks like I'm gonna be seeing Earthtone9 on my todd in December, but NEVERMIIIIND!
#285840 by Manwards
Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:11 pm
I'm quite lucky in that regard. A friend at work and my cousin, who don't know each other, both introduced me to Devy at pretty much the same time with the same album (Synchestra). Now several of my friends are big fans too, and my girlfriend (who I met right after seeing Devy live at Bloodstock 2010) loves him! But I agree, it's still frustrating to have 95% of people at work dismiss him. How someone can listen to Deep Peace all the way through and then say "I guess it's an acquired taste" with a straight face, I don't know.
#285846 by ppinkham
Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:52 pm
Billy Rhomboid wrote:Just think how ordinary you would feel if Dev was as popular as Madonna.

It would be interesting to see what would happen around here if Devin suddenly became "popular." Song gets on a huge movie soundtrack or something and "BOOM!" I wonder how many people would start the whole "Devin sold out!" thing and start talking shit because he wasn't their own, personal little secret anymore?
#285866 by mrbean667
Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:29 pm
The only other people who like Dev are my brother (who likes the 'funny' Dev) and my mum (who likes the 'nice' Dev).

And regarding if Dev became 'popular': If he made an album of songs like Ih-Ah!, I would kill myself. I'm annoying like that.
#285878 by Slatewoman
Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:05 am
mrbean667 wrote:And regarding if Dev became 'popular': If he made an album of songs like Ih-Ah!, I would kill myself. I'm annoying like that.

ditto.

i don't mind that he's not very popular, but it just seems weird that none of my friends like him, even though we have otherwise similar taste.