Post HevyDevy fan art, covers, mashups, guitar tabs, etc here
#292150 by Falk
Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:42 pm
Slatewoman wrote:http://www.soundlift.com/band/music.php?id=101825

can't seem to find any audio from the correct project.there's another tidal on soundcloud and bandcamp that does some rather nice ambient stuff, but i doubt it's the same.

There are samples on LastFm http://www.lastfm.fr/music/Tidal/Tidal+EP (Ok, his forum name is Danra and it dates back to 2004, wow, time's flying by). I don't mind uploading the full songs, but it's not my stuff and I don't know if they were purposely removed from the soundlift page or just lost along the way for no particular reason.
#292177 by Slatewoman
Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:11 pm
this is turning out to be a pretty interesting discussion, picking the album apart and looking at individual elements that make it what it is.

yeah, i hear what you mean about tidal. i hear it in the drums (especially on when oceans switch, which is basically a huge rip off of "earth day", actually) and the super reverby massive, open space guitar sound. i'll see if i can turn it up on soulseek. thanks for turning those samples up.
#292265 by Biert
Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:17 am
For all the noobs (noob = people who haven't been here more than 5 years :P)

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6081

That Tidal song, When Oceans Switch, is on it as well, although it's been credited as Danra (I think that was his forum name at the time).
#293132 by A-Daamage
Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:05 am
The answer: nothing. Nothing at all. And that's what makes it the greatest album ever created. There are melodies and harmonies flying all over Ocean Machine that I have never heard anywhere else. The production, lyrics, songwriting, vocals, everything; it's all such a divine blend. It is the only album for which I have ever given a perfect 10 out of 10.

However, if you want to turn people on to unique albums that defy usual conventions, try:
  • October Rust - Type O Negative
  • My Arms, Your Hearse - Opeth
  • Extension of the Wish - Andromeda (look for the original recording with Lawrence on vocals; the re-release absolutely butchered the production)
  • Mabool: The Story of the Three Sons of Seven - Orphaned Land
  • Holographic Universe - Scar Symmetry
  • The Sham Mirrors - Arcturus
  • Mechanical Spin Phenomena - Mnemic

Those should get you started.
#293133 by A-Daamage
Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:23 am
Also, I just had to add: the most obviously Ocean Machine-inspired section of a song I have ever heard begins at the 2:37 mark, and then repeats again a bit later, at 3:04:

[youtube]XoDEVq1Q_BU[/youtube]
#293136 by Slatewoman
Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:18 am
alright. over the last couple days i've compiled my own personal master list of OM-like albums. i don't really want to go into detail for them because that will take days of solid writing.
i'm a little surprised at the albums i chose and at the bands that didn't make the list at all. cop shoot cop, the god machine, tool, nick cave, tom waits... didn't make it.
all these albums have "that special something". which is a bit of a generalization because there's a variety of stuff on here and there are many kinds of special somethings. but these stand out majorly.

devin townsend - ocean machine
filter - title of record
the beautiful - storybook
marillion - radiation
isis - oceanic
the golden palominos - drunk with passion
porcupine tree - stupid dream
type o negative - october rust
swans - the great annihilator
anathema - a fine day to exit
catherine wheel - chrome (another oceany album, at least in my experience)
talk talk - spirit of eden
spiritualized - ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space
peter gabriel - us
faith no more - angel dust
mansun - six
nine inch nails - the fragile (really tough call between it and downward spiral...)
oingo boingo - dark at the end of the tunnel
woven hand - blush music
neurosis - through silver in blood
#293182 by djskrimp
Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:22 pm
Slatewoman wrote:alright. over the last couple days i've compiled my own personal master list of OM-like albums. i don't really want to go into detail for them because that will take days of solid writing.
i'm a little surprised at the albums i chose and at the bands that didn't make the list at all. cop shoot cop, the god machine, tool, nick cave, tom waits... didn't make it.
all these albums have "that special something". which is a bit of a generalization because there's a variety of stuff on here and there are many kinds of special somethings. but these stand out majorly.

devin townsend - ocean machine
filter - title of record
the beautiful - storybook
marillion - radiation
isis - oceanic
the golden palominos - drunk with passion
porcupine tree - stupid dream
type o negative - october rust
swans - the great annihilator
anathema - a fine day to exit
catherine wheel - chrome (another oceany album, at least in my experience)
talk talk - spirit of eden
spiritualized - ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space
peter gabriel - us
faith no more - angel dust
mansun - six
nine inch nails - the fragile (really tough call between it and downward spiral...)
oingo boingo - dark at the end of the tunnel
woven hand - blush music
neurosis - through silver in blood

That would be the absolute tits to put on shuffle mode.
#293309 by CutManMetal
Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:10 pm
Okaaaay, this is going to look like shameless self-promotion, but I'm sincere in saying that I've always felt this was
my Ocean Machine song.

http://arresteddecay.bandcamp.com/track/flood

I listen to my own song and am pleased I recreated a LITTLE of how Ocean Machine feels for me, so maybe I can share that some.
#293314 by Slatewoman
Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:49 pm
A-Daamage wrote:Also, I just had to add: the most obviously Ocean Machine-inspired section of a song I have ever heard begins at the 2:37 mark, and then repeats again a bit later, at 3:04:

wooooaaaahhhhhh. mind blown.
#294367 by A-Daamage
Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:19 pm
Slatewoman wrote:
A-Daamage wrote:Also, I just had to add: the most obviously Ocean Machine-inspired section of a song I have ever heard begins at the 2:37 mark, and then repeats again a bit later, at 3:04:

wooooaaaahhhhhh. mind blown.

Right? The first time I listened to that song, I did an actual double-take. I'm willing to bet Carlos del Olmo Holmberg is responsible for those sections, as he's stated Ocean Machine's influence on him in the past.
#296228 by P1
Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:40 am
I would second Filter's 'Title Of Record'. Although it was on the more commercial side of things, it was an epic album and I gave it plenty of listens back in it's day.