Post HevyDevy fan art, covers, mashups, guitar tabs, etc here
#297571 by badmotor
Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:37 pm
Couldn't find if this has been answered elsewhere so here goes.

Does anyone know what gauge strings for Open C tuning on acoustic guitar that Dev uses? I'm writing music in the same tuning, and use 12-53 D'Addarios... it feels about right on the top end, but is a little floppy I think on the bottom strings. I'm not sure if there is a good standard gauge for this tuning. :troubles:
#297582 by C_Lydian
Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:55 pm
What I've discovered with string gauges is that the low E is too floppy even for standard tuning. If you look at a pack of D'Addarios, they print the tensions. There's a huge drop in tension on the bottom string for no apparent reason. I would get a huge string, like a .60 gauge for open C tuning. I don't know what strings Devin uses on acoustic, but if he uses 12-53, it's pretty miraculous if he gets a solid sound out of the bottom string.

This might do the trick for you: http://www.juststrings.com/dad-pb060.html

Also, check out something called Zachary Optimum Gauge strings. The website is crazy, but the guy who runs it is actually pretty cool and his strings categorically rape everything I've tried. I use his 12 gauge set for acoustic, and the low string, which is probably in the .56/.57 range, gives me just enough leverage for open C.
#297585 by badmotor
Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:56 pm
Cool, thanks there is some interesting reading there. Even if a little crazy.
#297771 by Abydost
Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:38 pm
When I played Open C I usually preferred a 10-52 set, I sometimes play it now with my normal 10-46 set, but the low C is a biiiit floppy. Not too much for me though, I like loose strings. It depends abit on what your guitar is as well. Remember, Open C is a dropped tuning, sort of. The high E is standard, then the high C which is a half step higher, then suddenly you're in drop C with the three lowest strings, so you have to compensate, especially with the 6th. Get a single string, won't do any harm. Unless you can actually hear it fuck the intonation.
#299590 by Tang
Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:30 pm
C_Lydian wrote:Also, check out something called Zachary Optimum Gauge strings. The website is crazy, but the guy who runs it is actually pretty cool and his strings categorically rape everything I've tried. I use his 12 gauge set for acoustic, and the low string, which is probably in the .56/.57 range, gives me just enough leverage for open C.

Zachary is certifiably insane, imo.
#299718 by swervedriver
Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:36 am
Tang wrote:
C_Lydian wrote:Also, check out something called Zachary Optimum Gauge strings. The website is crazy, but the guy who runs it is actually pretty cool and his strings categorically rape everything I've tried. I use his 12 gauge set for acoustic, and the low string, which is probably in the .56/.57 range, gives me just enough leverage for open C.

Zachary is certifiably insane, imo.

Been looking at his website. His reasoning sounds fine, but does it work in practice? I'm thinking of trying some sets out, but I'd rather not spend 50 dollars on strings and shipping to find out that it's shit. Also, he rants on coated strings ("putting condoms on strings"), but my elixir sets have a significantly increased lifetime over my previous d'Addario sets. In fact, it is not the loss of tone that is dictating my need to change strings, but rather the loss in tension (more 'floppy' feel). I really like this (proven!) quality and would hate to go back to changing strings every 4 months. So if anyone has any insight on the durability of these ZOG sets, please share.

Otherwise I could email the guy, but I'm afraid he'll just call me an idiot 20 times for suggesting there's a benefit to coated guitar strings.
#299775 by C_Lydian
Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:40 pm
They totally work in practice. In fact, I wouldn't even consider using anything else. I found his website because the sound on my 5 string bass wouldn't balance. When I threw the ZOG strings on, I felt like I was playing a fully functional instrument for the first time. Much more balanced feel and tone plus the low B is actually usable!

If you have a setup that you're happy with, stick with it. But I recommend them to everyone who asks about strings because, to me, they categorically demolish everything else on the market. I've tried everything- D'Addario, Ernie Ball, Dean Markley, Dunlop, Elixir, GHS, John Pearse, a variety of custom string gauges- nothing even comes close to ZOG. His international shipping is $10, and the actual strings are about $5 a pack. They're definitely cheaper than Elixirs and other strings that rely on a fancy coating or alloy.

Regarding the durability, they last forever. I change them every 3 months on guitar and every 8 months on bass, despite playing constantly. Part of this has to do with the fact that I clean my strings and don't have acidic sweat. but they definitely have a long life.

If you're worried about how he would react to your opinions, just don't even mention them. The first time I got in touch with him (I was nervous too), I just placed my order, didn't say anything else, and everything went smoothly.
#299780 by swervedriver
Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:50 am
Well, my Elixirs are beginning to become floppy after being on there for over a year, but haven't lost a great deal of clarity from their tone. Although, I guess there's a bit of an advantage to having to change strings a bit more often, as in I clean the fretboard every time I change them. Not having done that in a year is starting to be a little too long for that. And you're right, Elixirs come at the price of about 2 sets of ZOGs, so not a lot to lose there. I think I'll give them a try, thanks for the input. I'll post back here with my experiences. :)
#299904 by snout
Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:38 am
d'addario 13-63's ;)
#300659 by swervedriver
Wed May 02, 2012 3:36 pm
Coming back to the ZOG thing. I emailed back and forth with the guy and now he doesn't want to sell them to me because he thinks I am a total idiot.

That's nice.
#300669 by Octillus
Wed May 02, 2012 8:16 pm
swervedriver wrote:Coming back to the ZOG thing. I emailed back and forth with the guy and now he doesn't want to sell them to me because he thinks I am a total idiot.

That's nice.

LOL. You so didn't follow directions did you? I wish I made a bet on this.
#300678 by swervedriver
Thu May 03, 2012 1:17 am
When I find time later today I will put the emails on here. It's rather entertaining. Also, I think I'm back in with him. I don't even know what's going on anymore.

-edit: haven't emailed him back yet, but I'm done with him. Did a little research, figured out how it works and put everything in a spreadsheet, which easily allows me to calculate and cross-reference whatever gauges I need to order for which guitar in which tuning. This saves me from further verbal abuse except my own, and allows me to verify the concept one guitar at a time (instead of having to order >10 sets to counter his shipping costs). And with some luck I'll be able to keep playing with Elixirs as well, thus combining tone, durability and balanced tension.
#301153 by C_Lydian
Tue May 08, 2012 3:40 pm
Well that sucks. Hope you find the gauges you need. I'd be curious to see the emails. He probably had some reason for flipping out at you, which is not to imply that you're an idiot. If you express any kind of skepticism towards ZOG, he won't sell to you. That's his extreme sensitivity. I've told him repeatedly that he'd win over more customers if he was more lenient. He's actually going to try and contact Devin now. This is NOT at my behest. He found out about Devin's tuning and felt compelled to contact him. He's also going to try and contact Tosin Abasi LOL. He's a character, but I appreciate him immensely. I own one of his guitars too, and it's the best guitar I've ever played.