Post HevyDevy fan art, covers, mashups, guitar tabs, etc here
#300909 by wyldweasil
Sat May 05, 2012 10:22 am
Scooped this up yesterday sadly at GC because nobody else in my area had them in stock. I feel bad about not supporting local shops, but didn't feel like waiting around for things to ship (plus my local UPS guy sucks)

The thing sounds good, however I have a lot of tweaking to do. I tried a variance of the Machine Head settings for the 5150, it sounds good but isn't quite where I want it. I'll probably be getting a Maxon or Ibby Tube screamer in the next few months

I heard about putting a patch cable in the loop to change up the sound, anyone else try this?

here's some clips I recorded with it today (bear in mind I've never been good with mic placement):
http://soundcloud.com/chris-taylor-50/newjam1

http://soundcloud.com/chris-taylor-50/6505testclip
#301225 by Teej
Wed May 09, 2012 7:47 am
My buddy has one of the original 5150 2x12 combos, and I can tell you that it is one of the heaviest combos ever made, right up there with the Fender SuperReverb. So I am glad that they decided to make a 1x12 version of it, because the 2x12 is straight-up not portable. Another thing about the 5150/6505 circuit is that the wattage ratings are incredibly deceiving. They are ridiculously loud, and really don't sound like you'd expect until you get to "practice with drums" level, at least. I just recently bought a used XXX 2x12 combo, myself. It is rated at 100 watts, and my buddy's 5150 kicks the crap out of it volume wise, and its only rated at 50.

I know that on my XXX, having the loop on or off makes a big difference. It sounds much more "alive" when its on. I'd say give the patch cable a shot, they don't cost much after all.

I would definitely recommend the Way Huge Green Rhino overdrive. I got one as a replacement for a TS-808 and its fantastic. It has a low end boost/cut knob that essentially takes away the one downside of the Tube Screamer, which is lack of lows. It also has a mid spike adjustment as well, which allows you to lessen that Tube Screamer "honk" if you need to. Way more versatile than any of the other ODs I've owned, and I've had a TS-808, Jekyll OD, and a BK Butler Real Tube (early 90s black and yellow one). It also can get far louder than any of those, minus the BK Butler.

Already dig the sounds you're getting though, super chuggy and thick. A bit of OD mid boost would make it killer.
#301472 by wyldweasil
Sat May 12, 2012 6:57 am
I wouldn't say this is portable either. I had a Marshall AVT50 combo that was far smaller than this, and lighter. I look at the handle on this and am all like "are you serious?" Carrying this thing up the stairs was quite a chore, one which I hope to never do again, however, I'll probably be dumb and start a new band...then here we go again.

[youtube]BzweTUGCh6k[/youtube]
#303839 by MikeHock
Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:41 am
wyldweasil wrote:I wouldn't say this is portable either. I had a Marshall AVT50 combo that was far smaller than this, and lighter. I look at the handle on this and am all like "are you serious?" Carrying this thing up the stairs was quite a chore, one which I hope to never do again, however, I'll probably be dumb and start a new band...then here we go again.

Yeah, it's a pain in the balls to carry up stairs. Of course at the jam space there's a huge fucking staircase. :x :lol:
#304754 by wyldweasil
Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:39 pm
MikeHock wrote:
wyldweasil wrote:I wouldn't say this is portable either. I had a Marshall AVT50 combo that was far smaller than this, and lighter. I look at the handle on this and am all like "are you serious?" Carrying this thing up the stairs was quite a chore, one which I hope to never do again, however, I'll probably be dumb and start a new band...then here we go again.

Yeah, it's a pain in the balls to carry up stairs. Of course at the jam space there's a huge fucking staircase. :x :lol:

oh yeah, I noticed you're from OC, NY, I'm originally from New Windsor NY!
#304756 by MikeHock
Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:41 pm
wyldweasil wrote:
MikeHock wrote:

oh yeah, I noticed you're from OC, NY, I'm originally from New Windsor NY!

Small world, eh? I'm from Wallkill.
#305104 by wyldweasil
Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:49 pm
atrex wrote:Got this combo amp too and i'm quite happy with it !

[youtube]Qx0WwQWSMFI[/youtube]

that's killer, I noticed it's become a mainstay on the guitar forum I also post on. It's great because you can scoop these up for 350-400 used, or brand new for $600. For a quality professional tube amp, you aren't going to get better bang for your buck
#305116 by MikeHock
Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:27 pm
wyldweasil wrote:that's killer, I noticed it's become a mainstay on the guitar forum I also post on. It's great because you can scoop these up for 350-400 used, or brand new for $600. For a quality professional tube amp, you aren't going to get better bang for your buck

Agreed! I was trying to convince my buddy to snatch one up (with new tubes and a new speaker!) for $350 shipped!...He bought a Dean Dime amp. :lol:
#305250 by wyldweasil
Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:05 pm
MikeHock wrote:
wyldweasil wrote:that's killer, I noticed it's become a mainstay on the guitar forum I also post on. It's great because you can scoop these up for 350-400 used, or brand new for $600. For a quality professional tube amp, you aren't going to get better bang for your buck

Agreed! I was trying to convince my buddy to snatch one up (with new tubes and a new speaker!) for $350 shipped!...He bought a Dean Dime amp. :lol:

*facepalms*
#306027 by Teej
Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:47 pm
MikeHock wrote:

Haha, I see those Dime amps at the local stores, and they can't give them away. :lol:
#306094 by Teej
Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:44 am
wyldweasil wrote:I appreciate the idea behind the dime amps, but wouldn't it just be better to buy a Randall RG100 and just get an EQ?

Yes, it would be. Better build quality, and more authentic sound for sure.