Post HevyDevy fan art, covers, mashups, guitar tabs, etc here

Have you heard of Steve Morse?

39%
39%
11%
11%

#28160 by FinnAtLondon
Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:50 am
Old Metallica is cool. But they have totally lost the plot by now. I would say Hammet's solos are "Uninspired johnny b goode riffs, boring dorian pull-offs with some poor legato technique".

#28161 by StrappingYoungLad
Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:51 am
If a guitairst hasn't heard of Steve Morse...they are lying when they call themselves 'guitarists'

CHRIS ;)

#28162 by Guest
Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:52 am
yes ... that's true, his technique is a bit mediocre now

#28163 by FinnAtLondon
Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:52 am
Hey Chris where do you stand on this Joe Satriani issue?

#28164 by Hyde
Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:57 am
I think they just got all excited with their new dropped tuning and forgot how to write good songs basically. Some of the songs are okay to listen to, but none of them really stand out as "good". In my opinion. And I'd have to agree that Metallica is a very good live band, but Kirk Hammet sucks... hardcore. It's like he never spent anytime listening to what Satriani was teaching him... and then he became the "Penatonic Wonder"... and he's not even that anymore.

#28167 by FinnAtLondon
Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:59 am
If I would have to listen to pentatonics I'd rather listen Wylde then. If I want to hear Johnny B Goode in every solo yeah Hammet would do.

#28180 by Big Al
Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:21 am
Am I the only one to think that Joe Satriani hasn't done anything new/original/fresh/good since Flying in a Blue Dream?
Perhaps it's just me but I swear he's gone down hill since he shaved his hair off :0/ :(

#28181 by FinnAtLondon
Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:25 am
Big Al wrote:Am I the only one to think that Joe Satriani hasn't done anything new/original/fresh/good since Flying in a Blue Dream?
Perhaps it's just me but I swear he's gone down hill since he shaved his hair off :0/ :(

Something GOOD, maybe! He doesn't sing anymore.

#28197 by -THe-Billy-
Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:10 am
Steve Morse is a technically proficient guitarist with awesome picking technique.

As for Hammett and Metallica, I really don't listen to them anymore. THey had great compositions and melody, and now its just like they got lazy.

I got bored with Satch's stuff and haven't heard any of the new material, and as for Eddie, never really thought of him as a great musician. Tapping is flashy sure, but the songs are written around the wank. Have to admit to liking Human's Being though...

#28199 by FinnAtLondon
Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:20 am
I like some of van hagar era, I must admit Poundcake still does it for me

#28282 by Guest
Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:57 pm
F.U.C.K is a great record ...

Geoff

#29530 by ianlogan123
Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:56 am
I like Satch (you probably guessed that from the avatar). I even liked Engines of Creation. Not so sure about his new album, although Is There Lovein Space has some really cool chords and an eerie spacey melody.

Morse is really good - the Introduction is one of my favourite albums.

EVH was incredible on the first two albums, but I though he lost it a little apart from Fair Warning and 1984 (two of my favourite VH albums).

Not a huge fan of Yngwie - I can appreciate what he does, but it all sounds a little repetative.

I always found KH boring. I'd much rather listen to ZW solo.

Just getting into Dream Theatre. I really like the way guitar and keyboards are sometimes indistinguishable.

#30299 by FinnAtLondon
Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:29 am
ianlogan123 wrote:Just getting into Dream Theatre. I really like the way guitar and keyboards are sometimes indistinguishable.

They should make a "consept album", with SONGS.

Building music around wankery is boring, nonetheless amazing. Petrucci has chops of a motherfucker.

#30609 by ianlogan123
Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:39 pm
Loved Scenes From a Memory. Really good tunes and they move seamlessly from one to another. Not too OTT compared to some of their other albums.

#30717 by FinnAtLondon
Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:50 am
I bought the DVD. Some cool stuff. Mostly boring.