Post HevyDevy fan art, covers, mashups, guitar tabs, etc here

#58777 by Archetype
Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:10 am
PukeVoice wrote:Hm, I play most of the SYL & DevBand stuff in C tuning.... (C F A# D# G C) since my guitar has problems with keeping the tension already (damn that floyd rose) and most of the bands I like to jam on use that tuning (In Flames, Dimension Zero, etc). And I'm more familiar with powerchords anyway.

If you use tabs tho, I guess you'd rather adapt your guitar to the norms of other SYL players.

If you play SYL songs with normal power chords, you're just making it hard on yourself, because they have a few phrases with very fast chord shifting.
And most of Devin's riffs are written in and for open C tuning, which are pretty difficult to play on 'normal' C tuning, like for instance the Truth riff.

#58849 by Bloody_Rust
Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:13 am
Archetype wrote:
Bloody_Rust wrote:Thanks everyone, I'll have another go at drop tuning. I might have to use my trusty keyboard.... the tuner/my ears aren't being too reliable!

Uhm, If you tune via your keyboard, than you also use your ears :)

Lol, you know what I mean. It helps to have the notes there than to try and remember them for myself.

#58852 by Archetype
Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:41 am
yeah ok, but you hear the note as you play them on your keyboard (we're talking about the instrument right, not the thing you use to type?), and than find it on your guitar. That's also basic ear-training.

#59017 by Bloody_Rust
Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:14 am
Yeah, I was referring to the instrument. Ear-training, eh? Well I didn't know that! :)