Post HevyDevy fan art, covers, mashups, guitar tabs, etc here
#58157 by Bloody_Rust
Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:31 pm
Sorry if this has been posted before, but I looked and I couldn't see it.

All I really want to know is how on earth do you drop tune guitars?! For example how would I be able to tune my guitar to the tuning that Devin uses? Since I'm quite new to guitar playing, I don't really have a clue. Therefore any help would be appreciated :)

#58199 by Archetype
Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:30 pm
Here's how to tune to "Open C-tuning" (devin's tuning)
Use a tuning device, to begin with...

Tune your thickest string (E) down to C
Tune your second string (A) down to G
Tune your third string (D) down to C
Leave your fourth string alone (G) :)
Tune your fifth string (B) UP(!) to C
And leave your thinnest E string alone.

There you have Open C tuning.

If your tuning device has trouble recognising the low C sound, try tuning on the 12th harmonic of the string, which is also a C, but an octave higher.

#58204 by 7lights
Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:53 pm
exactly, as archetype said. That is open C. Drop tuning usually refers to tuning you guitar to standard E A D G B E then dopping the lowest E string down to D. A whole step below standard.

#58206 by Archetype
Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:08 pm
Yeah, that's dropped D. You also see a lot of dropped C tunings (System of a Down, Limp Bizkit, etc), which would be a whole step tuned down (D, G, C, F, A, D), and than 'drop' their low D to C. This is commonly known as dropped C.
Fun fact, Devin tuned his guitar down to AAAEAE for the Physicist record. Don't even try that if you are using strings thinner than 0.13...

#58296 by Dr.Mosh
Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:59 am
Archetype wrote:Fun fact, Devin tuned his guitar down to AAAEAE for the Physicist record. Don't even try that if you are using strings thinner than 0.13...

Not to forget AAA on City :)

#58388 by simen_88
Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:58 am
Now, what's the point of having the same string twice? Might just be my opinion as a bass player, but it sounds really really pointless.

#58394 by Sinkharmony
Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:42 am
simen_88 wrote:Now, what's the point of having the same string twice? Might just be my opinion as a bass player, but it sounds really really pointless.

Pedal tones

#58461 by mo
Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:19 pm
or you could be one step ahead by buying a 7 string geet and tune

GCGCGCE

Down tuning is not the be all and end all though. No disrespect intended I like down tuning.

#58482 by hairy
Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:12 pm
simen_88 wrote:Now, what's the point of having the same string twice? Might just be my opinion as a bass player, but it sounds really really pointless.

If I'm right, Max Cavalera uses weird tunings sometimes, like 4 times the same note, or 2 notes only on his guitar. (remember he has only 4 strings on his guitar...).

CCCC... what a tuning... :roll:

#58719 by Bloody_Rust
Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:22 pm
Thanks everyone, I'll have another go at drop tuning. I might have to use my trusty keyboard.... the tuner/my ears aren't being too reliable!

#58739 by Bloody_Rust
Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:22 pm
Wooo, I managed to do it! So good to finally be able to play "Life" :D.

Thanks to all of you for pointing me in the right direction ;)

#58743 by simen_88
Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:02 pm
I'm not really sure how the bass tuning is. I'm pretty sure it's CGCF, but I've also heard it's CGCG. What would the CGCF tuning be called, if CGCG is open C?

#58744 by Metalhead
Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:02 pm
Bass tuning for what?

I've heard Byron normally tunes his bass to GCGCG (it's a 5-string), and I'd guess that the basses are tuned the same on all of Dev's records. But then again, I could be very wrong...

#58768 by PukeVoice
Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:56 pm
Hm, I play most of the SYL & DevBand stuff in C tuning.... (C F A# D# G C) since my guitar has problems with keeping the tension already (damn that floyd rose) and most of the bands I like to jam on use that tuning (In Flames, Dimension Zero, etc). And I'm more familiar with powerchords anyway.

If you use tabs tho, I guess you'd rather adapt your guitar to the norms of other SYL players.

#58776 by Archetype
Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:08 am
Bloody_Rust wrote:Thanks everyone, I'll have another go at drop tuning. I might have to use my trusty keyboard.... the tuner/my ears aren't being too reliable!

Uhm, If you tune via your keyboard, than you also use your ears :)