Post HevyDevy fan art, covers, mashups, guitar tabs, etc here
#58484 by Daft Grin 6zero
Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:59 pm
I'm not sure if this even a relevent question because I have never heard such a thing but my drum set sounds like shit and I have always thought it was my horrible playing!

If it is such a thing...whats the dealy-o? if not...please spit on me.

#58508 by Torniojaws
Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:25 pm
Well, you can quite drastically change the tone of your drums by tuning them. Either tighter (higher pitched sound) or looser (lower pitch).

From what I remember, you're supposed to tighten the screw at 12 o'clock on the drum, then the one at 6 o'clock, then the one at 10:30 o'clock, then the one at 4:30. Then the one at 9 o'clock and the one at 3 o'clock.

Only small adjustments for each.

#58579 by armheadmcgee
Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:54 pm
I had the same problem, and someone gave me a tip that made them sound twice as good.

All you have to do is not freaking forget about the BOTTOM HEADS, especially on the toms. Tune the toms to however low you want them if you are playing harder stuff (not TOO low but you know what I mean), then tune the bottom heads to be significantly tighter than the top ones.

If you really dont know the absolute basics of tuning drums, basically, get a sound on one of the tuning things, called lugs, then you use a drumstick or your finger and put your ear real close to each lug and try to get the sound on each of them exactly the same. You have to have a very good ear. It's tough, because every time you tune one, another one can go a little out of tune. But definitely do that opposite sides thing.

#58588 by Daft Grin 6zero
Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:17 pm
does it matter how many threads their are on the screw left? I have thought about just counting the threads and matching them all around...

#58600 by armheadmcgee
Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:49 pm
What the hell are you talking about?

#58605 by Daft Grin 6zero
Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:27 pm
the threads on the "lugs".

#58607 by Sinkharmony
Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:12 pm
Daft Grin 6zero wrote:does it matter how many threads their are on the screw left? I have thought about just counting the threads and matching them all around...

Probably not. Drum heads stretch in all sorts of ways, so doing just the thread counting could be misleading. Nothing beats listening to the drum.

#58926 by DeepFriedKittens
Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:04 pm
Tuning drums is not something you can just learn over the internet. Have a skilled percussionist who knows what he's talking about show you the tricks. Then try it yourself, eventually you'll get it.

Also, the heads have a lot to do with it. For example, if you give me that single ply Remo fuckshit I can't make em sound good, but if you give me some Evans Genera 2ply, I can make them sing.

#58929 by Greg Reason
Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:21 pm
Most drummers tune in fourths. I think that allows a good amount of tonal variety over the spread of the kit. I know also that a lot of producers and drummers like to tune to the key that the songs are in when they record drums for release. For example, if the song is in A then the kick and snare would both be A and the toms would be tuned diatonically form there.

#58931 by bloodredcurls
Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:35 pm
armheadmcgee wrote:All you have to do is not freaking forget about the BOTTOM HEADS, especially on the toms. Tune the toms to however low you want them if you are playing harder stuff (not TOO low but you know what I mean), then tune the bottom heads to be significantly tighter than the top ones.

I generally do the opposite. I tune the top heads (and I agree, single-ply heads are crappy for a heavy sound) to the notes I want. This is tricky and it takes a good ear and patience. Do not use the threads on the lugs. That won't work - but it gives me the giggles (girls.... we're all the same). If you are having a hard time hearing the tones, try using a stick and hitting about 1"" from the lug while lying a finger very lightly on the centre of the head. This doesn't work for me because I have to hear the tone ring out, but it works for a lot of people.
The botton heads, I keep really really loose. Not falling off, or not so the lugs rattle, but loose so that you get a lot of vibration between the two heads, giving you a real great low bellow between the two heads!
Someone once told me to not tune each head to a certain note, but try to tune each drum to itself. It's a little metaphysical piece of advice, but I've found it helpful. Let the drums do the work and just keep the drum in tune with itself.

:knight:

#60299 by Olive?
Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:48 am
DeepFriedKittens wrote:Tuning drums is not something you can just learn over the internet. Have a skilled percussionist who knows what he's talking about show you the tricks. Then try it yourself, eventually you'll get it.

Also, the heads have a lot to do with it. For example, if you give me that single ply Remo fuckshit I can't make em sound good, but if you give me some Evans Genera 2ply, I can make them sing.

I agree, but if someone would get an idea here's a few useful (IMO) links:

http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/

http://www.acousticdrums.com/ad_frames/ ... e_old.html

http://www.cse.ogi.edu/Drum/tuning.html
#62504 by growlbass
Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:11 pm
i have worked for a few drummers (bass player i am) in studio and live.
i found that if the bottom is too loose you get like a bounce back 'wow'
sound. tape on the skins always got my in shit, so i had to learn to tune em good.
yes it is not a good idea to count threads, there could be differences, but keep an eye to check for even tension.
most time i tightened the bottom first to where it sounded a bit lower than i wanted the drum. then flipped it over and rested it on carpet to dampen it. got a thick skin for the top tightened it up and then tuned.
after all was set up did a finall check to compare them together.
remember to stretch new skins especially the snare.

i am not an expert but its fun.