Post HevyDevy fan art, covers, mashups, guitar tabs, etc here
#61334 by Mr_Chimp
Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:12 pm
Hello, please excuse me if this has already been covered.

How the smeg does dev get that HUGE vocal sound on tracks like earth day, or even the sound for christine? clear vocal line but a hoooooooge backing.
I have tried every thing i know and i cant even come close to it.

Can anyone shed a bit o'light? :D

#61361 by mo
Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:51 pm
Layer upon layer im assuming. Lots of reverb too.

There's no doubt more to it.

#61369 by simen_88
Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:05 pm
I'm guessing a good combination of a great voice and a good studio.

#61380 by mo
Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:33 pm
good studio can be worked around if you have decent mics and hardware/software and the know-how

#61404 by the-fluke
Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:50 pm
I think there is lots of delay involved aswell.

and like mo said, layer upon layer...

#61406 by mo
Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:53 pm
dungeon recorded their last album with over 200 layers of guitar

#61469 by Mr_Chimp
Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:48 am
:shock: how many guitars?
i have the studio but its only 24 track, and i have some cool mics that are good for the job... i have listeded to some of the live vids i have and it is pretty much vocal layers and lots of delay. The guitars are much the same layer upon layer with shed loads of delay.

Hmm, lots of experimentation i think.... eek! :lol:

#61900 by the-fluke
Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:59 pm
ive wondered does it work if you record one track then multiply it to become,say 64 tracks. what would happen?

#61926 by A Gruesome Discovery
Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:57 pm
the-fluke wrote:ive wondered does it work if you record one track then multiply it to become,say 64 tracks. what would happen?

it would be the same track, except some degree* louder. There needs to be slight variations in the soundwaves to get a "thickening" effect. A delay can achieve this to some degree by creating timing variation (albeit a constant timing variation), but multiple individual takes have sonic nuances that really can't be replicated by other means.

*Physics crap: doubling the power yields an increase of 3 dB or thereabouts

#62113 by Kinski
Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:32 am
Dev also uses the TC Electronics vocal processor.

-Alec

#62266 by Woocifer
Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:15 am
All you have to do is use a detune/pitch shifting effect to get a strong base of noise...on top of that you do another vocal track and layer copies of it with the effects, rinse and repeat...

Devin is a reverb whore btw...

#62397 by the-fluke
Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:08 pm
cool. when i finally get round to recording my own songs il probably layer eberything. like, guitars left/right/center, and vocals maybe the same. taking all the advise ive read here into account obviously.

#63169 by i can fly
Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:32 am
dev vocals are evily insane

#64094 by Greg Reason
Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:58 pm
A good mic and good pres make a shitload of difference too. Try saving up for a Neuman or Rode if you can. Get a really nice expensive tube condensor and a nice expensive tube pre and you're halfway to getting a bitching sound. If you spend enough, you could fart in that thing and it would sound like gold.

#64095 by Greg Reason
Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:01 pm
the-fluke wrote:cool. when i finally get round to recording my own songs il probably layer eberything. like, guitars left/right/center, and vocals maybe the same. taking all the advise ive read here into account obviously.

You've gotta watch out with layering because you can also make things sound liek shit if you do it indiscriminantly. I think that for the most part, two guitars are more effective, and you have to play them damn tight. A double tracked guitar sounds better than an artificially doubled (small delay) guitar, but you need to do as many takes as need be to get it tight. Same goes with vocals. Try doubling only rather than doing shitloads of them and use a slightly different sound on each. If you have the option, try tracking one tube guitar and one solid state one. Trent Reznor did that for The Fragile and his guitar sound fuckin huge.