Post HevyDevy fan art, covers, mashups, guitar tabs, etc here
#62517 by Justinic
Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:17 pm
I'm looking to purchase a keyboard that I can play around with, and use to record some sounds into my songs. I'm looking for something that has a lot of voices already in it, but can also be used as a MIDI controller, and preferrably doesn't cost an insane amount of money. That's why I'm not going the synth route, I don't put enough into my music to shell out over a grand.

Is this something that would work for me?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=key/search/detail/base_pid/702210/

Or if you know of any others, by all means tell me.

And since I'm clueless on Keyboards, I assume they have standard 1/4 jacks to hook them up to amps and recording systems?

Thanks for any help.

#62518 by mo
Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:41 pm
Don't get it off the net, just go into a music store and try some shit out.

MIDI = good idea but you could even get a keyboard that's JUST a midi controller and run it through your computer. Then get some apps to do the synth etc.

Its actually a cheap way to go about it but get a decent sound card (audigy for PC or any mac will do).

#62526 by Justinic
Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:58 pm
I do all my recording through a Soundblaster Audigy 2 card, but I used to play the piano, so I want something I can just play by itself, with some sounds built into it, but can also be used as a MIDI controller. The reason I'm looking online is that we have very few music stores close to here, and none of them had a keyboard like I was wanting. It was either no MIDI, or in the 900 dollars and up price range.

#62531 by mo
Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:09 pm
if you dont want to spend too much yet then i think the controller is a good option with software... for now

#62766 by Archetype
Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:52 am
My choice would be the Korg Triton, or the Yamaha Motif.
They have some awesome sounds, but the Korg is more user-friendly, and, hey, come on, it's Korg :)

#62809 by Justinic
Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:29 am
preferrably doesn't cost an insane amount of money

That's the key word, or else I'd shell out a grand for a synth. I'm not even sure if these keyboards are going to end up in my music, I just want to experiement some with it. Spending a grand for something I'm not going to use isn't going to fly.

#62940 by Archetype
Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:21 am
The Korg Triton is 900 euro's, which isn't really expensive for a good synth.

#63038 by Tren
Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:14 pm
I would forget keyboards and get a cheap synth.

My advice would be a Roland RS-50 i think you can get them in the USA for less than $400. They are a great starting place and have massive tone banks. Start with a digital you'll loose yourself with analogue.

The first synth i got was yamaha cs1x which was excellent but some of the sounds are just plain aweful i'll bet you could find one of them second hand very very cheap.

#63707 by Justinic
Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:17 pm
Well, on the advice of people on this forum and on another forum I post on, I think I'll go with the Synthesizer. I'm going to a music store that's about an hour away this weekend to see if they have either the Roland or an Alexis I've seen on Musicians Friend.

You don't by chance know a site that has a tutorial for beginning digital synthesis, do you?