Post HevyDevy fan art, covers, mashups, guitar tabs, etc here

#65134 by ianlogan123
Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:20 pm
I learnt most of my theory and how to read standard notation during piano and trombone lessons. Advanced Modern Rock Guitar Improvisation by Jon Finn was pretty useful as well. An interesting and intelligent style, without being patronising or really dumb.

#65142 by The Devourer
Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:06 pm
music theory for me is...just fucking play. make some stuff that sounds like it fits together...after maybe a few big time bombs, and few good asttempts you'll start getting the hang of how shit is put together and everything. For me what I keep in mind is stuff like scales and things...if it fits in with a certain scale I'll try and do the rest of a song that way, or something to that extent, you know? music theory to me is all great and everything but you can't beat a vibe or feeling in what you play or jam. no music theory can teach that. and thats how me and my friends always write some seriously kick ass shit. just jammin a few things and then getting into the scale stuff to finish it up.

#65143 by hairy
Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:12 pm
Music becomes easier when you have the right basis...
You don't need to know all of the scales and stuff to write some nice music though! :twisted:

#65153 by Torniojaws
Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:17 pm
Learn a few less used scales, and use those in different keys, you'll have a big bunch of well-blending (between songs) stuff in no time :)

#65243 by fragility
Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:19 am
I think knowing your theory is another tool - sure, you can write stuff without it, but sometimes, it will help you to fill in the blanks and to make things make more sense, of course, for those tech-metallers amongst us, would be bloody difficult to no know any theory

#65262 by mo
Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:28 am
as I said... some of you may appreciate it

all depends on the individual and which is the best way they learn