Post HevyDevy fan art, covers, mashups, guitar tabs, etc here
#65053 by Falk
Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:44 am
PLop^^

I have a problem, when I play a note (let's say 12th fret, with third finger), then I release the finger to play a lower note (10th fret) with the index, I have a crappy sound on the B string, and I'm not pulling his noet off, it happens even when I pick both notes.
It's not some buzz, but as if there's a residual frequency on top of the note frequency, as if something keeps ringing and makes a bad sound, I'm surely not an experienced guitarist, but as much as I can see, the other strings are not ringing, so there's really something wrong on this string.
Of course when I play only one note the sound is good.

Any idea what it could be ?

Another question, does it happens that a guitarist starts deliberatly wih an upstroke to make a melody easier to play ? Like this :
Code: Select all---7-7-7---7-7-7---7-7-7---
-5-------5-------5-------5-

Or does an experienced guitarist don't care about that at all and I'd better practice the hard way ?

#65078 by Archetype
Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:53 am
Well, do you play through an FX-pedal? I had the same problem, with digital distortions...
As for the second question, there ARE rules of playing down- and upstrokes, but it's best just to play it the way you like it best, and the way it sounds best.
'Experienced' guitarists (this sounds so 'posh') don't care about this anymore, because they automatically play it the correct way. Oh, and by the way, the way you play it, by starting with an upstroke, is actually the 'right' way.

#65136 by ianlogan123
Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:29 pm
If it only happens when you play the 12th fret on your B string it could be that some other part on your guitar resonates at that pitch. There are a couple of notes on my guitar which do that, but since its not audible when amplified I don't worry about it too much. If you only play the A at the 10th fret does it sound OK.

Starting with an upstroke means that you use less movement in your picking hand if yor continue to use alternate picking.

#65183 by mo
Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:10 pm
Dead fret perhaps?

What guitar?

#65653 by Greg Reason
Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:54 pm
It could be a few things. Number one is it could be a rusty string that is just crap, but that is the obvious answer. It could also be bad intonation on your guitar, in which case you would need to take it to someone to get fixed if you aren't a very experienced guitarist.

It could also be a bad setup, this is what i actually think it would be from your description. The string might be just a little bit too low or the neck might be on the wrong angle or something and the note with fret out or buzz because the string is vibrating up against a fret somewhere down the neck. If this is the case, you should be able to hear the buzzing noise when you hold your ear close to the string. Get a guitar repair guy to check it out, you may only need a quick setup or you may need a fret dress.

#65792 by Falk
Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:02 am
Thanks for your answers^^

That's weird, it really looks like a residual frequency (coming from the string or another part on the guitar, I don't know), cuz' sometimes that crap noise is growing with the number of note I play. For example 4 5 6 7 on the high E string, 4 is ok, 5 there's some noise, 6 more and 7 even more.

I don't play through a pedal, it's just the distortion of a 30W roland (maybe not th ebest for dito :wink: )
My guitar is an ibanez grx70, so yup', it may not be perfect :wink:

ALso you may be right about the string. I don't play 6 hours a day so they don't get used quickliy, but I don't change the strings often neither :oops:

A chech out could be nice anyway, I buy some bigger strings than the one that were on the guitar when I bought it, and also the guitar fell on the flour the other day :|
Hopefully it fell nicely, from the bridge to the head, on all it's flat, and nothing broke :D

----

About the picking, do you sometimes deliberatly start by an upstroke to make a riff/melody easier ?
Cuz' in soloing, with string skeeping and all, and even more when improvising I guess, you can't avoid the "hard picking pattern" (unless picking economicly).
Cuz' having to remember when to start with an upstroke seems like a constraint to me (with my limited experience^^)

#65946 by Greg Reason
Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:34 pm
Yeah, sometimes I would start on an upstroke, but not very often. But yes, do alter your picking tohelp with whatever you're playing.... The smoothest, easiest way to play something correctly is the best, because you shouldn't expend energy unnecessarily if you can use that energy elsewhere in your playing.

#65983 by Dr.Mosh
Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:01 am
About the upstroke, I would usually start something like that with an upstroke. Don't ask me why, but I guess it just depends what I was playing before.
Not that it would be a problem starting with a downstroke, but it's just the way it's become :)

#66323 by Jeroen
Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:58 am
One of my amps (a very cheap one) has a natural frequency at one of my guitars notes... so when I play that note it starts do resonate with that note... but it's just a cheap crappy amp anyway... If I play the same guitar on another amp I don't have that problem