Post HevyDevy fan art, covers, mashups, guitar tabs, etc here

#136128 by Blazingmonga
Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:32 am
Goat wrote:So what sort would this some sort of album be precisely? As I understand, you are not too keen on doing the whole album with interpretations of various Devin's music?

Well, I am keen to do something like the HDAS project again, and try and make it better than the first one. I learnt a lot while making that project and I have a much better idea of what I would like to do.

I think I would like to make a more cohesive album next time, possibly make 2 even.

And yes, I am not too keen on do an album of covers. I am interested in interpretations though, so long as they are unique enough so as to be original. I am not really too bothered beyond curiousity to hear Devin covers. I am sure many of you could do some stunning versions of Devin songs, but I think you would do yourself justice by coming up with something original.

And covering Shitstorm on the mandola is pretty original, I think.

#136184 by Goat
Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:45 pm
So we basicaly understand each other on the cover vs. interpretation issue. A Devin song (if we're talking about interpretation of course) rearranged for and redone on an instrument (or instruments) that is so far out it really takes the song somewhere else. Electric guitar and drum kits strictly forbidden! :lol:

And thanks all for the kind words. :)

#141226 by Goat
Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:13 pm
Update: while I couldn't care less for the guitar version at this period of time (sorry!) I started today the arrangement for the mandolin orchestra. Instruments: 1st mandolins, 2nd mandolins, 1st mandolas, 2nd mandolas, acoustic guitars, contrabass, maybe mandoloncello. I'm doing the basics in Powertab, so when it's finished, I'll upload it for your amusement. It's funny, believe me. :lol:
Oh, I'll have to write individual score sheets for each instrument separately, does anyone know any decent *cough* "free" software for writing sheet music?
And David, I'm practicing. :D A couple of weeks ago after the rehearsal with the orchestra in the "internal" pub after a couple of beers I played it on mandola and my partner in crime did the vocals. I laughed so hard I couldn't play. :lol:

#141232 by Josiah Tobin
Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:50 pm
Wow, how I could have missed this thread? Shitstorm played by an orchestra of any kind would a million different kinds of cool. This has to happen!

Oh, also... Just saw this:
Blazingmonga wrote:Please do!

Seriously, the main problem here is playing the damn thing. There isn't likely to be anyone else that could attempt to do such a thing, or would want to. Well...maybe....Josiah? Ha!

Ha indeed! I would definitely want to attempt such a thing, though whether or not I could is up for debate-- my fingers aren't as quick as they used to be for various reasons. However, I do know a fellow who may be able to pull off a bluegrass banjo version... :lol:

#141241 by Blazingmonga
Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:33 am
Go Goat! Go Josiah!

I want to hear all alternate instrument versions of shitstorm. How about a trombone version?

I will do a version on my pan pipes if you like. Or maybe harmonica. Heehee.

#141323 by Deathcom7000
Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:58 pm
Eh... I'm not sure what to click on. I feel like a handitard :(

edit- Nevermind. I figured it out, but I dont have the software to work it :[

#141327 by ASHORIZZOR
Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:22 pm
Blazingmonga wrote:Go Goat! Go Josiah!

I want to hear all alternate instrument versions of shitstorm. How about a trombone version?

I will do a version on my pan pipes if you like. Or maybe harmonica. Heehee.

Would you mind doing a bagpipes version please? :D

#141343 by superhydroyeast
Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:56 am
Blazingmonga wrote:Please do!

Seriously, the main problem here is playing the damn thing. There isn't likely to be anyone else that could attempt to do such a thing, or would want to. Well...maybe....Josiah? Ha!

Anyway, if you sort out a microphone then I am sure people here (myself included) can help you record it. Even just a few takes, just for giggles. Even a simple PC microphone can record things fairly cleanly if you are careful. Software can be used to improve the recording also.

So basically...please! I am sure people here would be extremely interested to hear it. See the HDAS project for my thoughts on such things.

Anyhoo...good stuff dude!!!

I'd give it a shot if I had time =D.

#141605 by Goat
Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:47 pm
As said on the SYL forums:

Not "maybe" mandoloncello, but absolutely fucking definitely mandoloncello, hohoho, 2 bass parts, this is now ripping. I still have to arrange the upper (synth) harmonies, distribute them around, figure out which vocals to cover via melody and which not, and the darndest thing of all, the acoustic guitars, I'm not quite sure how to approach them. They'll have to be fingerstyle and percussive and not powerchords. :?
I've heavily improved the notes, the damn thing again is everytime I listen to the original at different speed I hear different notes, but the fills are now definitely "correcter" and I think I'll finish it all over the weekend. Prepare! :D And get Powertab, if you don't have it already, hehehe.

Btw, I sent a PM to Jed. And he responded. And you would like to know. And I am so evil right now, mwahahahaha! :twisted: Cheerio ...

#141619 by gozu
Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:44 am
is power tab free? cause i don't have much money
:(

also get your orchestra to perform it record it and put it on hevy devy all stars 2.... or just on here if that gives monga a heart attack.

#141623 by gozu
Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:29 am
awesome cheers :)

#143517 by Goat
Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:11 am
Here's a midi file of the work. It's just PowerTab file exported into midi. Sounds are what PT offers, instrumentation is thin because only six instruments are used: 2 mandolins, 2 mandolas, mandoloncello and contrabass.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XL48X91Y

The ending is not finished yet and still I have no idea how to use acoustic guitars. But all in all, it's fun to listen to. :D

#143531 by Blazingmonga
Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:15 am
Goat...that was awesome!

I really dont know how you could improve that really, it seems 100% like Shitstorm...only MIDI!

I will give you...things...if you record this with REAL instruments.

Like LOTS of things.
Last edited by Blazingmonga on Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

#143532 by Leechmaster
Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:19 am
Blazingmonga wrote:Goat...that was awesome!

Seconded. Wow. I do tipeth my virtual hat to you, good sir!