Post HevyDevy fan art, covers, mashups, guitar tabs, etc here

#147704 by :)
Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:04 am
i shouldn't know, but doesn't spirituality have same tuning as AAA?

#147834 by RastaPappi
Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:41 pm
[/quote]I wish I had a scanner, because I've got three pages from Total Guitar with Devin explaining solo'ing and arpeggio's in open C tuning (WITH the low G)[/quote]
That would be so cool o.0

#147881 by Archetype
Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:28 pm
Broken Link, so I cannot answer that.
It's a Total Guitar special with Dev and Jed explaining the open C tuning. I believe it was an article from 2006.

#147894 by labelkills741
Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:33 pm
Archetype wrote:Broken Link, so I cannot answer that.
It's a Total Guitar special with Dev and Jed explaining the open C tuning. I believe it was an article from 2006.

The link worked for me, but it's not it. He mentions that he can improvise in open tunings, but doesn't expand on it at all.

#147907 by Morphine
Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:54 pm
I wouldn't recommend tuning to open C with an extra G on a normal 7-string, no matter what gauge you use.

Care to share your reasons why you don't recommend this?

Jed tuned his 6 string "short scale" (24.75") V's to GCGCGC for the songs that require a low G.

Devin has also used LTD 607's (25.5") in the past tuned to GCGCGCE.

You can easily get a standard scale 6 or 7 string and tune it to these tunings with the proper string gauge and truss rod adjustments.

Having a baritone scale is nice, it will give you more accurate intonation on the lower notes, as well as a little more string tension. However, it's not a necessity to achieve workable results with these tunings.

#147919 by Archetype
Tue May 01, 2007 1:43 am
oh I didn't say it wasn't possible, but it's just much easier on a baritone 7-string. like the Steve Carpenter LTD.
I've tried different string gauges on my normal 7-string and tuned it down to G, but I would still have to play very careful. because the string was just too loose and would detune once you played a note on it. This could also be thanks to the fact that I have a Buzz Feiten system on my 7-string.
I've tried 0.65 as biggest gauge for the 7th string. Bigger than that wouldn't even fit through the tuners.

Jed tuned his 6-string to that tuning? I didn't know that. In the interview I mentioned above, he told Total Guitar he just stayed in normal open C tuning for the songs, and let Devin play the low G string.
If you say he uses that tuning I believe you ofcourse, now I'm just curious about his hardware and strings.

#148012 by RastaPappi
Tue May 01, 2007 2:36 pm
Archetype wrote:oh I didn't say it wasn't possible, but it's just much easier on a baritone 7-string. like the Steve Carpenter LTD.
I've tried different string gauges on my normal 7-string and tuned it down to G, but I would still have to play very careful. because the string was just too loose and would detune once you played a note on it. This could also be thanks to the fact that I have a Buzz Feiten system on my 7-string.
I've tried 0.65 as biggest gauge for the 7th string. Bigger than that wouldn't even fit through the tuners.

Jed tuned his 6-string to that tuning? I didn't know that. In the interview I mentioned above, he told Total Guitar he just stayed in normal open C tuning for the songs, and let Devin play the low G string.
If you say he uses that tuning I believe you ofcourse, now I'm just curious about his hardware and strings.

But it always seems that he plays with open C tuning... but i can be always wrong about that one...
P.S. dont bitch about my english! :D

#148021 by Archetype
Tue May 01, 2007 4:45 pm
Yeah, he plays in open C tuning, but just the normal 6-string version; no low G string.
Well, at least that's what I read; unfortunately I have never heard or seen the truth about Jed's tunings.

#148039 by Morphine
Tue May 01, 2007 8:10 pm
Jed has stated on the SYL forums a few times that he ditched the high E, not the low G. There are rhythms he needs to play while Devin solos (Wrong Side for example) where the low G is necessary.

He still used a 6 string in Open C tuning for the old songs while Devin used a 7 string. Perhaps that's what he was saying in the interview.

Tuning instability can be any number of things. Not properly wrapping the string around the tuning peg, the tuning peg being loose, improper gauge of string, not adjusting the truss rod properly, nut not being filed properly for the string gauge, etc.

A baritone will help with a lot of issues (some of which I listed before) like intonation, string tension, etc. Though, it shouldn't necessarily hold tuning better than a shorter scale guitar that has been properly set up for said tuning. Your buzz fiten tuning system you mentioned was likely the culprit.

#149294 by Variant
Fri May 11, 2007 9:57 am
Archetype wrote:a little extra fact: Dev plays on a baritone 7-string. I wouldn't recommend tuning to open C with an extra G on a normal 7-string, no matter what gauge you use.

You can do it... my Ibanez RG7620 (25.5" scale) was tuned down a while step with a drop-G (GDGCFAD) with a .070 on the low-G and it was fine, tension wise. The biggest problem was the stock DiMarzio pickups where are not really balanced well enough for such subterranean tunings. EMG's fair much better. In any case, I've got the new Ibby 8 ordered so that'll be nice when it gets here! :D
#197472 by the-fluke
Sat May 09, 2009 4:01 pm
Updated with Ki tunings. I still think this is an excellent reference for the many tunings Devin uses.

It would be cool if Dev could have a peep and confirm/correct.
#197480 by soundsofentropy
Sat May 09, 2009 5:32 pm
Erm, never noticed this thread, so I'm a bit late. I think Dev might actually play "Things Beyond Things" in drop-D, just because it has an "open-string + delay" sort of sound. Regardless, I'm almost positive that "Wild Colonial Boy" is in standard (I tabbed it if you're interested), based on listening and on the video of him playing it on acoustic in 2000.

Also, open-C down a half step is called open-B.

One other thing: all the songs on the Christeen EP are in open-C.
#197582 by AlucardXIX
Mon May 11, 2009 4:12 am
the-fluke wrote:
Falk wrote:And Bastard is in open-C down half a step ?
Or not ? That's the tuning I used for the tab I did (of the 1st part), but some said it wasn't the right tuning, still don't know for sure...

Oh and isn't The Filler in A ? Or open-C down 1 and a half step ?
Or am I playing this an octave to low ?

Archetype wrote:EGCGCGC on Possessions? Are you sure about this? It seems quite impossible to tune the 6th string down to G.

If it's not possessions then it's another one of the songs. Byron mentions he has to tune to a lower E for one song in the bonus material that comes with alien, and I've heard people on here say it's Possessions. If ya listen to it it does sound tuned a bit lower than the usual 7-string stuff.

I'm just going by what I've read on here. Never heard about The Filler tuning, but if anyone wants to confirm the different tunings let me know and I'll immediately update the list.

I knew I'd get at least one song wrong! :?

Possessions is in E, but I think it's tuned ECGCGCE. At least that's how I figured most of it out.