Post HevyDevy fan art, covers, mashups, guitar tabs, etc here
#14282 by danra
Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:01 am
A question for anyone really - I'm just wondering how to get familiar with the tuning, because having learned in standard and drop-d i'm at a loss as to how to approach CGCGCE. Obviously all the old scales and patterns and so on go out the window (and i'm not sad to see them go!), so how do you learn your way around the fretboard, and not end up just playing octaves on different strings all the way up, etc etc etc...

I'm guessing this is a good tuning for crazy arpeggios though...

#14288 by StrappingYoungLad
Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:16 am
Once upon a time i used to be a standard E tuning player (EADGBE) and i wasn't comfortable even trying anything else. Anyways..i had to adopt a new tuning for my metal band...CGCFAD...and that took quite a while to get used to for many reasons.....the string tension, the new string gauge, the sound, the chords, the tonality etc etc...i've never been huge on scales...but i do play them. Lately i've adopted the CGCGCE and it is quite scary. I don't quite feel comfortable with it and i don't feel like a 'guitarist' any more...but that is how i felt with CGCFAD when i started out....i'll keep you posted...Devin showed me all his scales and i wrote them down for his particular tuning...it is very easy to navigate in...but just means u have to adapt and forget all the licks you once knew!

CHRIS
#14291 by FinnAtLondon
Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:22 am
danra wrote:A question for anyone really - I'm just wondering how to get familiar with the tuning, because having learned in standard and drop-d i'm at a loss as to how to approach CGCGCE. Obviously all the old scales and patterns and so on go out the window (and i'm not sad to see them go!), so how do you learn your way around the fretboard, and not end up just playing octaves on different strings all the way up, etc etc etc...

I'm guessing this is a good tuning for crazy arpeggios though...

I haven't really tried but seems that you have to get used to 4 notes, 3 notes, 4 notes, 3 notes pattern as opposed to just 3 notes per string when playing scales?

#14300 by StrappingYoungLad
Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:38 am
That is an interesting way of looking at it ;) cos you have 3 C's, 2 G's and the out of place E as Dev says :)...its a beautiful sounding tuning...especially when just strumming the open strings!

Chris....

also..it is Dev trademark..very distinct!

#14302 by FinnAtLondon
Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:41 am
StrappingYoungLad wrote:That is an interesting way of looking at it ;) cos you have 3 C's, 2 G's and the out of place E as Dev says :)...its a beautiful sounding tuning...especially when just strumming the open strings!

Chris....

also..it is Dev trademark..very distinct!

Well, if you think of modes 4-3-4-3 per string, then you get easy symmetrical shape, don't you?

#14415 by Sinkharmony
Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:54 am
StrappingYoungLad wrote:Once upon a time i used to be a standard E tuning player (EADGBE) and i wasn't comfortable even trying anything else. Anyways..i had to adopt a new tuning for my metal band...CGCFAD...and that took quite a while to get used to for many reasons.....the string tension, the new string gauge, the sound, the chords, the tonality etc etc...i've never been huge on scales...but i do play them. Lately i've adopted the CGCGCE and it is quite scary. I don't quite feel comfortable with it and i don't feel like a 'guitarist' any more...but that is how i felt with CGCFAD when i started out....i'll keep you posted...Devin showed me all his scales and i wrote them down for his particular tuning...it is very easy to navigate in...but just means u have to adapt and forget all the licks you once knew!

CHRIS

Could you post some of those scales that Dev showed you? That would be most excellent.

#14429 by fragility
Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:18 am
I have a love/hate realtionship with Dev's tuning.

Everything I write iin it sounds great...but it also sounds too devy like for me, I fell like I'm stealing it all

#14436 by Sinkharmony
Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:28 am
fragility wrote:I have a love/hate realtionship with Dev's tuning.

Everything I write iin it sounds great...but it also sounds too devy like for me, I fell like I'm stealing it all
I know what you mean, but it doesn't bother me. Sounding like Devin goes way beyond just the guitar riffs. It's everything as a whole that establishes a musician's identity with songs. :D I hate getting stuck in the trap of "oh that sounds too much like this band, or that sounds too much like that band". In the end, there are only 12 notes. So everything that you can write is going to be reminiscent of something else. Especially when you talk about your influences. Originality is just taking your influences and arranging them in a clever way. ;) At least, I'm going to keep telling myself that and keep on ripping off Devin, Opeth and Tool.

#14442 by fragility
Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:38 am
haha, well, i can think of far worse people to rp off.

No, my stuff in other tunings just sounds more original and more of a combo of influences, rather than expecting devin to start singing and he doesnt :(

#14459 by danra
Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:10 pm
yeah, posting some scales would be ace. I really feel like just abandoning my standard or drop-d tunings and jumping headlong into a new one like a bondage enthusiast into an egyptian tomb. I have this feeling that CGCGCE would just make so much more sense in my head, instinctively, whereas standard...well, i just have to think about it too much.

#14477 by Sinkharmony
Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:27 pm
danra wrote:yeah, posting some scales would be ace. I really feel like just abandoning my standard or drop-d tunings and jumping headlong into a new one like a bondage enthusiast into an egyptian tomb. I have this feeling that CGCGCE would just make so much more sense in my head, instinctively, whereas standard...well, i just have to think about it too much.

CGCGCE definately simplifies things.

#14509 by Falk
Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:22 pm
Yup' Danra, I don't have very big hands neither, well especially that crappy pinky finger which is one inch smaller than the other fingers... When I'll get rich, I'll do a custom guitar with a thinner neck :p as I have really thin fingers, I'm sure I could handle 7 or 8 strings on a regular neck :lol: .
The C scale in E :

E||----------------------------------------------------------10--12--13--||
B||----------------------------------------------10--12--13--------------||
G||-----------------------------------9--10--12--------------------------||
D||------------------------9--10--12-------------------------------------||
A||-------------8--10--12------------------------------------------------||
E||--8--10--12-----------------------------------------------------------||

Same in open C, 3 notes per string, kinda weird
E||------------------------------------------------------------10--12--13--||
C||-------------------------------------------------9--11--12--------------||
G||--------------------------------------9--10--12-------------------------||
C||--------------------------11--12--14------------------------------------||
G||--------------10--12--14------------------------------------------------||
C||--12--14--16------------------------------------------------------------||

Same in open C, with 4 3 4 3 4 3... (and 15 17 19 on the out of place E string^^)
E||--------------------------------------------------------------------------||
C||----------------------------------------------------------12--14--16--17--||
G||----------------------------------------------12--14--16------------------||
C||------------------------------12--14--16--17------------------------------||
G||------------------12--14--16----------------------------------------------||
C||--12--14--16--17----------------------------------------------------------||

Same in open C, but 3 4 3 4
E||----------------------------------------------------------------------13--||
C||----------------------------------------------------------12--14--16------||
G||------------------------------------------10--12--14--16------------------||
C||------------------------------12--14--16----------------------------------||
G||--------------10--12--14--16----------------------------------------------||
C||--12--14--16--------------------------------------------------------------||
Last edited by Falk on Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#14569 by StrappingYoungLad
Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:54 pm
i promise ill post all the scales hes showed very soon...:) keeop an eye out or PM me..