Archived

#1600 by Apophis
Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:51 pm
Catatonik wrote:I would love to hear what you could do with Lacuna Coil (much easier considering Cristina is a fan of both you and Gene :) ).

But I would actually really like to hear you working with any female vocalist.

i could say what i thought at first then but i wont as it's far too rooted in innuendo. Plus that thought could severely harm children for future generations. :night:

#1635 by MullHawk
Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:20 pm
steve_dave wrote:it really baffles me that Metallica even considered the production on that album ok. my main beef is that god awful baking tray snare, it's a real shame because i watched all of the 'pre-anger' publisity shows and stuff and when they played/ play (leeds was goooooood) it live it sounds good... shame i wasted money on the record.

You went to Leeds last year? Man that performance was incredible, I had watched some live stuff not long before I headed out and didn't expect them to be that good but they proved they still have it in them. Only 2 songs from St anger too so we got a pretty damn good solid set, but where the hell was one??
#1672 by StrappingYoungLad
Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:41 pm
The Dev wrote:Some answers...

In Detox, it's 'Hey you mo' , as in 'moron' I guess...

I could make a female singer sound perfect. Nobody in mind though...

St. Anger sounds like ass, but I respect James Hetfield for going to rehab, and however dopey his lyrics may sound sometimes, I honestly think he's doing it for the right reasons.

My PV settings:

Pre 5-6
Lo - 6
Mid - 2
High -2.5
Post - 4
Res - 6
Presence - 7

High gain channel, high input.

More stuff later...

[/b]

Devin...Thank You SOOOOOOOO much for the prompt reply! Hope you got my letter with the Guitar World cover in the mail! I was just sitting here at university in Australia thinking things couldn't be worse this time of year ....but your reply made my week :lol: It is great to see your active involvement on the forum...i've only been a member for 2 days and i'm loving it on here! \m/ Chris
#1699 by StrappingYoungLad
Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:45 pm
I think it is abysmal that MetallicA fans (and those who don't like them) chose to pay out St.Anger because of the sound production! It was no doubt an obvious endeavour to achieve that desired sound! As if Bob Rock and Metallica would release something of that quality post-Black album without deliberation about the subsequent consequences of peoples thoughtless criticisms! Essentially...if you like the songs on the album (or any album for that matter)...sound production should be considered as a secondary contributing factor to the overall enjoyment. The songs on that album rock! And MetallicA ripped-ass in Melbourne and proved that their live sound alleviated the 'tinny' snare sound.

Chris :string:

#1751 by FinnAtLondon
Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:45 am
geoff wrote:Shit .... The production on the black album is phenomenal !!!
For me with F.U.C.K of Van Halen those both records have the sound I'd like to get if I was starting a band ...

Hey, that VH album used to be a favourite of mine long ago, gotta find one somewhere!

Have heard Jeff Beck's "guitar shop"??? I think that is sonically best album ever. That's the best album I've ever heard for taking to a hifi shop for testing stuff. Absolutely umbeliveable!!!

#1753 by Guest
Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:09 am
Jeff Beck .... another dead hero

:dead:

Geoff

#3846 by baldmosher
Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:59 pm
Catatonik wrote:But I would actually really like to hear you working with any female vocalist.

Tracey Turner, that great well-known female vocalist, did backing vocals on a VAI track and on Infinity (and probably others) along with most other members of Dev and the band's families. I reckon that provides concrete proof that Dev can make female vocals sound perfect. :lol:

#3879 by Puzzleface
Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:07 pm
geoff wrote:Jeff Beck .... another dead hero

:dead:

Geoff

When the fuck did this happen? I thought he was still alive.

#3882 by hog
Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:15 pm
Im not a fan of St Angers production but some of the songs are alright! Im sure that James and Co can now take risks and make whatever type of album they want in this stage of their career.

I reckon some people want them to make Master of Puppets over and over again

Jeff Beck is still alive ha ha, he has a tour this June!

#3885 by StrappingYoungLad
Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:20 pm
hog wrote:Im not a fan of St Angers production but some of the songs are alright! Im sure that James and Co can now take risks and make whatever type of album they want in this stage of their career.

It seems like an impossible endeavour to please fans nowadays! Even if MetallicA released an album like justice or puppets, fans would have a whinge either way! To prove my point..i've heard some dickheads say that Devin didn't do a good production job on infinity...that person is now in a wheelchair because of that inconsiderate remark (senseless joke!)...but you get my drift

#3933 by hog
Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:04 am
StrappingYoungLad wrote:
hog wrote:Im not a fan of St Angers production but some of the songs are alright! Im sure that James and Co can now take risks and make whatever type of album they want in this stage of their career.

It seems like an impossible endeavour to please fans nowadays! Even if MetallicA released an album like justice or puppets, fans would have a whinge either way! To prove my point..i've heard some dickheads say that Devin didn't do a good production job on infinity...that person is now in a wheelchair because of that inconsiderate remark (senseless joke!)...but you get my drift

Yeah, Metallica get a hard time of it sometimes.

The Infinity production is epic! To say that its crap deserves to be shot :)

#3949 by Apophis
Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:50 am
maybe Geoff meant Jeff Beck might as well be dead for all he's done in the last few years?

or maybe Geoff's just majorly uninformed!

#4059 by steve_dave
Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:23 pm
MullHawk wrote:
steve_dave wrote:it really baffles me that Metallica even considered the production on that album ok. my main beef is that god awful baking tray snare, it's a real shame because i watched all of the 'pre-anger' publisity shows and stuff and when they played/ play (leeds was goooooood) it live it sounds good... shame i wasted money on the record.

You went to Leeds last year? Man that performance was incredible, I had watched some live stuff not long before I headed out and didn't expect them to be that good but they proved they still have it in them. Only 2 songs from St anger too so we got a pretty damn good solid set, but where the hell was one??

it was a killer show indeed... me and my buddies (being the comedy guys we are) we wore our free t-shirts (aged seven years) from the variety packs of cereal we bought for the festival and we were gonna rip them off in an extreme metal/hulk hogan style during our favourite song... mine was battery... FIRST GODDAM SONG! i froze my ass off for the rest of the set. goin back next year though.

#4084 by MullHawk
Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:44 pm
I had planned to smash a can off my head for enter the sandman, in true ECW Sandman style, but they wouldn't let me take a damn can in.