Archived

#4108 by steve_dave
Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:56 pm
MullHawk wrote:I had planned to smash a can off my head for enter the sandman, in true ECW Sandman style, but they wouldn't let me take a damn can in.

just in case you managed to get onstage and slice up Lars' beloved snare skin! :lol:

#4405 by Da_Captain
Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:35 pm
The thing that drove me mad about St. Anger was that damn snare that sounded like a foot tall cowbell being struck.

So there.

#4409 by Guitarzan
Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:21 pm
I also can't see everyone's beef with St. Anger.

Metallica has some of the hardest to please fans around.

The production sound was certainly different but nothing that made the album unlistenable at all, at least to me.

I actually like most of the songs on the album, in fact, I love the album. Quite a few of my close friends also like it. Then there are others who give lame excuses like 'it sounds unorganized' or 'the production sucks.' Whatever. I dig it.

The songs sound much better live though. Frantic played FAST like it should is great, and I'd love to see Dirty Window played live. Unnamed Feeling is however the best song on there.

#5190 by baldmosher
Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:32 am
Guitarzan wrote:The production sound was certainly different but nothing that made the album unlistenable at all, at least to me.

Exactly. It was the unimaginative, boring riffs and terribly unsingable vocal melodies that made it unlistenable.

#5535 by Puzzleface
Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:47 pm
St. Anger is one of the most shitty and insipid albums in history. When it was announced, last spring, that the new Metallica album was coming out and it was going to totally bring back that hard edge I had hope. I really had hope that the last 13 years had been a bad dream and, like Victoria Principle in Dallas, I was going to wake up and realize it had been a bad dream and Metallica were back to how they were PRE-BLACK ALBUM.

Well they succeeded in one thing. St. Anger was much different then anything that Metallica had released in their 20+ year career. Unfortunately it was complete SHIT. Bob Rock actually got paid money to produce this unlistenable travesty of an album? (And I use the term "produce" in its loosest terminology possible). I would have been much more entertained if James Hetfield had shoved a microphone up his ass and farted for 65 minutes. Hell that would have been melodic by comparison.

#5542 by MullHawk
Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:19 pm
Puzzleface wrote: I would have been much more entertained if James Hetfield had shoved a microphone up his ass and farted for 65 minutes. Hell that would have been melodic by comparison.

Now that I would of paid out for.

#5693 by Catatonik
Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:47 am
I dunno, I might have paid for the DVD of that, you know, with Kirk and gang all egging him on while he tries to get the microphone up there without tearing the foam covering...

:shock:
#5700 by screamingking
Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:05 am
[quote="The Dev"]Some answers...

I could make a female singer sound perfect. Nobody in mind though...

I do, Dev. How about Skin from Skunk Anansie. Would be perfect!

#5711 by Catatonik
Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:20 am
If it sounds like Ass, our jibe about the Microphone>Ass is more accurate than we originally believed.

Ouch. :shock:

#5722 by Devinaddicted_Nils
Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:31 am
well, as a matter of fact Metallica has a real killer sound live...but St. Anger sucks.

The Dev used to stick up a phone his arse...maybe Jaymz reproduced that idea...

#5765 by Guest
Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:23 am
Seriously ... If Metallic wanted to show that their heavy roots are still intact they would have changed their mind before the St Anger release .
I think that there's a difference between a shitty production and a "raw" production ... They failed in their intention, that's all :?

Geoff

#5773 by danra
Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:02 am
baldmosher wrote:
Guitarzan wrote:The production sound was certainly different but nothing that made the album unlistenable at all, at least to me.

Exactly. It was the unimaginative, boring riffs and terribly unsingable vocal melodies that made it unlistenable.

matter of opinion isn't it? i thought st. anger was pretty good - of course, it was different to lightning/puppets/justice which were different to 'metallica' which was different to load/re-load...but then, i (and i'm sure metallica would be too) would be bored to death if they didn't try new things and churned out predictable master of puppets riffs all the time. 8) .

and st. anger actually has some great songs on - unnamed feeling is one of their best songs ever, in my view, and there are plenty of great moments.

all my opinion of course...

#5787 by danceswithchickens
Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:52 am
Ever since James Hetfield started sounding like a hick, I haven't been able to take him seriously. I saw them perform a new song live on MTV, and his voice just didn't suit the music at all. Sounds like he should be a country singer instead.

But I haven't really listened to the new album, so I won't knock it.