Archived
#60415 by Digital Insurrectionist
Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:16 pm
For a long while the mainstays for metal on the radio have been Megadeth and Metallica with some Slayer thrown in every now and then. But now radio has been picking up Fear Factory, Killswitch Engage, Atreyu and Shadows Fall. With this new surge of interest in metal do you think it will cause a backlash in the scene due to record companies trying to push out product even if it's shit or cause longtime fans of the underground to turn their back because their favorite secret (REPLACE band here) has been given radio rotation?

Also, do you think Slipknot's release of Iowa helped spark an interest in harder bands to an unknowing audience? (I heard fans of their first album talk about how bad the second release was because it was too hard).

And finally, will we ever see (hopefully soon) a Chimaira, Fear Factory and Strapping Young Lad show? That show would be complete sickness.

Severo.
#60425 by mo
Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:57 pm
Digital Insurrectionist wrote:For a long while the mainstays for metal on the radio have been Megadeth and Metallica with some Slayer thrown in every now and then. But now radio has been picking up Fear Factory, Killswitch Engage, Atreyu and Shadows Fall. With this new surge of interest in metal do you think it will cause a backlash in the scene due to record companies trying to push out product even if it's shit or cause longtime fans of the underground to turn their back because their favorite secret (REPLACE band here) has been given radio rotation?

Also, do you think Slipknot's release of Iowa helped spark an interest in harder bands to an unknowing audience? (I heard fans of their first album talk about how bad the second release was because it was too hard).

And finally, will we ever see (hopefully soon) a Chimaira, Fear Factory and Strapping Young Lad show? That show would be complete sickness.

Severo.

You have to take into consideration that the metal scene in both Australia and Europe is very different to the states. On mainstream radio in Australia, only metallica gets played (no megadeth thank God).

Metal doesn't need to be mainstream, metal has plenty of loyal fans as well as plenty of culture (seriously). There's nothing I hate more than hearing songs I like on commercial radio.

And what about prog? Prog really isn't radio friendly as most songs go too long for radio standards. Also, people need attention spans to like prog :)

Australia's commercial "ROCK" station plays all the true "ROCK" like NICKELBACK (which plays easily everyday), FUEL, MATCHBOX 20, FOO FIGHTERS (poor guys), all your EMO CRAP, RHCP, PEARL JAM...

I've never heard sepultura, pantera (except for when they did a tribute... fucken bullshit, they never played it before!), SYL, Tool, Mr. Bungle, Janes Addiction, Nevermore, Opeth, Iron Maiden, Kyuss, etc etc.

I say fuck commercial radio and in fact, I'm currently putting an internet radio station together for my friend and it will definitely be spinning plenty of SYL (and anyone else's songs, just let me know) so when that's done, you should all check it out.

#60515 by DimeWeed
Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:06 pm
Australian Radio is shite.

Several years ago i decided to not listen to the radio again - and now evreytime some one comes along, saying "I've got (REPLACE crappy, annoying, mcmanufactured hit radio song here) stuck in my head", I am able to smile and say "i've never heard it". The look of envy is priceless.

#60516 by mo
Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:07 pm
DimeWeed wrote:Australian Radio is shite.

Several years ago i decided to not listen to the radio again - and now evreytime some one comes along, saying "I've got (REPLACE crappy, annoying, mcmanufactured hit radio song here) stuck in my head", I am able to smile and say "i've never heard it". The look of envy is priceless.

I did the same but these days I enjoy only Triple J. I love when people say, "FUCK I HATE THIS SONG!!" and I say, "I haven't even heard it, you should stop listening to the radio"

have you noticed that JJJ is less electronic, more rock these days? It was very electronic for a while but recently i think its changed.

#60536 by Tim
Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:36 am
DimeWeed wrote:Australian Radio is shite.

I also stoped listening to radio some time ago (save for 'full metal racket'). I had been listening to 'Gold 1.04, but lately I've found them to be too repeditive.

Digital Insurrectionist wrote:With this new surge of interest in metal do you think it will cause a backlash in the scene due to record companies trying to push out product even if it's shit or cause longtime fans of the underground to turn their back because their favorite secret (REPLACE band here) has been given radio rotation?

I'd be less than impressed if all of my favorite metal bands were splashed all over mainstream radio.

Also, do you think Slipknot's release of Iowa helped spark an interest in harder bands to an unknowing audience?

I think Slipknot deserve a hell of a lot more credit than they'll ever get for what they've done for metal.

Let's hope not, Chimaira blow.
Last edited by Tim on Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

#60542 by Persuader
Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:30 am
In Sweden, the radio is utter crap. I´d love to be able to tune in to a decent station, but there is none. Nothing. Intet.

#60565 by Olive?
Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:05 am
Here in Italy is the same (if not worse).

I hate the radio.

#63717 by Yok
Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:20 pm
FUCK THE RADIO IN IT'S STUPID ARSE...
If I had the money and knowhow I'd do my best to stop Oz metalheads from complaining about lack of metal that they don't have to buy. Full Metal Racket gets changed times regularly and Heavy Shift on Channel (V) was bumped down to half an hour and the last I heard doesn't exsist anymore (saddest part about that is that it has been replaced by a show dedicated to new school punk)...

I mean, theres nothing for us here. If you live in Sydeny then you are aware of the crappest club in the world, I wont mention it cos I dont want the guy who runs it getting free publicity.

This is confusing me now, this is why I never was good a debates at school.

Radio still sucks though, and Channel (V)'s a fukken joke...

#63719 by flood_of_rain
Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:33 pm
aus radio sucks rocks.
i dont listen to radio or watch tv anymore. its complete shit. australia's music scene needs a shake-up. badly.
im sick of the shit we have, its even worse if your a fan of industrial or any of it's sub-genres

#66483 by selfdestruct
Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:07 am
flood_of_rain wrote:aus radio sucks rocks.
i dont listen to radio or watch tv anymore. its complete shit. australia's music scene needs a shake-up. badly.
im sick of the shit we have, its even worse if your a fan of industrial or any of it's sub-genres

australia needs a kick in the ass bigtime ...I think a real rock n roll band needs to come out and kick ass ...none of this political whiny shit and no 3rd rate deftones cover bands like the butterfly effect :roll:

#66514 by mo
Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:35 am
selfdestruct wrote:
flood_of_rain wrote:aus radio sucks rocks.

australia needs a kick in the ass bigtime ...I think a real rock n roll band needs to come out and kick ass ...none of this political whiny shit and no 3rd rate deftones cover bands like the butterfly effect :roll:

the political shit is always good as it serves a 2nd purpose...

There is plenty of good australian shit out there, we just need more people to get out to the gigs!

Dungeon ain't no 3rd rate deftones cover band. There's pleeeenty.

#66518 by flood_of_rain
Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:39 am
thats true, there are bands out there,
but nobody can really get to hear them unless there is people out there plugging them. im more into underground music than i used to be and its a shame to see so many talented bands thrown aside for ones with a pretty image and songs that are too easy to digest.
imagine if you woke up someday and meshuggah was playing on vide hits? :P

#66612 by mo
Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:25 pm
flood_of_rain wrote:thats true, there are bands out there,
but nobody can really get to hear them unless there is people out there plugging them. im more into underground music than i used to be and its a shame to see so many talented bands thrown aside for ones with a pretty image and songs that are too easy to digest.
imagine if you woke up someday and meshuggah was playing on vide hits? :P

whoa... would I have really woken up?

Imagine watching a Brittney clip and along the bottom comes, "Meshuggah coming up next"

ahhh funny stuff

#66613 by DimeWeed
Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:27 pm
or them covering one of her songs......

#66620 by HevyMinik
Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:53 pm
Or Britney covering their stuff...