Archived
#169250 by NFF
Mon May 05, 2008 6:33 pm
so Dev/gang what kind of IEM's *in ear monitor* or Cans do you ware wile recording/mixing/monitoring .

oh yea everybody else feel free to post your cans too.

im debateing on geting a pair of "audio technica ath-A700" s
#169256 by sj_2150
Mon May 05, 2008 9:20 pm
Dev meditates near a mixing board and telechinetically the music mixes itself the way Dev hears it in his head
#169282 by NFF
Tue May 06, 2008 8:45 am
yes we all know this but lets think for half a second that dev was an actual mortal what would he use for monitoring?
#169284 by sj_2150
Tue May 06, 2008 9:00 am
hes not
#169291 by Biert
Tue May 06, 2008 9:38 am
I don't think it's the exact same model but he probably uses something like this:

#169343 by Atari
Wed May 07, 2008 12:33 am
Biert wrote:I don't think it's the exact same model but he probably uses something like this:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
#169348 by Persuader
Wed May 07, 2008 3:01 am
Yeah the stereo imaging is obviously superior with this device, and the paper roll makes one hell of an absorber!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Take a look at the vids from the Soilwork vocals recording, his monitors are visible at some point. Black..and small. Can't make out the brand, maybe you can?
#169379 by NFF
Wed May 07, 2008 3:30 pm
i just watched it and i dont see dev wareing headphones at all in the vid? i guess you were talking about his studio speakers?
#169387 by Persuader
Thu May 08, 2008 12:38 am
Oh yeah, sorry. Are you sure he use headphones at all?
#169393 by NFF
Thu May 08, 2008 3:58 am
surely he dose cuz theres only so much you can hear through a PA system. *though if you get the super dooper uber audiophile x10 monotors they can be better.* though on the most part a set of $2k headphones with a proper amp would give better definition than say a $20k PA system because of room dynamics and such details. where thats all moot with headphones because sound is directed directly to the ear.
#169430 by Persuader
Fri May 09, 2008 1:00 am
I think it's a matter of taste, personally I like using speakers better just _because_ of the room feel. My ears get screwed up if I use headphones too long. For those small details it might be better though, I guess a mix of both is the best way.
#169447 by NFF
Fri May 09, 2008 10:45 am
yep. they both have their merits. cuz something can sound like an ear orgasm on headphones yet on studio monotors could be screwed up... or vice versa. the room could make it sound good ytet not all its cracked up to be with direct sound. but i think normal people who dont have 40k to throw into a system use cans because for the price/performance their superior. for example a set of sony mdr-r10s run around 4k and are some of the best headphones ever made.
#170607 by Josiah Tobin
Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:20 am
NFF wrote:oh yea everybody else feel free to post your cans too.

Okay!
Sony MDR-V6s. Best $90 bucks I've spent as far as audio production goes... These headphones are perfect to me. I've heard people say they beat out other headphones priced upwards of $1,000, but of course not being a rich bastard audiophile I can't comment on any possible truth in that. :P I'd believe it, though. These are still the best headphones I've tried, let alone owned. Ever since I got them a few years back I use them for everything. Another great bonus is that they barely need to draw any power, so you can use them with any little mp3 player without problems (aside from maybe a verrrry slight dip in bass response). Plus they're sturdy as hell, nice and compact-- they fold up in a really cool way-- and they've got a nice retro 70s "STUDIO MONITOR" declaration printed in big silver text along the top of the headband. Can't beat that. :D

~Josiah
#175884 by ZiniN
Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:24 pm
I use the cans that came with my CD player, 10$.

I'm serious.
#176734 by Stevie G
Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:32 am
I rough-mix on the fly while recording with a pair of Sony MRD-V600 monitor headset, and do my final mixes with a set of M-Audio StudioPro 4 desktop monitors.

I find that a lot is lost through the headset alone, because so much of the way music is heard is effected by room dynamics. Granted, it's not like I drag my rig from room to room in my house to check it, but I do find that final mixes through the M-Audios sound great through whatever I run them through, whereas final mixes through the Sonys tend to sound a bit goofy in open-air.