The place to speak about Ryan Van Poederooyen projects
#58408 by Olive?
Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:10 pm
Hi Ryan!

I'm here again to bother you with my questions... :roll:
I promise that after this post I'll be quiet... For a while! :shock: :lol:
By the way...

1) I've read on your website that you use a triggering system (Alesis D5 Trigger System + DDrum Triggers). Do you use this only live or even in studio?
Why have you decided to use triggers?

2) Can you explain the reason why you've chosen Evans Drumheads? In what they differ from Remo's ones?

3) When you use the click in live situations, which kind of mix do you have in your headphones? (Click only, Click + Samples, Click + Samples + Bass Guitar...)

4) The sound of your drumkit on AE RULES!! How do you tune your toms and your bass drum? The batter head higher than the resonant one, equal pitch, or what?

I apologize again!
#58503 by Drumdude13
Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:20 pm
Olive? wrote:
1) I've read on your website that you use a triggering system (Alesis D5 Trigger System + DDrum Triggers). Do you use this only live or even in studio?
Why have you decided to use triggers?

2) Can you explain the reason why you've chosen Evans Drumheads? In what they differ from Remo's ones?

3) When you use the click in live situations, which kind of mix do you have in your headphones? (Click only, Click + Samples, Click + Samples + Bass Guitar...)

4) The sound of your drumkit on AE RULES!! How do you tune your toms and your bass drum? The batter head higher than the resonant one, equal pitch, or what?

Answer 1)
I use triggers only for live use. I don't like triggering in the studio. I started using triggers when I joined the DTB. Devin is the reason I got into triggers. He wants a trigger on the kick in rehearsal and for live. I only trigger my bass drum, nothing else. I never liked triggers until Dev got me into them. Now I use triggers for every live performance whether it's with DTB or any other band.....

Answer 2)
I like Evans drumheads for the warm, punchy sound they give. Hydraulic Series clear head's and their Coated G2 head's are my favourites, depending on the situation. I think Remo heads are great heads but their clear and coated Emperor heads sound a little too dead for my taste. I use coated heads for most of my session work and I need a warm sounding, durable head from how hard I hit the drums. Evans G2 coated heads are durable and very warm sounding and they are easy to tune along with their Clear Hydraulic series head which are the best heads I've ever encountered for live use. Evans rules !

Answer 3)
For live use and the Studio I like to have just the click in my headphones. The reason being is if any of my band mates are playing slightly off the click, it makes it frusterating for me to concentrate on laying down a solid groove. A drummer drives the band, the band follows the drummer !!!! So if I'm playing live, I'll obviously know the song's and just need the click in my headphones. I'll always have a little guitar and vocals coming thru my onstage monitor just incase anything weird happens but the headphone mix is just click.

Answer 4)
I tune my drums LOW ! I always have the Batter head and Reasonant head tuned fairly close to eachother depending on the type of drum. Like a floor tom, for example, I'll tune the Batter and Reasonant head as low as I can get away with. I like a really punchy, deep drum sound. I pretty much tune them both the same. The snare is the only drum that I like to tune high and get really tight sounding. I like having a tight snare head for all the ghost-stroke playing i like to do. Again....I tune the Reasonant and Batter head the same with my Snare.

I hope I answered your questions good enough. Don't worry about asking questions.....this is an RVPdrums disscussion part of the forum, go nut's and I'll always do my best to answer any fans question. Sometimes it may take a while if I'm busy, but i will get around to them......EXCEPT :speedo: questions :shock: LOL !
Last edited by Drumdude13 on Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

#58520 by Olive?
Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:44 am
THANKS A LOT Ryan!!

You've been very very very kind!

It's a pleasure to be in this Forum. Really!

#60279 by Olive?
Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:55 am
Hey Ryan, can you tell me how do you set the springs of your bass drum pedals?
Are they tight or loose?
I can't really make a choice... In one way I feel comfortable playing slow and groovy parts, in the other way I feel better when I play fast stuff... :?

Thanks... As always!
Last edited by Olive? on Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

#60327 by Drumdude13
Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:37 am
Olive? wrote:Hey Ryan, can you tell me how do you set the springs of your bass drum pedals?
Are they tight or loose?
I can really make a choice... In one way I feel comfortable playing slow and groovy parts, in the other way I feel better when I play fast stuff... :?

Thanks... As always!

I usually have my pedals set right in the middle, not too tight and not too loose....I like generating power for the slow groove stuff and I also like playing the fast double kick stuff, so I find splitting the difference in the middle works best for me.

#60503 by Spanky
Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:04 pm
Hey, same as me too Ryan!!!

#65079 by Olive?
Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:14 pm
Hey Ryan, have you ever checked out an AXIS pedal?

A lot of people say that is the fastest drum pedal ever.
I'm very curious...

#65219 by Drumdude13
Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:37 pm
Olive? wrote:Hey Ryan, have you ever checked out an AXIS pedal?

A lot of people say that is the fastest drum pedal ever.
I'm very curious...

Yup...........seen them, played them.......CAN'T STAND THEM !!!!! LOL !

Sorry for the brutal honesty but I did not like the feel of this pedal at all. They are super quick but too quick in my opinion, they have a real cheap quality feel to them IMO. I like a pedal that has a bit of weight to it, something you can generate heavy power with and do fast stuff with. The Axis pedal felt like I was air banding something :shock: It was designed for speed......but like I've said a million times, speed is NOT everything ! To each their own.....it did'nt work for me and the various styles of music I play.

#65280 by Olive?
Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:32 am
Thanks for the review Ryan!!
If they feel too much light or "airy", I don't like them.
I like to push hard on my pedals too!! :lol: