The place to speak about Ryan Van Poederooyen projects

#64706 by LouiLoomis
Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:20 am
Trevor Dunn is playing on your solo record?!?!?!?!? He is without a doubt my favourite bassist ever, how did the collaboration come about? Please, please, please tell me, Ryan!

Cheers

#64725 by Drumdude13
Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:26 am
LouiLoomis wrote:Trevor Dunn is playing on your solo record?!?!?!?!? He is without a doubt my favourite bassist ever, how did the collaboration come about? Please, please, please tell me, Ryan!

Cheers

Well.......to start off, I'm a big fan of Trevor as well. Mr.Bungle has been one of my favourite bands for years and Trevor's Bass playing always has blown me away.

So....when I was putting the guest's together for my solo project, I found out the band Preacher (Metal band I recorded drum tracks for) wanted to do a jazz cover of one of their metal song's, with me on drums. I wanted to do a messed up Metal/Jazz Fusion song on my solo record as well. So Preacher along with myself, thought it would be cool to get Trevor along with Alex Skolnick to play on our records. I ended up getting in touch with Trevor and Alex after the guy's in Preacher talked to them and told them I was interested in having them appear on my solo record. I told them what the project was about and who was involved (Michael Manring, Gustaf Hielm (ex-Meshuggah), The Dev.....ect) I also let them know that I wanted to be very experimental with this song in particular. Both Trevor and Alex checked out my website, saw what I've done and were interested in what I was going to do on the solo record. So...they agreed to play on my Jazz fusion/Metal song which i'm still currently writing.They also agreed to play a song on the Preacher record as well, which will feature the 2 of them with me on drums.

I hooked up with Trevor for a little bit when he came thru Vancouver in October 2004 with one of his Jazz gig's. It was fuckin' amazing, just him doing stand up Bass with a Harpist. Before and after the show we talked for a little bit, confirmed everything and now it's just a matter of when I record this sucka' (hopefully Spring 2005).

I'm really excited about having Trevor on the record along with everyone else who has agreed to play on it. It's hard to describe what this album will sound like but I'll tell ya' one thing......it will be all over the map as far as music style goes. I plan on laying down my best drumming on this record, in many different styles. Guy's, like Trevor, will challenge and inspire me to lay down my best drummin' !!!! I can't wait ! :P :P :P

#64744 by LouiLoomis
Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:03 am
Thanks for all the info Ryan, I'm sure that playing with all those guests will definitly push you to your limits which can only be a good thing. Mr Bungle is also one of my favourite bands and I pretty much love everything Trevor has done (Fantomas, Trio Convulsant, John Zorn etc). I was lucky enough to catch Fantomas in London last May. To see four of my favourite musicians sharing a stage was amazing. I can't believe I never saw Mr Bungle though :sad:
I'm really looking forward to your solo album, please keep us posted with your progress.