The place to speak about Ryan Van Poederooyen projects

#72682 by EphelDuath666
Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:51 pm
so that´s the song that Geoff was talking about all the time. Very cool stuff. Is that a real choir in that song? And yeah, the drumming sure kicks anus!

#72684 by Drumdude13
Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:58 pm
Here's another review Viv' sent me...... this is from Metalstorm....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Metalstorm Review - Lalu "Oniric Metal"
http://www.metalstorm.ee

Vivien Lalu is a young French guy passionate by music, especially rock and progressive Metal. Our man plays the piano and keyboards but he is also a fine songwriter (that’s a bit normal when your parents was also the members of a Progressive rock band of the 70’s…). After some writing works for Hubi Meisel, Vivien decided to form a band in 2003. The “project” Lalu is born, with of course Vivien but also, Martin LeMar (Tomorrow's Eve), Joop Wolters (Arabesque), Russell Bergquist (ex Annihilator) and Ryan Van Poederooyen the mighty drummer of the Devin Townsend’s band. Believe me, I have the luck to listen a lot of CD everyday but some first albums with such quality, that’s not the same. Aficionados of Progressive Metal, this one is for you!!!

Vivien Lalu is a talented musician; we have the perfect proof with “his” first album “Oniric Metal”. I really like the progressives bands from the very powerful ones like Symphony X, to the classics like Dreamt Theater or the really avant-gardist ones like Pain of Salvation, I can’t say that Lalu is like a mix of all these bands, but for sure we can find some similitude in the music of Vivien. A song like “Night In Poenari” for example has this power that you will find in SX’s music, “Yesterdayman” with its complex lines of keyboards but with a very catchy chorus remember me the last Dream Theater and etc for the other songs... That’s not a copycat don’t misunderstand me, Lalu, is a pure original band with it’s own personal music but, I’m (maybe wrong), I think that I can hear that all these famous bands had an influence on Vivien’s compositions. The music of Lalu is really mature, it must certainly come from the talent of all the famous “guest” musicians of the band, but before all I really think that we are in front of a little genius and I’m ready to bet some litters of good beer that we will hear about this guy in the future. If we had some great progressive bands in France with for example Stephan Forte and his Adagio for sure now will also have to count on Vivien Lalu with his own project.
This album is really diversified, with ballads, fast and aggressive tracks and evidently some very technical and progressive song. I like this album because Vivien knew how to give his emotions through this music. Sadness, love, anger and even fun all that is concentrated in this really good first album, it rocks really…
The production is also very good and Vivien has the luck to be signed by the really good label Lion music, which gave him some good means of production for the recording of the album but also for the cover art of the CD made by my mate Monowasp who will become soon THE Metal designer, like a Travis Smith or a Niklas Sundin, a nice choice and a nice work for a first album, it can’t be better…

That’s a first great album really and I think that you should try to find the first release of Lalu. All the fans of Progressive Metal that you are will be amazed by the quality of the music that you will be able to find on this release. Not any big problems on this album, only some good and nice music for a promising artist who will become a leader of the Progressive French scene without any doubt. Come with me in the Lalu’s world you couldn’t regret it…

Jeff.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 25th...... :twisted:

#72796 by Jack Sparrow
Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:40 am
Progressive Metal that's sound heavy! I love tha big heavy guitar sound. In fact, tha whole sound is amaz'n. Wizzell done production thiznat really appealed ta me! To be honest, I really dizzay kizzle tha leada of this project, Vivien Lalu in tha dogg pound. But I kizzy his musicians. Joop Cracka on guitar (he's definitly a virtuoso!), Rizzy Van P. (Devin Towsend band's brotha & Russell Bergquist (ex-Annihilizzles now motherfuckers lemme here ya say hoe). Does that sounds straight trippin'? In mah book yes! Ok, now that we all knows tizzle those musician is brotha top notch musicians, is tha songs good? Definitly . Ya fuck with us, we gots to fuck you up! Bow wow wow yippee yo yipee yay. And, I must say, wit an chillin' production, solid, creative frontin' skills, n a penchant ta drizzay tha listena in wit tha flow'n, melodic variety of music - T-H-to-tha-izzen I highly, highly recommend Lalu's debut album Oniric Metal thiznat is due on Lion Music sometime in late March. This 55 minute album features 8 songs - One 10 minutes long n anotha 18 minutes long - n Lalu is able ta hold yo attention throughout . Aint no stoppin' this shit nigga. Strong guitar sound & riffs, good atmosphere, powerfull melodic vocals . Nigga get shut up or get wet up. Nigga very strong point is tha pianizzles thizzay definitly add a vizzle coo` vibe on those tracks. You'll a lot of different emotions on this record ta help you tap dat ass. Fizzy sizzoft ta very heavy, fizzy up-beat complex shiznit ta really eazy riffs aww nah. The execution of those musicians is perfect so bow down to the bow wow. The mackin' work frizzay every musical instruments makes this album sound killa . Ill slap tha taste out yo mouf! Amaz'n guitar solos! My favorite songs is Night in Poenari & Moonstruck fo` it's ho-slappin' heavy guitar rizniff n up-beat tempo. A very strong heavy prizzog records tizzle should serve as an exemple ta otha bands!

#72802 by Drumdude13
Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:53 am
Deathstorm wrote:Progressive Metal that's sound heavy! I love tha big heavy guitar sound. In fact, tha whole sound is amaz'n. Wizzell done production thiznat really appealed ta me! To be honest, I really dizzay kizzle tha leada of this project, Vivien Lalu in tha dogg pound. But I kizzy his musicians. Joop Cracka on guitar (he's definitly a virtuoso!), Rizzy Van P. (Devin Towsend band's brotha & Russell Bergquist (ex-Annihilizzles now motherfuckers lemme here ya say hoe). Does that sounds straight trippin'? In mah book yes! Ok, now that we all knows tizzle those musician is brotha top notch musicians, is tha songs good? Definitly . Ya fuck with us, we gots to fuck you up! Bow wow wow yippee yo yipee yay. And, I must say, wit an chillin' production, solid, creative frontin' skills, n a penchant ta drizzay tha listena in wit tha flow'n, melodic variety of music - T-H-to-tha-izzen I highly, highly recommend Lalu's debut album Oniric Metal thiznat is due on Lion Music sometime in late March. This 55 minute album features 8 songs - One 10 minutes long n anotha 18 minutes long - n Lalu is able ta hold yo attention throughout . Aint no stoppin' this shit nigga. Strong guitar sound & riffs, good atmosphere, powerfull melodic vocals . Nigga get shut up or get wet up. Nigga very strong point is tha pianizzles thizzay definitly add a vizzle coo` vibe on those tracks. You'll a lot of different emotions on this record ta help you tap dat ass. Fizzy sizzoft ta very heavy, fizzy up-beat complex shiznit ta really eazy riffs aww nah. The execution of those musicians is perfect so bow down to the bow wow. The mackin' work frizzay every musical instruments makes this album sound killa . Ill slap tha taste out yo mouf! Amaz'n guitar solos! My favorite songs is Night in Poenari & Moonstruck fo` it's ho-slappin' heavy guitar rizniff n up-beat tempo. A very strong heavy prizzog records tizzle should serve as an exemple ta otha bands!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

#77048 by Coma Divine
Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:50 am
Gents, I got mine in the mail today (wrapped in Swedish newspaper, wtf? :shock: ) and it is fantastic!
I see now what Geoff was whackin' off about all these times. :lol: Man, what a great piece of work. Virtuosity everywhere - Martin, what a voice! Reminds me a bit of Geoff Tate...outstanding. Viv The Keymaster!

And Ryan. Ryan was OK I guess...

:lol: :lol:

Excellent drumming brother!
DTB, June (also in the mail today :wink: ) and now for Lalu. Great work my friend.

#77050 by fragility
Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:31 am
I forgot to post in here.

Had the album for about 2 and a half weeks now, and I love it, great sounds and production, great voice, some of the best prog metal melodies I've heard :)

#77896 by WilliamTurner
Mon May 16, 2005 7:57 am
Hi guys,

just a short message to let the germans know, that finally "Oniric Metal" is available at century media germany.

https://shop.centurymedia.de/shop/index ... item=50360

So finally you have a chance to get it in germany and at a very good price.

Greetings and rock on!

Martin

#77947 by Drumdude13
Tue May 17, 2005 9:29 am
WilliamTurner wrote:Hi guys,

just a short message to let the germans know, that finally "Oniric Metal" is available at century media germany.

https://shop.centurymedia.de/shop/index ... item=50360

So finally you have a chance to get it in germany and at a very good price.

Greetings and rock on!

Martin

Well....it's about time is'nt it ! Cool, I'm sure many people in Germany will love this album... *Crosses Fingers*

I've seen 10 copies sold at a store here in Canada already. I could'nt believe it.....that it was here already and selling within days....pretty cool !

#78667 by TinyTears007
Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:45 am
Wow, I just downloaded the track Yesterdayman and wowza! Its great! Exactly what I look for in my prog metal. Great job on the drums too Ryan! I'll be getting this one asap.

Keep up the great work :D

Edit: Its called Yesterdayman :oops: silly me!
Last edited by TinyTears007 on Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

#78701 by Drumdude13
Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:04 am
TinyTears007 wrote:Wow, I just downloaded the track Futureman and wowza! Its great! Exactly what I look for in my prog metal. Great job on the drums too Ryan! I'll be getting this one asap.

Thanks for the kind words Tiny Tears 007. I share the same feelings about this prog metal song and the entire album ! I'm not a fan of most prog metal but this album has something special about it. The song's are excellent throughout, same with the great guest's (Martin, Russ and last but not least, Joop !) Lalu has on it and the production is awesome !

I really hope you dig the whole album when you end up picking it up. highlites for me are Yesterday Man, Night in Poenari and Potboy. Windy is another amazing song same with Wolven Eyes....Shit, I better stop now :lol:

Again, thanks for the kid words and feedback, it's much appreciated ! There has been a great reception to this album and I'm proud to have drummed on it !

RVP

#78702 by fragility
Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:45 am
TinyTears007 wrote:Wow, I just downloaded the track Futureman and wowza! Its great! Exactly what I look for in my prog metal. Great job on the drums too Ryan! I'll be getting this one asap.

Argh! Now I'm bloody singing it and will be all evening! Danm you!

#78737 by TinyTears007
Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:06 am
fragility wrote:Argh! Now I'm bloody singing it and will be all evening! Danm you!

youre welcome :D

#78784 by geoff
Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:09 pm
Coma Divine wrote:I see now what Geoff was whackin' off about all these times. :lol: Man, what a great piece of work. Virtuosity everywhere - Martin, what a voice! Reminds me a bit of Geoff Tate...outstanding. Viv The Keymaster!

I had the chance to listen to the demos and to see Viv in his "studio" play some parts of "Oniric Metal" ... I feel lucky

#78826 by Drumdude13
Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:56 pm
geoff wrote:I had the chance to listen to the demos and to see Viv in his "studio" play some parts of "Oniric Metal" ... I feel lucky

Yeah that would have been cool to see. Viv is really talented and i'm sure it would have been cool seeing all this stuff come together.

Watching an album come together is a very cool thing to experience. Maybe we'll document it a little more on the next Lalu album...hint,hint..... :P

#78857 by geoff
Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:41 am
The problem is that Viv wanted to play keyboards naked when I was here and I refused ... I smelled a trap ... And his feet also :twisted: