The place to speak about Ryan Van Poederooyen projects

What color of Drums, Lugs and Rims should I get ?

17%
17%
5%
5%
24%
24%
5%
5%
#91127 by Drumdude13
Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:07 pm
Hey Everyone,

OK, I've recently been officially endorsed with Pearl Drums. My Pearl Rep and I were going over a couple options for a drumkit that I wanted to order. Originally, I was deciding between a Masters MMX/MRX or a BRX kit. They are beautiful kits and that is the most I could afford, even at an Endorsee discount which is cheap.

Then things got WAY better.....

I got a call from my Rep on Friday and he told me that Pearl got in a rare order on 2 Reference Series Kits !!!!!! Reference are the best drums that Pearl makes along with the Masterworks and the waiting list is from 6 months to a year on these Drumkits. He's giving me an amazing deal on either of these kits and the even better news is that I'll have the kit at my house by the end of October or so !!!!! Thats right, no 6 month to a year long wait for the kit ! I'm going to do it ! The drum sizes I'm going for are as follows, all Reference Series Drums....

14" x 6.5" Snare
12" x 9" Tom
16" x 16" Floor Tom
22" x 20" Kick Drum

You can't order any special hardware for this kit (Black Chrome, Satin or Gold). Reference kits just come with Chrome....My Rep said cuz I'm endorsed with Pearl that he will special order, from Japan, Black Chrome or Gold Reference Series Lugs and Rims !!!!! He said that would take a few months but it's well worth the wait. It will look sick !!!! I'm also getting all Black Hardware and Stands !

All these things are decided on now....the only thing I'm hung up on is the color of the Drums, Lugs and Rims . The two colors I have to choose from for Drum Shell colors are Rootbeer Fade #142 and Twilight Fade #143. I also have to decide on Gold or Black Chrome Lugs and Rims. Heres a link for you guys to suggest what color you think would look best...

http://www.pearldrum.com/refgallery.html

here's another link, close up of the Different Ref Snare Colors. The first 2 pics are of Rootbeer Fade then Twilight Fade.....

http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showt ... hp?t=75219

You can vote for what color you think would look best. It would be either color with Black or Gold Lugs and Rims on the drums.

I'm personally thinking of going for the Rootbeer Fade with Black Lugs and Rims, cuz it will look classy yet Bad Ass ! Otherwise the Twilight Fade could look very cool with Gold Lugs and Rims or perhaps Black Lugs and Rims for a crazy dark look ..... Decisions...

Let me know what you guys think....this is a big decision for me and I'm curious to see what you all think. Thanks !

RVP

#91139 by Atari
Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:51 am
Twilight and black.

#91141 by jon
Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:27 am
fuckin A man! this is excellent news.
the twilight looks great but you've gotta go with the rootbeer and black.

#91166 by Matthijs K.
Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:00 am
Black hardware über alles!! That always looks sick, on ANY drumkit.
And a 22"x20" bass? That's gonna sounds like a frkn cannon! *drool*
At the moment I'm saving to buy a custom kit with black hardware and black stands, it'll look like there's a black hole on the stage :) Now everybody's gonna say that I try to look like RVP. (I'm gonna take that as a compliment btw :D )

By the way, the main difference between Reference and Masters are the bearing edges, right? (I'm no expert on Pearl...) Or are there other differences?

#91167 by Chris
Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:53 am
No matter what your choice will be... They both look kick-ass, so you just can't do wrong. Don't know about the lugs and rims - but:

Twilight rocks.

Rootbeer even more!

#91171 by King Ghidorah
Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:03 am
Hey Ryan, go for rootbeer, the twilight just looks black, which is cool and evil and all that, but not very intresting.

Also i noticed your only going to have two toms, is that your normal setup? is that what you used for recording the new album?

cheers.

#91177 by Drumdude13
Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:42 am
Matthijs K. wrote:
By the way, the main difference between Reference and Masters are the bearing edges, right? (I'm no expert on Pearl...) Or are there other differences?

There are quite a few differences ranging from how they use multiple woods, the bearing edges like you mentioned and a way better lug system. Here's the exact words from the Pearl website about how these drums are all custome made ..............

Reference Series

What if each drum in your drum set was engineered as an instrument unto itself. Each tom designed to respond perfectly within the confines of its respective frequency without compromise over any other area of your kit. This is the mission behind Reference Series. A complete set of individually engineered, incredible sounding drums.

In 1999, Pearl began its most ambitious undertaking, The Masterworks Series, the world’s first truly custom drums. Designed for the player by the player. Every aspect of the manufacturing process was custom made, from the number of wood plies, the wood selection, to the final finish. Over the last 5 years, through arduous listening tests, Masterworks has taught us a great deal about drums and what makes the perfect shell. So forget what you think you know about drums and take a close look at Reference Series, the most acoustically advanced drums in the world. To fully understand the Reference Series you must understand that the desired tonal characteristics of a 10" tom are completely different than that of a 22" bass drum. Thus to use the same material in both drums would result in a compromise.

Reference Series drums use a combination of task specific bearing edges and 3 time proven woods, Birch, Maple, and African Mahogany. Using Maple as a sole material has long been the traditional choice for shells and for good reason. Maple provides smooth, well balanced tone that is perfect for a 12" tom. Subsequently, all Reference Series 12" toms are composed of 6 plies of Maple. The only single wood shell in the series. Our 10" and 8" toms receive 4 plies of Maple with 2 inner plies of Birch for cut and attack. And for maximum response, all 13" and smaller toms have a rounded 45° bearing edge.

Beginning with our 13" tom and larger, Mahogany is added to the inner plies to increase the lower frequencies and accentuate the warmth of the Maple. The 14" toms and larger begin using our fully rounded bearing edge for even more shell contact. Our 18" and 20" bass drums use 4 inner plies of Mahogany with 2 outer plies of Maple. As the size of the bass drums increase, so does the amount of Mahogany. Our 22" and 24" bass drums incorporate an amazing 6 inner plies of Mahogany surrounded by 2 outer plies of Maple for the ultimate in solid responsive bass frequencies.

With Reference Series, it’s not about compromise, it’s about every drum in your kit performing at its optimal capacity.

Here's Pearls words about the Reference Snare Drum I'm getting......

Reference Series Snare Shells

If Reference Series has engineered each tom to function at the highest level possible, you can only imagine the research and development that went into Reference Series Snares. Each shell is composed of a blend of woods totalling an incredible 20 plies. This extra thick shell ensures that no energy is lost through shell vibration and all energy is focused on moving sound waves. The shell’s bearing edge is a 45° to promote a focused contact area with the head for response and crack. 6 inner plies of Birch provides cut and attack while the outer 14 plies of Maple provide warmth and solid midrange punch. Reference Series Snare drums are available in 3 different shell sizes. 14"x 5", 14"x 6.5" and 13"x 6.5" to suit individual preferences and tastes. The heart and soul of your kit is your snare drum and the Reference Series Snare Drums shine through loud and clear.

A 45° bearing edge takes advantage of all 20 plies that Reference Series Snare Drums have to offer. 6 inner plies of Birch surrounded by 14 outer plies of Maple. Simply amazing volume.

Pretty cool huh....I can't wait to get my hands on one of these kits ! Oh yeah, one of the reasons there is a 6 month to a year wait for getting one of these kits is because they are ALL hand made :shock: and selling like mad........ that's why I have to take advantage of this crazy deal !

I can't fuckin' wait !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RVP
Last edited by Drumdude13 on Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

#91178 by Drumdude13
Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:56 am
King Ghidorah wrote:Hey Ryan, go for rootbeer, the twilight just looks black, which is cool and evil and all that, but not very intresting.

Also i noticed your only going to have two toms, is that your normal setup? is that what you used for recording the new album?

cheers.

So far I am leaning towards Rootbeer Fade with Black Lugs and Rims the most but, I'm definitely considering Twilight Fade with Black Lugs and Rims as well.....very tough choice...

As far as 2 toms being my normal setup......

Yup, thats always been my normal setup for years and years. Even before I joined the DTB, I was playing a 4 piece kit for years with God Awakens Petrified, my ex-Heavy band. I do own a 10" Tom as well that I can throw into my setup from time to time, usually for the odd session.

As far as the Studio goes.....

I've recorded both DTB albums, Non-Human Level, Lalu, 3 God Awakens Petrified albums and countless other sessions with a 4 piece kit as opposed to a 5 piece or higher. I go crazy on cymbals and make up crazy beats with them instead lots of drums. I find I rarely play all the drums when there are lots of drums infront of me. I'll always forfit back to a single Rack Tom and a Floor Tom. Although, I'm giving some thought to adding a 18x16 Floor Tom to this new setup. A 12" Rack Tom, 2 deep Floor Toms with a 22x20 Kick Drum would sound absolutely SICK !

We'll see, purchase time is right around the corner....

RVP

#91187 by Matthijs K.
Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:43 am
What I'm wondering is, Pearl craft each tom so that it sounds best, but do the sounds match if you put together an entire kit?
Because with the setup you posted, your rack tom will be maple only, but your floor will have mahogany plies in it as well. Very interesting! Please post a thorough review when you receive your kit, Ryan, I'm dying to know how this monster will sound.

#91217 by EphelDuath666
Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:29 pm
Atari wrote:Twilight and black.

me agrees! :D

#91229 by Drumdude13
Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:10 pm
Matthijs K. wrote:What I'm wondering is, Pearl craft each tom so that it sounds best, but do the sounds match if you put together an entire kit?
Because with the setup you posted, your rack tom will be maple only, but your floor will have mahogany plies in it as well. Very interesting!

I said exactly what your saying to me to my Pearl Rep and he said it will sound very natural with having a 12" Tom with 6 plys of Maple to a 16" Tom with 2 plys of Maple and 4 plys of Mahogany.

Supposedly 6 plys of Maple in a 12" Tom size is the perfect tonal balance for Highs, Mids and Lows in a Drum. The whole Reference Series was based off of that 12" Tom. So when you go to smaller sizes below a 12" you have to have 4 plys of Maple and add a couple plys of Birch to make it warm like the 12" Tom would sound. When you go bigger than a 12" Tom with all Maple shells things get bright so you add 4 plys of Mahogany and only 2 plys of Maple to get the warm tonal sound of the 12" Tom and so on for the rest of the sizes.

It all makes sense. I can't wait to play this kit. I know it's going to be sick ! I'll definitely give you a very descrptive review of the kit after I get it. :P

RVP

#91287 by King Ghidorah
Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:06 am
Thanks for answering my questions Ryan, I must say i'm very impressed by the number of cool sounds you get from only 2 toms.....but you should really get the 18x16 Floor Tom it would be fantastic.

#91293 by Drumdude13
Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:28 am
King Ghidorah wrote:Thanks for answering my questions Ryan, I must say i'm very impressed by the number of cool sounds you get from only 2 toms.....but you should really get the 18x16 Floor Tom it would be fantastic.

I'm thinking of adding that Floor Tom down the road. I just can't afford it right now. It would be sweet to have an 18 x 16 Floor Tom though !

Update for you all.....

I'm leaning towards the Rootbeer Fade with Black Rims and Lugs. Even The Dev thought that color would rule and suit the DTB..... you know, it's more "Earthy". I already own a black Pearl BLX kit that my Pearl Rep is going to "Hot Rod" for me. We are going to deck it out with Black hardware soon, it'll look sick !

I don't want to own 2 totally black kits. A little variety is a good thing. I think I might be ordering my kit within the next couple days, maybe even today....we'll see.... keep ya'll posted !

RVP

#91294 by Biert
Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:38 am
I think the best advise/advice/advize (sorry, what's the correct spelling?) we can give you is to pick what you like best. Twilight or rootbeer, they'll more or less sound the same and they both look awesome with the black hardware.
I like the name of the rootbeer better by the way, haha.

#91298 by Matthijs K.
Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:33 am
Indeed, thanks for spending so much of your time answering our questions.
And errr....I play a four-piece kit as well, it gets the ol' creativity flowing eh?
I once read an interview with Chris Pennie (of Dillinger Escape Plan) and he said that he used a three-piece kit on tour back then. F*ucking hell! That bizarre shit on a three-piece kit! It's insane! It's a good way of telling what kind of drummer somebody is when you ask them about the philosophy behind the size of their setup. The layman often assumes that it is he who has the most stuff who can 'do more'. Well, you get my point.