The place to speak about Ryan Van Poederooyen projects
#134375 by KAPUT
Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:47 am
Hi, dear Ryan!
They call me Dan. And I'm so far from u, dwelling in cold Russia.
I'm not a drummer but I AM the serious fan of your drummin'!!! U are fuckin' amazing! Really. U've got that special feeling of music... I just can't describe it. U know what I'm talkin' about. Thank u! Your playing is BEAUTIFUL from all sides!
I'm playing and singing in the band here in Russia. We doing some metal. And surely we have the drummer. I've showed the Safe Zone DVD to him. He has been amazed! But that's not enough to the drummer. He wants your SCHOOL of playing!!!
So, the question is - have u got the video school of your awesome drumming?
Thanx in advance, Ryan.
#134409 by Drumdude13
Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:44 pm
KAPUT wrote:Hi, dear Ryan!
They call me Dan. And I'm so far from u, dwelling in cold Russia.
I'm not a drummer but I AM the serious fan of your drummin'!!! U are fuckin' amazing! Really. U've got that special feeling of music... I just can't describe it. U know what I'm talkin' about. Thank u! Your playing is BEAUTIFUL from all sides!
I'm playing and singing in the band here in Russia. We doing some metal. And surely we have the drummer. I've showed the Safe Zone DVD to him. He has been amazed! But that's not enough to the drummer. He wants your SCHOOL of playing!!!
So, the question is - have u got the video school of your awesome drumming?
Thanx in advance, Ryan.

Hey Man,

Thanks for the kind words bro. Very cool of you.....

As far as a school of Ryan ...... Nope. No instructional video or anything, just video clips of me on my website ( http://www.rvpdrums.com ) playing some stuff in the studio and live.

I do teach 9 students though, I teach them everything from amateur to intermediate drumming stuff. I find "Instructional Videos" to be very repetitive and boring. So many guy's in these video's (Especially Metal Drummers) say the same stuff as the last guy and it does'nt peak my intrest at all and I've seen tons of these videos. Just my opinion. Would i do a drum video ? Yeah, if the oppertunity should arrise... forsure I would, but I'd try as hard as I could to make it not typical and to show people how to adapt and make their own style of drumming, instead of being a clone of someone else.

So, to answer your question, I don't have a RVP Instructional video and there are no plans in the near future make one. What I can tell you is, I've taken many different drumming approaches, influences, practiced with a click track and blended them together with my own groove and feel to get RVP Drumming. I made my own style from being versatile, adapting and practicing.

I think the most important thing is to try and create your own style, be yourself ! That is the most important. Take your influences and adapt parts of their style to your style, don't rip them off though :lol: I know tons of drummers out there who can easily play what I play in the DTB or on that Safe Zone DVD, but the question is.... would they be able to play with the same feel and emotion that I play with ? Would they come up with the same grooves, fills or feels that I do ? Some could and some definitely cannot ! It's all in how you approach drumming. You don't need a video to teach you that.

The best advice I could give anyone is be versatile. Learn as much as you can, learn as many styles as you can, be awesome with a click track and practice. Don't try and be the next Vinnie Paul, Thomas Haake, RVP :lol:, be yourself and your own style. Don't blow your load in every song, play for the song, no matter what style of music it is. There's always a time or place for crazy stunt drumming :twisted: and if it comes outta' nowhere as opposed to crazy fills all the time.... you'll impress people alot more. That would be my advice.

So.... no RVP video but I wrote you an internet instructional message instead ! :lol: Tell your drummer what I said in this message and he'll work into his own style, which is the best drumming style of all.

All the best,

RVP

#134421 by KAPUT
Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:50 pm
YES! That's that's what I was trying to say! About the emotions and feeling of Dev's music. You just feel it and you know what IS suitable for this or that song and what is NOT. This is very cool!
And... Thank you, Ryan! I truly appreciate your long answer. I didn't tell him about what you wrote, yet... But the problem is that he is exactly the same age as you! He played many years ago with cool bands, but then came the necessity of surviving and getting money. And he has left music. After that we came. And brought him back to metal! 12-year break! I hope you can imagine.
And now it's kinda hard for him to get back all the skills and everything he had 12 years ago.
Sorry for bothering you,
THANK YOU VERY MUCH, RYAN!!!
YOU rOOOOOle!!!!
#134458 by Biert
Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:10 am
Drumdude13 wrote:I do teach 9 students though, I teach them everything from amateur to intermediate drumming stuff.

Hmm how much would an RVP Drum Lesson be? 8)
#134471 by hairy
Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:37 am
Biert wrote:
Drumdude13 wrote:I do teach 9 students though, I teach them everything from amateur to intermediate drumming stuff.

I bet it would cost one RT...

:wink:
#134485 by Drumdude13
Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:12 am
hairy wrote:
Biert wrote:

I bet it would cost one RT...

:wink:

:twisted:

And then some...... :lol:

#134581 by sj_2150
Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:16 am
*shakes fist* damn you Rusty Trombone! ruining my appetite!